Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 tilt shift

I got bored while studying for midterms, so I figured a little lens-building procrastination was in order. Here's what I ended up with:

This is version three, made from an old OM 50mm f/1.8. The tilt-shift mechanism uses rubber bands to facilitate movement in basically any direction. Focusing is done by pushing the lens closer or further from the "film" plane. This one has two focusing ranges, one for macro:

and one for infinity:

Currently the main problem is vignetting while using more extreme movements, and focusing requires live view, which is kind of cumbersome :

However, I'm liking the results

03-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Well done!

Do you have a flexible light seal between the lens and mount?
03-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice results. The old Zuiko lenses are really excellent glass and your DIY-project is great.

Ben
03-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So it's your Lensbaby! Of course, the basic problem with 135-format lenses on tilt-and-shift mounts is vignetting -- it's too easy to cut off the image circle. You might look for some MF folder to cannibalize. One of my Real Soon Now projects involves cutting apart a Mamiya TLR lens pair and putting the 80/2.8 prime on a T&S mount. Of course, that's a rather long focal length for an APS-C sensor. If I could find some MF or LF lens in the 30-50mm range, I'd just be in hog heaven.

03-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job! Although like said, 135 lens on APS-C is cutting it too close regarding the image circle. I believe the way of the future with those lenses is m4/3:

Teaser on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

for FF and APS-C, MF lenses are best. In that regard, I think the lens to look out for is the Mamiya Sekor 35mm f3.5. Fairly cheap, and one of the shortest FL you can get on MF. There's even a tilt/shift adapter for those made by Mirex in Germany, but they're really expensive.
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Amazing! Pure genius, Kevin!

I wish I was as productive when I was bored!
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI, there is a Tilt Shift Club that was recently started. Some of these and future images would look good there!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/91033-tilt-shift-lens-club.html

That club is also indexed in the sticky for Lens Club Indexes at the top of this forum in the 3rd category (list in 3rd post).

bigthumbsup
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice job! Its amazing what can be done with cardboard and elastic bands and this is a superb example. Please put some details and photos in the Tilt Shift club, I started it because several people had been posting questions about building things like this and I though it would be handy if information could be collected centrally.
Although there is a general opinion that you can't make a usefull tilt shift lens from a 35mm SLR lens, your example shows quite conclusively that you can. Although the available tilt and shift movements before vignetting becomes apparent is limited, you really don't need much tilt to get the effects you have shown. Does the lens have any aperture control or is it too deeply buried in the cardbord tube?
When I was an undergraduate I tended to get sidetracked whenever I was supposed to be revising and ended up building some weird and wonderfull things as procrastination exercises.
I recently stripped a badly damaged (focus mechanism badly dented and completely jamed) Helios 28mm f/2.8 with the intention of starting on another tilt shift lens, this is really good motivation to get back to it.
Keep up the good work

03-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm now back to work on the tilt shift, this time on version 4:

This version uses a poor man's (read: ailing college student's) helicoid to adjust focus from infinity to about 1.5ft. This time I'm using wing nuts to make adjustments easier.

The same lens is used, stripped down to just the lens elements and the helical (which cannot be removed). The aperture lever has been rubber banded in place so that it can be stopped down.

It will also get a nice stretchy lycra light baffle between the lens and the mount.

Thus far version 3 has been yielding pretty good results, when light leaks and flare can be avoided

I've also a Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 medium format TLR lens on the way for better coverage. That should prove interesting.

Last edited by kkado; 03-09-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
03-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #10

This is great engineering, very resourceful. I like the result too and certainly better than a lensbaby. From your images it seems like vignetting wasn't a problem really. How much shift can you get? It looks more like a tilt-only lens to me.

Mamiya has a 55mm C-series (TLR) lens too, it's more expensive than the 80mm though.
03-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SquintyEyes Quote
This is great engineering, very resourceful. I like the result too and certainly better than a lensbaby. From your images it seems like vignetting wasn't a problem really. How much shift can you get? It looks more like a tilt-only lens to me.

Mamiya has a 55mm C-series (TLR) lens too, it's more expensive than the 80mm though.
It has about 9mm of shift. Honestly it's not too useful for correcting geometric distortion, but it helps avoid vignetting by shifting the image circle over a bit.

I've finished version four, but it's pretty ugly so I won't post pictures of it

How about a delicious illustration of the tilt effect?

Both photos use identical shutter and aperture values. You can tilt the focus plane to make the depth of field incredibly small. . .

Or get a ton of depth of field, even at 1.8:

03-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great stuff! Besides outer appearances, how is v.4, especially regarding handling and precision?

It would be great if something like this could be fabricated with slightly more durable material. I've been daydreaming about 135 format lenses on APS-C sensor for use in tilt/shifting for about a year now.
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Clever you! Great job!