Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Ed in GA

Manual Lens, what a neat feature.

I've just had my first opportunity to use a fully manual lens on my K100D.

What a neat set up it is. First thing, the camera asked for the F/L for the shake reduction. Then, I set the f-stop, pressed the ae-l button and took a shot. Nearly perfect exposure.

I can see many more fully manual lenses in my future.

07-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I've just had my first opportunity to use a fully manual lens on my K100D. What a neat set up it is.
Isn't that great how Pentax implemented support for K and M lenses with AE-L to stop down, meter, and set exposure? Better than with the old film bodies!

Hint: I suggest you to change AE-L functionality in the custom menu to "Tv Shift". That way AE-L will work the same way with ALL lenses setting shutter speed based on aperture for anything you mount on your camera. (You can even use a glass, jar or an ashtray instead of a lens and it would work the same way producing properly exposed frame!!! Amazing!)

Did you know that when using DOF preview with K and M lenses camera stops down the apreture and turns on the meter so you can actually change aperture and see real-time how that affects metering? Like with old film bodies. That way you can set shutter speed and change aperture to your preference, no AE-L needed. Also, if using spot meter holding down DOF preview lets you explore the scene.

BTW, M50/2 looks great mounted on a DS or K100D :-)
07-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
amazing experience, isn't it?
I like it too, just my only manual lens is bit too long for my liking. I bought it for it's fast f2.8, but I kind of forgot that focal lenght will be multiplied by 1,5 and that 135mm will effectively become 200mm, but if I will be able to get something shorter (much shorter) I won't hesitate to go for manual lens, if available. It's great how all the old lenses are compatible. I have to admit it was one of main reasons why I went for Pentax
07-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It would be nicer if we could still use exposure compensation as an input the the system, i.e. have it apply an offset to the metered exposure every time one presses the green button (K10D) rather than having to dial in desired compensation every time you meter.

07-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Compensation with manual lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
It would be nicer if we could still use exposure compensation as an input the the system, i.e. have it apply an offset to the metered exposure every time one presses the green button (K10D) rather than having to dial in desired compensation every time you meter.
Interesting. However, for lighting conditions that do not change rapidly the same aperture and shutter speed would work for multiple shots. Also, using spot meter and metering from an average gray area would again result in proper exposure without any need for compensation. All other situations with rapidly and/or drastically changing light intensity are really rare.

Note that with constant lighting variations in subject/scene reflectance DOES NOT REQUIRE compensation: if for example 1/125 f/5.6 renders white as white, then the same 1/125 f/5.6 will render black as black and gray as gray -- no need to change anything!