Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Zeiss on Pentax

Just read the news about the ZF line becoming available for Pentax in the K-A mount configuration.

Man oh man I can't wait! The excitement!

Hello ZK 85mm f/1.4!

However, this means that I'll have to sell off my existing bach of portrait lenses. FA77, V75 and the FA50/1.4.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
-Asad

07-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the Zeiss ZF lenses are over-hyped lenses that can't hold a candle to their Pentax equivalents. They're not even close.

Interestingly, though, is that the wonderful Zeiss 85/1.4 for Minolta (ugh...Sony) mount is a completely and totally different lens construction from the awful ZF one. The difference in rendering is remarkable. If they make the Minolta mount equivalents for Pentax - then I'm psyched!

Otherwise...bleh.
07-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've actually been considering picking up a Zeiss Sonnar 180mm F2.8 in M42 mount (or Pentacon with M42 adapter) for a fast long zoom... but it's apparently a monster of a lens, and I wonder how much the upcoming Pentax 200mm F2.8 is going to go for. I did bid on a Zeiss 135mm F3.5 M42 but it went higher than I wanted.

I fear that brand-new Zeiss lenses will be too dear for my wallet... but the more options, the better!
07-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Asad - do you have a link? I don't see anything on Zeiss' site.

07-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think there is anything in public from Zeiss yet. Here is a link to links:

New Carl Zeiss Lenses for Pentax K Mount: The dreaded DPR place:)

regards,
07-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I don't think there is anything in public from Zeiss yet. Here is a link to links:

regards,
Thanks, Jonas. I'll wait until it comes here to start looking.
07-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Just read the news about the ZF line becoming available for Pentax in the K-A mount configuration.

Man oh man I can't wait! The excitement!

Hello ZK 85mm f/1.4!

However, this means that I'll have to sell off my existing bach of portrait lenses. FA77, V75 and the FA50/1.4.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
-Asad
Well Asad,

I agree with you that it is good news, but it is the upcomming ZK 25mm f2.8 that I find interesting, especially with the FA*24 out of production.

Should the romours be true, then it will be in my bag the minute it becomes available.
Unless I see a new FA*24 somewhere or pentax decides to launch a DA*24 that is
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Asad, please let me know if I can take a couple of your portrait lenses off your hands

I promise that I'll sell them back to you for the same price if you decide it was a mistake.

Personally I'd see if I could demo it before I bought any expensive lens. It might not be what your looking for.

07-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I think that the Zeiss ZF lenses are over-hyped lenses that can't hold a candle to their Pentax equivalents. They're not even close.

Interestingly, though, is that the wonderful Zeiss 85/1.4 for Minolta (ugh...Sony) mount is a completely and totally different lens construction from the awful ZF one. The difference in rendering is remarkable. If they make the Minolta mount equivalents for Pentax - then I'm psyched!

Otherwise...bleh.
Eh? Why do you say that? Have you played with the ZF 85/1.4? Don't kill my excitement now...

From what I read at photozone, that 85 is even better than the Nikon 85/1.4 D, a lens I've used and seen work from first hand, if it is better than the Nikkor, I'm happy. Saturated colour, high resolution and creamy blur don't know what else I would be missing?

Would hate to go looking for an old Pentax holy-grail lens that cost twice of what it should, and have been itching for an 85/1.4, this seems to fit the bill.

Still, please let me know why you think these lenses are over-hyped, wait... not lenses, since I don't care about the others, but this 85mm lens in particular.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Asad - do you have a link? I don't see anything on Zeiss' site.
Yeah, it's the same URL from the DPreview link that Jonas posted.
07-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote

regards,
That link leads straight into Mordor!
07-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Asad, please let me know if I can take a couple of your portrait lenses off your hands

I promise that I'll sell them back to you for the same price if you decide it was a mistake.

Personally I'd see if I could demo it before I bought any expensive lens. It might not be what your looking for.
Yeah, I'll definitely test it out before I get rid of my beloved FA77 and V75 lenses. Ever since I got those, everything around them has changed, sold, bought new, these two remain still, let's see.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-05-2007, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Eh? Why do you say that? Have you played with the ZF 85/1.4? Don't kill my excitement now...

From what I read at photozone, that 85 is even better than the Nikon 85/1.4 D, a lens I've used and seen work from first hand, if it is better than the Nikkor, I'm happy. Saturated colour, high resolution and creamy blur don't know what else I would be missing?

Would hate to go looking for an old Pentax holy-grail lens that cost twice of what it should, and have been itching for an 85/1.4, this seems to fit the bill.

Still, please let me know why you think these lenses are over-hyped, wait... not lenses, since I don't care about the others, but this 85mm lens in particular.

Cheers,
-Asad
What I took out of the Photozone review was that the lens was sharp and contrasty. Creamy bokeh? No way! The rendering of the fence/ivy is worse than any lens I've seen. It has nasty CA too.

IMO it was designed to do well shooting test charts, but not much else. The Pentax-FA* 85/1.4 blows it out of the water. Heck, the FA 50/1.4 blows it out of the water!

Now that is just the ZF version of the lens. From this review on Dyxum.com, the Sony version looks much better. It has a totally different lens construction and you can see a much nicer bokeh from it.

I just got a Pentax-FA* 85/1.4 for under $1000, so they are still out there. I know that you and I have been online for about the same time, and it was only about a year and a half ago that B&H had new FA* 85/1.4s in stock. So, I consider the additional cost between the $800 new and $940 used to be my idiot tax for not buying it then. You should probably look at it the same way!

To be fair, I do think the ZF 25mm lens looks good. And I haven't seen much from the macro lenses but they should be ringers as well.

--Sean
07-05-2007, 06:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I am glad to see anyone bring out lenses to fit Pentax. It only adds to our choices and reinforces Pentax as being in the game. I won't be selling my 77 for a Zeiss. Only lenses I like as well as the 77 are made by Leica.
thanks
barondla
07-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I just got a Pentax-FA* 85/1.4 for under $1000, so they are still out there. I know that you and I have been online for about the same time, and it was only about a year and a half ago that B&H had new FA* 85/1.4s in stock. So, I consider the additional cost between the $800 new and $940 used to be my idiot tax for not buying it then. You should probably look at it the same way!
--Sean
So you did get a FA85/1.4. Congratulations. That is a superb lens.