Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Thanks for reporting back. Another happy Tamron 17-50/2.8 owner.

03-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
germar: As the original poster for this thread, I want to report back that I bought a Tamron 17-50 2.8 used off this forum and have run it through some test shots. I am very impressed. While it doesn't have the exact color rendering as the Pentax glass (what does?) the images are very nice, very sharp in low light and most importantly, the lens never hunted autofocus under low light conditions. This lens is actually GREAT in lower light situations, which is what I need this lens to do most often.

You can do what you wish with the colors in PPing, easily. My experience in low light is like yours--the Tamron is excellent. I am so used to reading, all over the forum, disenchanted posts on slow Pentax AF in lowlight. For a while, I thought my expectations must be low in comparison, since my K20d is great in low light with the 17-50mm. Then, after a few months went by, I realized it is the Tamron which excels in lowlight. I can't say enough good things about this lens. I didn't like the lens hood which came with it, but I've since replaced it with an after market one anyway--now, nothing for me to complain about.
03-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
germar: As the original poster for this thread, I want to report back that I bought a Tamron 17-50 2.8 used off this forum and have run it through some test shots. I am very impressed. While it doesn't have the exact color rendering as the Pentax glass (what does?) the images are very nice, very sharp in low light and most importantly, the lens never hunted autofocus under low light conditions. This lens is actually GREAT in lower light situations, which is what I need this lens to do most often.

You can do what you wish with the colors in PPing, easily. My experience in low light is like yours--the Tamron is excellent. I am so used to reading, all over the forum, disenchanted posts on slow Pentax AF in lowlight. For a while, I thought my expectations must be low in comparison, since my K20d is great in low light with the 17-50mm. Then, after a few months went by, I realized it is the Tamron which excels in lowlight. I can't say enough good things about this lens. I didn't like the lens hood which came with it, but I've since replaced it with an after market one anyway--now, nothing for me to complain about.
do you have both the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 f2.8? if not, which one would you get first?
03-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
tokyoso:do you have both the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 f2.8? if not, which one would you get first?
I own the 17-50mm--I do not own the 28-75mm. F 2.8 is offered throughout both of their ranges. They perform strikingly similar with respect to contrast, color, & sharpness. In a nutshell, the difference is: 17-27mm for one & 51-75mm for the other. If the former focal range is more important to you, get the 17-50mm. If the latter focal range is more important to you, get the 28-75mm.

The other noteworthy point is the 28-75mm was designed for full-frame. However, on FF, it then becomes a very wide to normal lens, much like the 17-50 is on the crop sensor.