Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not sure what you were thinking the price of the 16-50 was before, but it's in the $700-$800 range right now (when yo can find it). That's not particularly higher than it's ever been (see the lens reviews on this site), and is barely *half* the cost of Nikon's equivalent. I'd assume that if Pentax were to put out a 24-70, they'd be pricing it quite a bit cheaper than Nikon as well - probably right around the 1K mark. But I'd still wonder how well it would do given the much cheaper Sigma and Tamron competition.
We do have to remember though that the Nikon 24-70 is a full-frame lens, and as far as I know noone has ever made a 24-70 for APS-C only, with the associated lower production costs.

The Nikon is also exceptionally well-built, but it's a real little tank of a lens. If Pentax ever did make a 24-70 it'd be interesting to see whether it was APS-C only, and what that would mean for the lens size.

Personally, I think the 16-50mm (24-75 equivalent) is a really great APS-C zoom range.

03-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Oh! how I wish if this happens to the FA31........and I don't think most prices are lower than ever before...
I agree "most" aren't actually lower, and FA31 is an example of one that's still quite a bit higher (FA50 being another obvious example). And outside the US, prices across the board are still quite a bit higher than they used to be. But with respect to the 16-50 at least, B&H and Adorama at least still list it for ~$750 when they have it in stock - which they don't right now. And whenever B&H or Adorama is out of stock on an item, the scam dealers on Ebay and Amazon do often jack up their prices, trying to trick people into paying list price rather than wait for the legit dealers to make it available again.
03-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it makes sense at all. There's no way Pentax could put out such a lens for as little as Sigma or Tamron. Few people would buy it over the cheaper alternatives, and Pentax would have lost a ton of money on the R&D.
None of the Pentax lenses are as cheap as 3rd party are they (comparing like with like), Pentax even sell the equivalent Tokina for more. They still sell.

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF SHQ TC works with SDM. My K-7, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM II and Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF SHQ Teleconverter combo works without any problems.
So no robs with that combo? Even in low light? I have the Tamron 1.4x that supposedly works too, but I have read some have problems, and being for Pentax, I can't test it in a store as there's none around!
03-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
None of the Pentax lenses are as cheap as 3rd party are they (comparing like with like)
Well, there's very few direct comparisons you can make, which is part of my point.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax even sell the equivalent Tokina for more.
Not sure if you're making the erroneous assumption that Pentax is simply rebranding the Tokina lenses but the truth is closer to the reverse of this: Tokina rebrands Pentax lenses. But the fact that they can do so cheaer is indicative of the basic problem: third parties can sell cheap because they can sell to a much larger Canon & Nikon market. That allows them to keep production costs lower and also get away with a lower profit margin. So it's going to be an uphill battle for Pentax to produce a lens in direct competition with a third party for less. If they're to succeed duplicating a third party lens, it's going to have to be a *lot* better in some way to make up for the larger price tag it will almost certainly carry.

03-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if you're making the erroneous assumption that Pentax is simply rebranding the Tokina lenses but the truth is closer to the reverse of this: Tokina rebrands Pentax lenses.
I guess that depends on your definition of "rebranding". If "rebranding" means using the same lens formula with different coating and different construction using different materials and a different type of micro-motor, then I guess they do in fact "rebrand". Personally, I think the relevant products are different constructions with mostly-similar optical qualities. This fact would explain part of the cost difference. For example, the Tokina lenses are not weather-sealed. They do not have quick-shift focusing, they have a push-pull manual focusing clutch. The lens hood isn't quite as useful. The list could go on. While the Tokina lenses have nearly identical optical qualities, their build quality is not on par with the DA* line.
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I guess that depends on your definition of "rebranding". If "rebranding" means using the same lens formula with different coating and different construction using different materials and a different type of micro-motor, then I guess they do in fact "rebrand".
The term "rebranding" implies there is an *original* brand. When two lenses share the same design, one is the original, one is the re-brand. And in the cases at hand, it is the Pentax lenses that are the originals, and the Tokina lens the rebrands. That was my point - not to deny the lenses share to design, but to clarify which is the original and which is the rebrand.

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I think the relevant products are different constructions with mostly-similar optical qualities. This fact would explain part of the cost difference.
Good point.
03-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I think the relevant products are different constructions with mostly-similar optical qualities. This fact would explain part of the cost difference. For example, the Tokina lenses are not weather-sealed. They do not have quick-shift focusing, they have a push-pull manual focusing clutch. The lens hood isn't quite as useful. The list could go on. While the Tokina lenses have nearly identical optical qualities, their build quality is not on par with the DA* line.
Which is why a Pentax 70-200 would sell, in addition to the others. I'd buy a better one,Pentax, especially if it's weather-sealed.
03-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #38
emr

I realize there was a hike back in early 2009, but for the most part, a lot of prices have come back down and are now lower than ever.
Is that really true in the US? Because it bloody well isn't in Europe. The local prices over here have risen several times during the last 18 months and not once have I seen them get lower.

Some $-converted prices from one of the best and cheapest (Finnish) retailers today and with today's currency conversion:

FA 31 ltd about $1600
DA 15mm ltd about $987
DA* 16-50mm about $1387
DA* 50-135mm about $1486
DA 12-24mm about $1608

and so on...

03-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Is that really true in the US?

DA* 16-50mm about $1387
DA* 50-135mm about $1486
It's true as far as DA* lenses, anyways, which is what this thread is about. It's also true for some of the other lenses, but typically not for Limited lenses.