Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I think your point is spot-on! If all someone ever does is roam the forum, posting only negative information about a particular lens or two, that person then resembles more of a "troll" than a Pentaxian.

Clearly, all lenses have their pluses and minuses (some more of one than the other). To only focus on one end of the picture is silliness, suggesting the person needs a focus adjustment. Nobody tolerates ff/bf in lenses, how much less so in people should it be tolerated?
not just lenses but cameras as well. anyway, there is only one type of Pentax lens that I'm not entirely happy about, the SDM zooms. no matter how good they are optically, the failing AF is such a big deal. I might consider them for $200, given the fact that they will turn manual focus soon.

03-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
All that being said, the image of the bokeh on the Sigma does show exactly the problem I was concerned with based on the bokeh test images from photozone.de. Sure it's the worst possible situation for the lens, but that's exactly the issue with the Sigma.

The tone of asdf's message may have been over the top, but his message about the bokeh is spot on.

I'm still seeing a shortage of pictures from the Sigma (namely none) and I'm also not seeing anyone putting the 1.4 up for sale in the for sale forum, which might lead one to believe either no one buys them, or everyone who buys them loves them and keeps them.
03-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
All that being said, the image of the bokeh on the Sigma does show exactly the problem I was concerned with based on the bokeh test images from photozone.de. Sure it's the worst possible situation for the lens, but that's exactly the issue with the Sigma.

The tone of asdf's message may have been over the top, but his message about the bokeh is spot on.

I'm still seeing a shortage of pictures from the Sigma (namely none) and I'm also not seeing anyone putting the 1.4 up for sale in the for sale forum, which might lead one to believe either no one buys them, or everyone who buys them loves them and keeps them.
I thought people only post botched pictures or tests shots here...

quick google:

SIGMA 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM ????FLENS???? ??? ????????

Bokelicious - a set on Flickr

btw i like onions and nipples, sorry asdf
03-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
I havnt owned the Sigma lenses, but I have owned the DA*55 and the FA43 and FA77 and the Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZK. So my answere for price and sharpness and bokeh is:

Voigtländer NOKTON 1,4/58mm SL II.
It's a good price, great color rendition, and did produce some nice bokeh, however I guess I'm looking for some automatic focus this time, even if it's a tad slow. I've got the A/1.2 and it does produce marvelous bokeh at 1.2, although not quite as pretty when stopped down.

03-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first picture I pulled up from that set, http://flens.jp/photo/101200_138110 shows the exact same issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
btw i like onions and nipples, sorry asdf
If you like that bokeh look, the Sigma is the lens for you. It's just not my style.
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I've got the A/1.2 and it does produce marvelous bokeh at 1.2, although not quite as pretty when stopped down.
and why is that?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-14-2010 at 06:48 PM.
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
tokyoso: I thought people only post botched pictures or tests shots here...

QuoteQuote:
tokyoso: quick google:

SIGMA 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM ????FLENS???? ??? ????????

Bokelicious - a set on Flickr
Yes, even a quick Google brings up many fine images from the Sigma. Everyone who owns it loves the bokeh.

QuoteQuote:
cgoudie: The first picture I pulled up from that set, Drum & Bass Massive?FLENS???? ??? ???????? shows the exact same issue.
Pull up some more then. For example, look at this one--though don't drive afterwards--the bokeh is intoxicating. ????FLENS???? ??? ????????

QuoteQuote:
tokyoso: btw i like onions and nipples, sorry asdf
Yes indeed!

I need a fast, af portrait lens--soon. I like the fact that the Sigma is optimized for larger apertures and is very sharp wide open. The bokeh is beautiful, though I understand why some find reason to not like it. Right now, my money is on the Sigma 50 1.4, but I am going to wait for the new Sigma 85 f 1.4 to see if I like that even more.

03-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #53
Veteran Member

probably you can find more samples at the photo gallery section or old threads with the keyword Sigma 50. I don't think that the shortage of pictures in the forum should be used as a basis for a lens' stature. as far as I know, there are also several Pentax lenses and Non-Pentax lenses that are quite short of samples as well but are deemed great lenses even with only a few samples or none at all. you can find them in other independent photography or lens review forums and websites.

anyway, as far as Sigma 50 samples are concerned, if there are 10 ugly images out of 30 samples or simply 1/3 of total images, I believe your argument is worth considering.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-14-2010 at 06:47 PM.
03-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: anyway, as far as Sigma 50 samples are concerned, if there are 10 ugly images out of 30 samples or simply 1/3 of total images, I believe your argument is worth considering.
I agree, if you do not like something about a particular lens, you should not buy it. I also agree, one can search the web and retrieve hundreds, perhaps thousands of images on any given lens, so long as it is in production and popular.
03-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The Sigma is generally popular among Nikonians. The Nikon 50 1.8 and 50 1.4D both are considered inferior (even with bokeh,) but the newer Nikon 50 1.4G steps up and matches the Sigma in most ways, although it focuses slower.
03-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #56
Veteran Member

OT- Tamron???

A little off the subject, but why is it so far only a choice between either the Sigma or the Pentax? Tamron makes some pretty darn good zoom lenses; just curious why they don't market many primes. I bet they could come up with a pretty nice "fast 50" if they wanted to.
03-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
A little off the subject, but why is it so far only a choice between either the Sigma or the Pentax? Tamron makes some pretty darn good zoom lenses; just curious why they don't market many primes. I bet they could come up with a pretty nice "fast 50" if they wanted to.

They do have a new 60mm f/2 1:1 macro. It reportedly has some smooooth bokeh.

But yeah, it is odd that they don't really have any shorter primes.
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
NeverSatisfied A little off the subject, but why is it so far only a choice between either the Sigma or the Pentax? Tamron makes some pretty darn good zoom lenses; just curious why they don't market many primes. I bet they could come up with a pretty nice "fast 50" if they wanted to.
QuoteQuote:
jsherman999:They do have a new 60mm f/2 1:1 macro. It reportedly has some smooooth bokeh.

But yeah, it is odd that they don't really have any shorter primes.
Yes, I have wondered the same thing, many times myself. I do like using the 90mm di 2.8 for portraits sometimes, but have wanted something faster for sometime, especially for kids.

Primes seem to be Sigma territory--Tamron does not even make an effort to contest this. I find it strange, since the market for a fast portrait lens must be at least as good as it is for a 60mm macro--go figure!!!
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
and why is that?
This is veering a little off topic again, but the blades aren't rounded so light based bokeh tend to be a octagonal, esp at 1.4 and 1.8.

I guess I like my light bokeh rounded.
03-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.They do have a new 60mm f/2 1:1 macro. It reportedly has some smooooth bokeh.
Yes, the one not available for our Pentax mounts.