Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
A little off the subject, but why is it so far only a choice between either the Sigma or the Pentax?
I guess it boils down to if you want AF, F1.4, and 55ish mm, you have these two choices. Edit: (and the FA 50 1.4)

If you're willing to manually focus, the options open up considerably. As pointed out, there's the Voigtländer NOKTON, there's the Pentax-A lenses (1.2, and 1.4) and there are piles of other choices.

Between these two lenses, the choice is complex, and ultimately ends up being about your stylistic tastes and weather sealing. ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/945277-post23.html )

Last edited by Clinton; 03-14-2010 at 11:04 PM.
03-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

Yes, even a quick Google brings up many fine images from the Sigma. Everyone who owns it loves the bokeh.
Pull up some more then. For example, look at this one--though don't drive afterwards--the bokeh is intoxicating. ????FLENS???? ??? ????????
Yes indeed!
I need a fast, af portrait lens--soon. I like the fact that the Sigma is optimized for larger apertures and is very sharp wide open. The bokeh is beautiful, though I understand why some find reason to not like it. Right now, my money is on the Sigma 50 1.4, but I am going to wait for the new Sigma 85 f 1.4 to see if I like that even more.
This is very interesting.

In this thread, he blames a reviewer on digitalcamerareview.com for not knowing how to focus a DA* lens.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/63916-sigma-50...5mm-1-4-a.html

and then in his own comparison test, he admittedly gave up on focusing either lenses
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/88503-pentax-d...ific-test.html

and then he admittedly liked the creamy bokeh of sigma better, but just not the onions......!!!

03-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
This is veering a little off topic again, but the blades aren't rounded so light based bokeh tend to be a octagonal, esp at 1.4 and 1.8.

I guess I like my light bokeh rounded.
you meant nonagonal.
03-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
tokyoso: This is very interesting.

In this thread, he blames a reviewer on digitalcamerareview.com for not knowing how to focus a DA* lens.
Page Not Found - PentaxForums.com

and then in his own comparison test, he admittedly gave up on focusing either lenses
Page Not Found - PentaxForums.com

and then he admittedly liked the creamy bokeh of sigma better, but just not the onions......!!!
This is absolutely hilarious.

I'm not sure I'll be able to take the troubled soul seriously anymore.

03-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
This is absolutely hilarious.

I'm not sure I'll be able to take the troubled soul seriously anymore.
I was quite surprised to have read it. They are on the list of related posts right on the bottom. It's too bad, I thought he was trying to be fair and balanced.
03-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The Sigma is generally popular among Nikonians. The Nikon 50 1.8 and 50 1.4D both are considered inferior (even with bokeh,) but the newer Nikon 50 1.4G steps up and matches the Sigma in most ways, although it focuses slower.
This is interesting- I just happened to read a review on the new Nikon fast-fifty and that is what they said. A great lens, but the older screw-drive version focussed noticeably faster. So, we Pentaxians looking at the DA*55 and lamenting the choice between possibly better IQ and bokeh of the 55, vs. slight optical inferiority but faster focussing speed of the FA-50, are not alone!
03-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've got to say, if we're going strictly by popularity here, the Pentax is smokin' the Sigma in the voting thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html

03-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I've got to say, if we're going strictly by popularity here, the Pentax is smokin' the Sigma in the voting thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html
due to the wide selection of 50mm lenses. I think it would be better if they make a one on one poll. honestly, I also wanted to include other lenses if given the choice. such as the voigtlander, K55/1.8, Planar, and 43.
03-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm not surprised at all that the DA* 55 beats out the Sigma 50 in votes here. However, would you be taking worse pics just because you went with the Sigma 50 instead? I dont think so...

Having that said DA* is a fine lens as well.
03-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest problem I have with Sigma lenses (in general, I admit that I haven't tried the 50 mm f1.4). Is that it feels like the out of camera colors aren't as nice as with Pentax lenses. Every so often I think about getting another Sigma to try and then I ditch it. I think they are plenty sharp and quality seems to be getting a lot better. I guess it is just a matter of taste.
03-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
I'm not surprised at all that the DA* 55 beats out the Sigma 50 in votes here. However, would you be taking worse pics just because you went with the Sigma 50 instead? I dont think so...

Having that said DA* is a fine lens as well.
popularity does not make the lens better optically or simply saying everything about it is better. it has other factors involved why it seems popular. there are quite a selection of 50s that can make the Pentax 55/1.4 cringe in some ways. I'm simply saying that the Pentax 55/1.4 is not the ultimate 50mm lens.
03-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest problem I have with Sigma lenses (in general, I admit that I haven't tried the 50 mm f1.4). Is that it feels like the out of camera colors aren't as nice as with Pentax lenses. Every so often I think about getting another Sigma to try and then I ditch it. I think they are plenty sharp and quality seems to be getting a lot better. I guess it is just a matter of taste.
some of the lenses do display a dull color rendering. but some do have nice ones.
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #73
Pentaxian

I really want to like the DA* 55/1.4. I prefer its focal length over 50mm and applaud the improvements over the FA50/1.4 in terms of sharpness.

However, I find its bokeh way too busy. I this this series...
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
Some pics :
... the bokeh on the second one works quite well, but having said that it has a lot of character and that's fine if you want exactly that. It is way too intrusive in general, AFAIC.

In the fourth shot of the above series, I find the bokeh of the background grass to be downright ugly. I don't understand how people tolerate this but get hung up by onion patterns in some very demanding shots for the Sigma.

I think it is clear from the bokeh comparison that the Sigma has much more uniformity in the PSF, compared to the DA* 55/1.4 that shows hard rings around the bokeh highlights. The latter lead to the very busy bokeh in the DA* 55/1.4 shots.

Again, the busy "character bokeh" sometimes works well (e.g., in the 3rd cat shot) but I find it too intrusive in general.
10-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Im watching this thread because i just got a Sigma 50mm f/1.4.
Sadly, I cant do a comparison with the Pentax lenses mentioned
At this point the only thing i can tell you for sure about the Sigma is......
ITS DARN HEAVY!!!
lifting my camera is like lifting weights now.

UPDATE: the Sigma is front focusing bad on the k-30 had to adjust by 8 steps

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Im watching this thread because i just got a Sigma 50mm f/1.4.
Sadly, I cant do a comparison with the Pentax lenses mentioned
At this point the only thing i can tell you for sure about the Sigma is......
ITS DARN HEAVY!!!
lifting my camera is like lifting weights now.
Yes, it is big and heavy. I wish it were weather sealed. I tried 2 copies of the DA* 55mm before trying the Sigma. I still think about picking up a DA*55mm since I want a weather sealed lens and keeping both.

For me the Sigma bokeh is smoother and the subject is sharper. The HSM is faster to focus. I don't get the onion ring lights, or I couldn't find any images that showed them when I just looked. I typically shoot it at F/2 and I get very sharp subjects.

Some people in the thread have said they like the more "impressionist" bokeh of the DA* 55mm, to me it just looks harsh. I like the creamy melt-away bokeh of the Sigma. I am hoping Sigma updates its 50mm to the new Art series in the near future.