Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Please, help me for a gift :)

Dears at pentax forums,

my girlfriend is approaching to buy a pentax kx!

As a surprise, I would like to give to her a lens as a gift!
She likes to take all kind of picture with a slight preference to landscapes.

So, please can you suggest a very good zoom lens? And, what do you think about a prime? It would be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!!

Marco

03-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by malmstrom Quote
Dears at pentax forums,

my girlfriend is approaching to buy a pentax kx!

As a surprise, I would like to give to her a lens as a gift!
She likes to take all kind of picture with a slight preference to landscapes.

So, please can you suggest a very good zoom lens? And, what do you think about a prime? It would be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!!

Marco
Do you have a budget in-mind? Perhaps a Sigma 10-20?
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A wide range of focal lengths have been used for landscape from wides to teles. A safe bet would be to get her a tele zoom, or just buy her the K-x kit.
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

If she's buying a Kx, she is likely buying a Kx kit which will include a 18-55, and maybe even a 50-200mm zoom lens.

If she's new to photography, I'd probably recommend her getting her feet wet with that kit setup, first to see if she picks up on it. If you know she is already into photography, you can look at a DA 40 Ltd for around $350 new. Great little lens with excellent performance over the kit lenses. If budget allows, there's also the 14mm, DA 15mm primes, or even a DA 21mm for another 100-150 more.

You can also look into getting her a nice external flash unit like the Pentax 360 or Metz 48AF-1 for Pentax. The Metz goes for about $225 - not sure about the Pentax 360. I think a lot of people forget about the advantages of having a good hotshoe flash.

03-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the 16-45 would definitely make her happy.
03-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

DA 40LTD. Due to size and IQ.

A KX + DA40 will be a joy to carry around.

mike
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

DA40, smallest and cheapest Limited.

or DA35
or DA15
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

My price limit is up to 600 euros. I was thinking about the fa 31, but it's a bit more pricy... btw for non macro pictures is generally better the DA 35 or 40 or something else?

Thanks again,

Marco

03-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #9

Thanks guys,

My price limit is up to 600 euros. I was thinking about the fa 31, but it's a bit more pricy... btw for non macro pictures is generally better the DA 35 or 40 or something else?

Thanks again,

Marco
Let me know if you need another girlfriend.
03-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys,

Thanks again,

Marco
I was waiting to see a price expectation before sounding in. For the price differences, the DA35 is the way to go over the FA31. I bought both of mine dirt cheap but if I were to have (want) to buy them now, I couldn't see myself spending $1000 US on the FA31. The DA35 is easily my most versatile lens. It's good at long distance (pretty good anyway), great for a walk around general purpose lens, and for when you want to go Macro mode, it will do it. Have to get close but it works. Some say the lens is slow on the AF. I've never found that to be the case. Not objectionably anyway. I've also never tried a Kx so I cannot comment on that combo. For the price of the FA31, you can just about find (used) the DA35 AND the DA15 (a few night time long exposures with the DA15). Might take awhile in the hunt but is well worth the effort.

What I would Really do however, is let her just use the kit. See what she gravitates towards in interest and then pick a lens or two to complement that interest. If you insist on getting her a Prime lens Now, I don't think you can go wrong with the DA35 as a general all purpose lens. A little narrow for landscapes but a fine lens still. If she truly gravitates toward Landscape and street photography, the DA15 would probably better suit her. If she's all over the place, then a flavor of the 17-70.. That's about the maximum range I'd go in a zoom though. Not a fan of ultra-zoom lenses. Good luck..

03-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't know what she's going to buy so I guess there is always a risk that you buy what she already bought or something that she does not want/need. If she has previous experience with (d)SLRs, she will have a pretty good idea and she can tell you that. Else I agree with the others that stated that she should get her feet wet first and let her find out what she wants/needs.

Maybe you can join her when she buys in a brick-and-mortar store and add something to the package. That might be a lens, a flash, a charger and batteries, a bag, tripod, stuff for maintenance or whatever one can think off. Software for post processing and organizing the photos might also be an idea.

I know, it's nice to surprise her but a lens that she will never use will not make her or you happy at the end of the day.

Good luck, WimS