Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Peter. eventhough you consider it as a joke, branding people as fanboys just because they prefer using another brand is quite unethical, especially if you try to find faults in a lens that owners don't mind at all. it is not a matter of being blind but rather a matter of compromising.

the Pentax for that matter is really slow, and I concur with Peter with a great extent of affirmation. the first time that I held a Pentax 55/1.4, the first thing I noticed with it is it's slow focus, and have trouble locking on a moving subject. it is silent alright, but slow. and I find that shortcoming of the lens more critical than a set of onion rings. now, can I accuse that Pentax 55 owners are fanboys because they want an underperforming slow-focusing lens?

don't worry, I'm not a Sigma fanboy. and I prefer Pentax lenses as much as possible. but I won't deny the fact that some Sigma lenses can do some real damage as well. plus they are cheaper and offer some focal lengths, and focusing performance that Pentax doesn't offer. of course, there are compromises.

03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I agree with Peter. eventhough you consider it as a joke, branding people as fanboys just because they prefer using another brand is quite unethical, especially if you try to find faults in a lens that owners don't mind at all. it is not a matter of being blind but rather a matter of compromising.
Cool story, bro.
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok We can all move back to the topic at hand. As the OP says, I'd really like to see some direct comparisons and thoughts from anyone who's owned the Sigma especially if they have the FA50mm to compare against. Since so many people own the FA, it's a great benchmark to judge the Sigma or the 55mm against. Focus speed, bokeh and wide open sharpness.
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Cool story, bro.
you're welcome.

03-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ok We can all move back to the topic at hand. As the OP says, I'd really like to see some direct comparisons and thoughts from anyone who's owned the Sigma especially if they have the FA50mm to compare against. Since so many people own the FA, it's a great benchmark to judge the Sigma or the 55mm against. Focus speed, bokeh and wide open sharpness.
my only complaint about the 55 is focusing speed. other than that, it is better than the FA50.

about the Sigma, it's a darn fat lens. other than that, it is better than the FA50.
I had no complaints with the bokeh, wide open sharpness and focusing speed. but it appears that the Sigma maybe slightly sharper, IMO.

anyway, I have to consider size because I have issues with fat lenses.
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #36
MCR
Inactive Account

Hi Sigma owners! To much words, to little photos....
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
Hi Sigma owners! To much words, to little photos....
you can use search menu.

03-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm simply trying to decide on the best lens upgrade from the FA50mm....
There may not be a worthwhile upgrade.
I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as Peter, although for me it's just a hobby and he's the one who has to make a living at it. I recently sold my FA-50/1.4, it just didn't impress me and besides, I have three other lenses (zooms, admittedly) that cover 50mm. I mostly thought the DA*50-135 would suffice, but there is that lure of a fast prime. I do like Pentax equipment but I'm also practical, so I'm not averse to trying other brands, and I thought perhaps the Sigma might fit the bill. But it seems none of the choices is "perfect"... (So at present my LBA remains unmitigated!)
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think the biggest differentiator between the lenses is the bokeh. The sigma bokeh at wide open is just bizarre.

I'd love to see some bokeh examples with a Pentax body though, as the examples above, and also the photozone.de samples aren't from a Pentax.
03-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: anyway, I have to consider size because I have issues with fat lenses.
Understandable, but you get something in return for the fat front element of the Sigma: excellent vignetting numbers.
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Bokeh may be subjective, but comparing it need not be. If you want to compare bokehs of 2 lenses, you need to shoot the same scenes. Distance from subject to background needs to be stable, from lens to lens. In general, the bokeh will look nicer if there is a larger distance between the subject and what is behind it.

It is silly to have someone post examples of what they see as "bad" bokeh with a lens, when they purposefully seek out shots which will be unflattering to a lens. Night shots. especially, with people holding lights, will of course generate circular highlights in the shot, because slower shutter speeds are going to detect the motion of the light (candle for example) and highlight that in the shot.

You can post shots under these conditions but, to be fair, you need to subject both lenses to the same, stressful bokeh conditions. Once again it all boils down to the Apples to Apples Equation.
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Bokeh may be subjective, but comparing it need not be. If you want to compare bokehs of 2 lenses, you need to shoot the same scenes. Distance from subject to background needs to be stable, from lens to lens. In general, the bokeh will look nicer if there is a larger distance between the subject and what is behind it.

It is silly to have someone post examples of what they see as "bad" bokeh with a lens, when they purposefully seek out shots which will be unflattering to a lens. Night shots. especially, with people holding lights, will of course generate circular highlights in the shot, because slower shutter speeds are going to detect the motion of the light (candle for example) and highlight that in the shot.

You can post shots under these conditions but, to be fair, you need to subject both lenses to the same, stressful bokeh conditions. Once again it all boils down to the Apples to Apples Equation.
I believe this is more of a fair comparison. showing the lens at it's worst it's more like fault finding. it's better to show what the lens is capable of both in good and bad as to avoid any signs of favoring one lens over the other. I understand asdf's sentiments, but I never seen him post or acknowledge a good image coming from the Sigma. and more like saying that the Sigma can't produce any good images by doing so. it's a matter of what people are willing to compensate and not dismiss the fact that they won't like the lens entirely because of one person's OOF bokeh circle preference. pros and cons must be presented rather than cons.
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #43
TKH
Veteran Member

I havnt owned the Sigma lenses, but I have owned the DA*55 and the FA43 and FA77 and the Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZK. So my answere for price and sharpness and bokeh is a Voigtländer NOKTON 1,4/58mm SL II.
Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 03-19-2010 at 09:35 PM.
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Sorry, but more DA*55 samples. The DA*55 can have that 3D look in certain situations.

crop

03-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: I believe this is more of a fair comparison. showing the lens at it's worst it's more like fault finding. it's better to show what the lens is capable of both in good and bad as to avoid any signs of favoring one lens over the other. I understand asdf's sentiments, but I never seen him post or acknowledge a good image coming from the Sigma. and more like saying that the Sigma can't produce any good images by doing so. it's a matter of what people are willing to compensate and not dismiss the fact that they won't like the lens entirely because of one person's OOF bokeh circle preference. pros and cons must be presented rather than cons.
I think your point is spot-on! If all someone ever does is roam the forum, posting only negative information about a particular lens or two, that person then resembles more of a "troll" than a Pentaxian.

Clearly, all lenses have their pluses and minuses (some more of one than the other). To only focus on one end of the picture is silliness, suggesting the person needs a focus adjustment. Nobody tolerates ff/bf in lenses, how much less so in people should it be tolerated?