Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Check: Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX DC MACRO HSM

I'm a bit tempted to go ahead and get this lens - but figured I'd ask here first.
Does anyone have it? Any thoughts? I know the previous non-HSM version was pretty decent - but are these two optically identical? Did IQ improve/degrade?
I haven't seen a review yet in our database, and google doesn't turn up much either (it's got 4.5 stars in most internet stores)

Also, if anyone has 18-50/2.8~4.5, I'd like to hear about that one too.
It's half the price, and has OS (in-lens shake reduction) and HSM as well.

02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #2

I can't comment on the actuall IQ of that lens. But you may want to wait with your decision until the newly announced Sigma 17-50 2.8 OSM HSM is available. It will at least make prices on its predecessor (18-50 2.8) drop ;-)

Check Sigma's website for infos.
02-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The other day i contacted Sigma about this lens. And the answer i got is that: There is no such lens. Even though one can asume there is because of this page:
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Scroll down a bit and you'll see this: * For Pentax mount, if the camera body does not support HSM, auto focus will not be available.

Thats why i contacted them. I wanted to know if there IS or IS NOT a 18-50 2,8 EX macro HSM in Pentax mount.

The lens that will be avaliable for Pentax/Sony will be the next OS HSM lens that Sigma will realease any day soon.

But there's still the screw driven 18-50 2,8 version out there......
02-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I can't comment on the actuall IQ of that lens. But you may want to wait with your decision until the newly announced Sigma 17-50 2.8 OSM HSM is available. It will at least make prices on its predecessor (18-50 2.8) drop ;-)
True, I can wait....

QuoteQuote:
The other day i contacted Sigma about this lens. And the answer i got is that: There is no such lens. Even though one can asume there is because of this page:
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Scroll down a bit and you'll see this: * For Pentax mount, if the camera body does not support HSM, auto focus will not be available.

Thats why i contacted them. I wanted to know if there IS or IS NOT a 18-50 2,8 EX macro HSM in Pentax mount.

The lens that will be avaliable for Pentax/Sony will be the next OS HSM lens that Sigma will realease any day soon.

But there's still the screw driven 18-50 2,8 version out there......
Huh? i'm not exactly sure what you mean... I thought it's just like, say, Pentax 17-70, that doesn't have the screw drive - SDM only.
And also, what's this then?

02-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
True, I can wait....
Huh? i'm not exactly sure what you mean... I thought it's just like, say, Pentax 17-70, that doesn't have the screw drive - SDM only.
And also, what's this then?
Trust me, i am confused to. I can only refer to what i posted above. The link i posted is to the Sigma site, and thats the same lens as in your link.

I asked them, remeber. And the reply was: There is no HSM version of this lens avaliable in Pentax mount. But the new one 18-50/2,8 macro OS HSM will be avaliable in Pentax mount.

Go to their site and navigate to "support" and fill in the form and ask them. They will answer in two days.