Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I agree it is obvious that 31mm and 43mm are different but 31mm is barely wide angle on film and not at all on digital. It is still worth comparing them since both are part of the same series and are available to buy today.

I am not doing this to say anything bad about either lens. In fact both are incredible! For example vignetting doesn't matter to me at all. often it is a good thing to have and when not it is so easy to correct. But I cannot ever once in my life remember removing vignetting. It is simply a non-issue for me. However I mentioned it to be complete.

I did not of course mention the most important point of comparison for many: the FA31 is twice the price of the FA43.

05-21-2010, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I agree it is obvious that 31mm and 43mm are different but 31mm is barely wide angle on film and not at all on digital. It is still worth comparing them since both are part of the same series and are available to buy today.

I am not doing this to say anything bad about either lens. In fact both are incredible! For example vignetting doesn't matter to me at all. often it is a good thing to have and when not it is so easy to correct. But I cannot ever once in my life remember removing vignetting. It is simply a non-issue for me. However I mentioned it to be complete.

I did not of course mention the most important point of comparison for many: the FA31 is twice the price of the FA43.
I genrally agree with this but with 2 points I canīt:
1 - on film (135 format) 35mm is considered moderate wide, 28mm wide... Iīd assusme then that 31 would still fit into wide category...of course on digital itīs wide normal (thatīs why I said itīs great replacement for 43ltd in terms of FOV)
2 - in UK: 43ltd is generally in region of 750GBP and 31ltd is around 1000-1100 GBP.... hardly twice the price...

Anyway, why I pointed out that 31 is wide etc... Obviously design priorities with these two as intented for their original purpose were very different IMO.
05-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I genrally agree with this but with 2 points I canīt:
1 - on film (135 format) 35mm is considered moderate wide, 28mm wide... Iīd assusme then that 31 would still fit into wide category...of course on digital itīs wide normal (thatīs why I said itīs great replacement for 43ltd in terms of FOV)
On APS-C 28mm is normal, so the FA31 is on the wrong side of that to be considered wide. On film I always considered 35-50mm to be normal as many shooters used a 35mm as their standard lens. I guess it's a matter of interpretation and preference.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
2 - in UK: 43ltd is generally in region of 750GBP and 31ltd is around 1000-1100 GBP.... hardly twice the price...
Ah yes, the FA43 went up a huge amount with the price rise last year. A shame. I bought mine brand new for $400 so I consider myself lucky.
05-22-2010, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Just the effects of shallow depth of field, nothing more nothing less.