Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Low light lenses

Alright, so I'm at a crossroads with picking up a low light lens for shooting. I've been growing frustrated with the 18-55 lens for indoor shooting as of late and with attending the Vans Warped Tour soon I know I'm going to need something for when the lights go down. Some options I've been looking at are:

Pentax DA 40mm f2.8 Limited - seems to come very highly suggested, I often shoot indoors at around the 40-45 range using closeups and the house has a large enough living space to be able to move around some. My only concern is for the Warped Tour and not always have a definite place (might need more reach).

Pentax DA 16-45
- I've been kicking myself since I bought the K100D for not upgrading my 18-55 to this lens having an f4 would be a bit nicer.

Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4.5
- This lens has fetched pretty good reviews from what I have seen and it couples itself nicely with the 70-300 I am currently using for automotive event shooting (curse the 70-200 f2.8 being unavailable).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, the 16-45 and Sigma 17-70 are readily available in my area but the 40mm Limited is an extremely hard find.

Cheers,

Shawn

07-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the 16-45 is actually going to be slower at the wide end - so low light wouldn't be better with it. (I agree it is a better lens, though.)

As for the Vans tour - how close are you going to be? I can't imagine a lens working out better for you than the 77/1.8 Limited except maybe the FA50/1.4. Ideally you probably want an 80-200/2.8 but I'll admit to taking band photos with a 35mm lens...
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
With the warp tour in Montreal being the usual general admission (first come first serve) it will be one of those "as close as I can get even if I have to crawl or mosh my way there" scenarios The rest of the time I just like to shoot photos in a night setting or around the house with the wife which poses significant problems with the 18-55 kit lens (if I switch all my bulbs to fluorescent then it might be a different story).

-shawn
07-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe an older Takumar 135mm f/2.5 would be good for low light concert photography. It's manual focus, but it has the reach and at f/2.5, it's pretty fast. They're really cheap and really easy to find on eBay or even in our Marketplace forum here.

If you want a fast, wider lens, I would suggest the FA 35mm or the FA 50mm over the DA 40. They're a bit more expensive than the 40mm, but still cheaper than the 16-45 or the 17-70mm.