Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Who is the manufacture of thats lens?

I found this Japanese 42mm f1.4/50 mm lens .
The optical is absolutely bright and clear , even not a single grain of dust on it.
but the front metal which contains all the lens ID is missing.
Pleas look at the additional tiny pin,at the rear side
which does'nt exist on TAKUMAR lenses.
my question is : Who produced this lens?
Thanks
Alon

Attached Images

03-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks like an old Takumar lens...similar to the one I bought back in the '80's. They were made by Pentax, same glass, just didn't have the coating was my understanding.

I had two, a 28 mm F3.5 wide angle and a 50 mm f 4 Macro. I found them to be fine, the pix were as good as my Pentax labeled lenses.

As far as the pin extra goes...hmmnnn...I dunno. But the F stop ring and the focus ring looks just like my old Taks...from memory.
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The lens is a M42 SMC Takumar 1.4/50, witness 37908 on auto/man diaphram switch.
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears to be an SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, the last screwmount model before the K-mount was introduced. The small pin is part of the system to provide open-aperture metering on the Spotmatic F, ES and ESII cameras. If the lens is not mounted or mounted on one of those cameras, once you switch the AUTO/MAN aperture control switch to AUTO, it locks there. The pin gets pushed in by a screw-on lens cap or adapter, so today it only confuses people.

The ring that usually identifies the lens could have been replaced to fool someone, to comply with customs laws or just for fashion.
  • Parts could have been swapped to increase the value of a Super-Takumar, always a small risk which caught me once. The serial number is on that ring too.
  • At one time, distributors like Honeywell in the US had exclusive importation rights and made it illegal to import a Takumar on your own. To get around the law, the Takumar name had to be painted or scratched out. Occasionally you see used lenses like that.
  • It was also fashionable at one time to obscure all labels on camera gear. The name ring might have been replaced by a blank one at that time.

03-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
The lens is a M42 SMC Takumar 1.4/50, witness 37908 on auto/man diaphram switch.
Good answer. Although the "name" ring is right up front and unscrews quickly, it takes a while to get to the auto/man switch to swap that. On my parts swap lens, they did not go that far.
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
That's spot on.
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR QUICK AND MOST INTERESTING INFORMATION.
FROM THE FIRST SIGHT , I HAD A SENSE THAT MY NEW BARGAIN IS A VERY HIGH QUALITY LENS.
I ALSO WAS SURE IT IS NOT " THIRD PART" LENS COMPANY...

NOW I KNOW WHY...

ALON