Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pancake syrup, oops

I need some cleaning advice.

This morning I took my family to a local charity pancake breakfast by the Kiwanis. Having been out shooting landscapes a little earlier, I had my old film MX with me, and on it, my favoritest lens ever -- the A28/2.0.

Unfortunately, at some point the lens got pancake syrup drizzled on it. My wife, Jezebel, probably did this (the camera was on the table between us, she was on my left, but both of us are right-handed), but of course she denies it. The syrup ran into the crack between the inner lens barrel and the focusing ring. When I noticed it, I just used a paper napkin to dab up what was still on the outside, then ran the focus to minimum to expose more of the barrel and did it again. After running the focus in and out and repeating the process several times, I ran out of visible liquid syrup to remove.

The focus ring turns normally, and maybe there's no harm done. But I'm fairly certain there is more sticky stuff inside, and I don't know how deep.

In my position, would you assume there is no problem, and just be prepared to send it off for professional cleaning if problems do develop? Or is there something I can do safely do to get any goop out now, before it turns to cement?

Under no circumstances am I willing to take this lens apart myself.

02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You used her name? I hope she doesn't google anything about this incident. Way to throw her under the bus!

Perhaps you should contact Eric at pentaxs.com
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck with the lens, I just used Eric to fix one and he did a great job, fast, inexpensive.

I googled "pentax jezebel pancake syrup" and this thread is #1 in the list as expected.
02-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
okay, that's not her real name.

Once I conspired with some folks on another forum to do some googlebombing so a search for "midget pudding wrestling" would go there. Ah, good times.

Anyway, when I mentioned professional cleaning, Eric was who I had in mind. A while back he got my M35/2.8 going when it had a sticky iris, and yes, he charged quite reasonably and did a fine job. The only question now is whether there's anything I can do in the meantime to make that unnecessary.

02-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't expect any serious problems from your description. A large quantity of syrup might gum up the focusing. If the lens still focuses OK after you might expect syrup to dry, you're probably OK. But a professional cleaning isn't a waste of money either. Eventually syrup might hold more sand, dirt or grit in there and cause trouble.