Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any info on the Sigma 28mm F1.8 II Aspherical (58mm)

Just wondering if anyone here owns (or owned) the Sigma 28mm F1.8 II Aspherical Lens (58mm)? There was no entry for it in the review section and I only found a limited amount of info on it on the web. Specifically, I was wondering how it compares to the Pentax F28/2.8 and how it performs below f/2.8. Thanks.

Amazon.com: Sigma 28mm F1.8 II Aspherical Lens for Pentax-AF Camera: Camera & Photo

Last edited by dgaies; 08-15-2010 at 05:05 AM.
02-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just sold this lens in marketplace. Here are some information that I provided to the buyer.

Hope this helps you. Do I recommend the lens? Yes, it is inexpensive to get in the $150 to $200 range, I think. Consider the cost, it is quite good overall. I did some low light shots in f/1.7 in my blogs, you can refer to it for reference. Build is not as good as the Pentax equivalent. It is all plastic and lightweight. It is also full frame compatible. I won't recommend it for manual focusing as it's focus throw is quite short for good MF. The AF is fast in my K20D.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
02-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. It's funny, now that you gave me the links, I actually do remember readings about the lens on your website a while back and actually already had your page bookmarked on my computer. It was your info/shots about the Tamron 28-75 that made me get that lens, which has been one of my favorites.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I just sold this lens in marketplace. Here are some information that I provided to the buyer.

Hope this helps you. Do I recommend the lens? Yes, it is inexpensive to get in the $150 to $200 range, I think. It is quite good in sharpness to me. I did some low light shots in f/1.7 in my blogs, you can refer to it for reference. Build is not as good as the Pentax equivalent. It is all plastic and lightweight. It is also full frame compatible. I won't recommend it for manual focusing as it's focus throw is quite short for good MF. The AF is fast in my K20D.

Thanks,
Hin
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the manual focus version of this lens, but only got it a short time ago. I have noticed some flare and mine did not come with a hood, so I'm still working on a hood solution. I haven't used it enough to really evaluate IQ in any meaningful way. Its size can go both ways: a lot bigger than a Pentax-F 28mm f2.8 or a lot smaller than the newest Sigma version. Construction feels sturdy enough. Manual focus feel is OK except the sweep is the same as an AF lens. It's OK so far.

My plan is to compare this to a Vivitar 28mm f2 (K11) and the F28/2.8. Right now I use the Vivitar for low light and the Pentax for AF and convenience. If the Sigma is comparable to the Vivitar I'll sell the Vivitar but probably keep the F28/2.8 for its size.

02-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Thanks. It's funny, now that you gave me the links, I actually do remember readings about the lens on your website a while back and actually already had your page bookmarked on my computer. It was your info/shots about the Tamron 28-75 that made me get that lens, which has been one of my favorites.
Thank you for the kind comments. I am ONE of the lens junkie who never wise up in buying overlapping lenses. Yes, I love zooms and I love primes and I live with that irony all of my Pentax life. And honestly, Pentax does not give us the good and reliable options in normal zoom and hence I have both Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-5.6 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I can't part with each of them and I reasone with my very evil and the rational part of my mind -- hell with overlapping and I use them both for difference occasions. I use the Tamron zoom for serious shooting in event and portraits and I use my Sigma zoom for traveling and walk-around. The Tamron in particular works better on portraits and it works well with AF540 flash.

I personally like 24mm in street shooting. If you have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, I see alternatives in getting a prime in 24mm or lower such as the Pentax DA 21mmm f/3.2 limited.

Thanks,
Hin
02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thank you for the kind comments. I am ONE of the lens junkie who never wise up in buying overlapping lenses. Yes, I love zooms and I love primes and I live with that irony all of my Pentax life. And honestly, Pentax does not give us the good and reliable options in normal zoom and hence I have both Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-5.6 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I can't part with each of them and I reasone with my very evil and the rational part of my mind -- hell with overlapping and I use them both for difference occasions. I use the Tamron zoom for serious shooting in event and portraits and I use my Sigma zoom for traveling and walk-around. The Tamron in particular works better on portraits and it works well with AF540 flash.

I personally like 24mm in street shooting. If you have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, I see alternatives in getting a prime in 24mm or lower such as the Pentax DA 21mmm f/3.2 limited.

Thanks,
Hin
I've became quite a lens junky as well. I currently have 9 primes (DA15, DA21, F28, DA35, DA40, F50/1.7, A50/1.2, FA77, Tamron 90) and 4 zooms (DA16-45, Tamron 28-75, DA50-135, DA55-300). I realize at some point I'll have to figure out what I actually use and sell some of them.

The Sigma looked interesting because of it's relative small size (vs the newer 77mm front element Sigmas), fast aperture and reasonable price. I realize it will never be in the same league as the 31, but on the other hand it's 1/5 the price. I also assume it wonder render quite as nicely as the F28, but then again it's 1-1/2 stops faster (assuming I can get f/1.7 on the Kx like you got on the K20d).

Anyway, being the junky I am, I just went ahead and bought it last night and will sort it all out later Worst case I'm sure I can find a good home for it.
02-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
... I also assume it wonder render quite as nicely as the F28, but then again it's 1-1/2 stops faster (assuming I can get f/1.7 on the Kx like you got on the K20d).
It will show f1.7 on the camera and in EXIF but there's no difference between f1.7 and f1.8.
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought one of these on Ebay .. will be interesting to see how it compares to the FA 28mm.

03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it would be a good alternative for the FA31, not to mention the 28mm focal length is much better with regards to wider FOV portraits. that 3mm difference is a lot. also the aperture speed gives you the essential shallow DOF that you might need, though not as quite superbly sharp like the FA31, but a bit of pp work would help. bokeh is good but not great as I see it.