Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Pentax lenses prices

Hello, I'm in the market for a dSLR and the K-x caught my eye. It would be my first SLR but not the last. Now the price of the kit is very good, but how does the price of lenses compare to the comparable lenses from other competitors (mainly canon and nikon).
Thanks

02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's not a ton of overlap, but where there is, some are chepaer from Canon, some from Nikon, some from Pentax. You pretty much need to just check prices on specific lenses you might be interested in, from reputatable dealers like B*H in the US. In the long run, I'd say it would pretty much average out.
02-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

Interesting finding -- Amazon recommends me Sony lenses, and they all are much cheaper than Pentax's. 50/1.8 for $124! Now there's food for thought.
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Interesting finding -- Amazon recommends me Sony lenses, and they all are much cheaper than Pentax's. 50/1.8 for $124! Now there's food for thought.
Until you look at the prices of their Zeiss lenses and compare that to Pentax's limited's and DA*'s.

Comparing apples to apples though:
Sony 50mm /1.4 = $369.00
Pentax 50mm /1.4 = $359.00

c[_]

02-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Quote
Hello, I'm in the market for a dSLR and the K-x caught my eye. It would be my first SLR but not the last. Now the price of the kit is very good, but how does the price of lenses compare to the comparable lenses from other competitors (mainly canon and nikon).
Thanks
If I had to do it over, I would have waited for the Canon 550D (or whatever its marketed as in your locale). For starter primes, Canon has some very good options (cheaper than Pentax), so the camera price difference can be made up for in your lens purchases, depending on the lens selection you're going after. The dealers here also run some very good price promotions for Canon from time to time, but not so much for Pentax.

But I'm also getting to like my K-x more everyday..
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
If I had to do it over, I would have waited for the Canon 550D (or whatever its marketed as in your locale). For starter primes, Canon has some very good options (cheaper than Pentax), so the camera price difference can be made up for in your lens purchases, depending on the lens selection you're going after. The dealers here also run some very good price promotions for Canon from time to time, but not so much for Pentax.

But I'm also getting to like my K-x more everyday..
This Canon is nice, I don't know how I missed it when I was looking at SLRs. got to find some review and comparisons.

See I wanted to get Pentax, to be different than all the people I know and see, but I also want to upgrade to pro-sumer maybe even pro in future and I would like the lenses I buy now, fit the future camera. Does Canon and Nikon have the same compability with their older lenses and I don't mean from seventies like pentax, but between the different older models of the cameras from the same brand, are they compatible?

Thanks
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Since I'm planning on upgrading some time in the future, would you guys recommend getting a pro-sumer camera now, and not spend the money twice?

02-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Unless you like compact gear, i don't get why anyone uses Pentax.
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont get why people who seem to dislike pentax frequently bash them on a dedicated PENTAX forum.....
02-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Unless you like compact gear, i don't get why anyone uses Pentax.
I don't get why people publicly announce their ignorance.
02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's not bashing and it's not ignorance.

What competitve advantage does the mount have? The gear is smaller and lighter than it's direct competitors and let's say the weather sealing too.

The price advantage is gone on other than a few specific items, Nikon has more wide lenses, Canon more long lenses, their gear is easier to find, much easier to find bargains used and sensors that are at least on par (usually better) than Pentax's.

Our AF is still behind, our in lens motors are miles and miles behind, accessories are WAY easier to find and usually cheaper on other mounts, our flash system is abysmal ... i'm not seeing a lot of reasons other than the fact we have things like a 21ltd or 77ltd or the K7 which are all smaller and way lighter than anything produced by our competitors.

If you'rre strapping on nothing but f/2.8 or f/4 zooms ..... why?
02-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
It's not bashing and it's not ignorance.
There was a poll on why people buy Pentax gear. So you can refer to that if you still don't "get it."

Also, the way you phrased your post diminished the significance of small size. Go to an Olympus or Leica forum and replace "Pentax" with "Olympus" or "Leica" in your post and await the responses.
02-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't use Olympus or Leica so of course it'd create a shit storm.
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
Guys, let's stick to the thread. I was wondering how does k-7 compare to this 550d. I have been reading that k-x has better picture quality than k-7 and it is the top of the line pentax. If that's the case I would have nothing better to upgrade to.

Also, how important is the weather resist. I mean, what will happen with a not WR camera if I took it out at say -25 C about 0 F?
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Quote
Guys, let's stick to the thread. I was wondering how does k-7 compare to this 550d. I have been reading that k-x has better picture quality than k-7 and it is the top of the line pentax. If that's the case I would have nothing better to upgrade to.

Also, how important is the weather resist. I mean, what will happen with a not WR camera if I took it out at say -25 C about 0 F?
There will be something new to upgrade to eventually. The camera makers do a good job of that.

I know my non-WR camera works fine at -27ºC for as long as I want. For me, that's about 5 minutes.

I want to add some useful advice but it's mostly been covered. There are differences between K-x and K-7, or other brands. I would try not to worry that much about camera IQ. As stupid as it sounds, in the real world, no one will see those differences in your photos, no matter how obvious it looks on test sites. Eventually, the lenses will make many of the choices for you. If you can, plan out the lenses you'd use with each system and look at those costs and compromises. Once you have several lenses, switching brands is at least annoying, if not costly.