Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Ultimate travel setup for a couple who both like to take pictures (Amateur)?
One SLR with 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses   00%
One SLR body with an 18-250 lens 15.00%
TWO SLR bodies one with an 18-55 and another with the 55-300 1155.00%
One SLR with a point & shoot backup 840.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #1

Crazy Poll-2nd K-x body or travel lens?

Okay, here's the deal: My boyfriend and I are both camera hogs (okay, I'm the camera hog and he goes along with it and tries to smile) and we're about to go on vacation in Europe. We've found out through various museum, street photos, indoor photos, etc. with our new K-x that we're constantly wanting to switch lenses (we have both the 18-55 and the 55-300).

We were initially thinking of a small handheld point & shoot as a 2nd camera option, but frankly with the quality of the K-x photos we just don't think we can go back to our old point & shoot days.

So, our option is to buy another lens for the camera (the Tamron 18-250 at roughly $530 insured and compromise a bit more on quality) or pick up ANOTHER K-x body (can't afford the K-7 or anything more expensive) for $600 (insured), mount the other lens on it and then we'd both be able to take pictures. Not that big of a price difference and we're both in photo heaven.

BACKGROUND
Our relationship is going on nearly 9 years (solid) and we are almost always with each other when we want to take pictures, so spreading two lenses across two different bodies isn't necessarily isn't necessarily *that* inconvenient.

What's your take on it? Buy the K-x body, stay with what we've got and switch the lenses and quit whining, or get the all-in-one lens and just live with a slightly diminished photo quality?

Any comments from people who carry two camera bodies with them would be much appreciated.

03-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #2

Original Poster
Ooops, forgot something

I should have mentioned that I'm not considering fixed fast lenses since my main aim is to not change lenses that often, and we're both the type of photographers that zoom in and out from picture to picture...I'm just not at that stage in my photography yet that I can make myself happy with a fixed lens.

I should also mention that we take everything from landscape to macro, and on a recent trip to Alaska we found we really enjoyed taking two cameras (a point and shoot and an SLR-type digital).

I'm really leaning towards the two-SLR scenario, but it just seems so...decadent. I'm not too concerned about the inconvenience of trading cameras to get a different lens. It would be ideal if we could get a more professional camera as the second body, but unfortunately that's out of our price range.

Thanks again for your comments.

Aspiring Amateur

Last edited by aspiring amateur; 03-02-2010 at 03:10 AM.
03-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL

if you don't plan to go separate ways any time sooon, I would just use your iphones for quick P&S while your bff swap lenses. Save that money for a new camera body come christmas time, unless you really want to spend that $600 pronto. Relationships are all about sharing....

forget about the tamron 18-250... swapping lenses is fairly painless.
03-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When I travel I want to travel light so I always just bring the bare minimum.
So go for just one dslr and one point and shoot!!
And the point and shoot is great when u ask others to take photos of the both of you - not all people know how to use dslrs

03-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #5

When my GF and I go away I usually lump her with a normal (35mm Macro or 40mm Limited) and I hit up the 21mm or 77mm.

That way we never miss a thing between us and you get different perspectives of everything.

DA 40 + *istD is uber tiny, much like a KX + DA40 I assume.

I prefer primes as it makes me think about composure a bit more than a zoom. When I have a zoom my shots are a bit boring I think.
03-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #6

I vote for two K-x

Two people, two cameras, 4x more times to take picture! (Please don't criticize my math )
Plus, I like to take candid picture of people taking picture!
03-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I say get another K-x but, rather than a zoom, outfit it with a good used fast prime in the 24-50mm range. It'll serve you well for indoor shots and street shooting. I took the 18-250mm and 43mm Ltd on our trip to England: it was a great combination.

03-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for 2 bodies bcause with the exception of my first 18 months of photography, in 1981 when I only had a ricoh XR2s (Pentax compatible) I always have had 2 bodies.

In fact, I have never let go of either a camera or lens which i have bought, each succussive body just becomes the main body and others get delegated to back up role.

What I might suggest, however, is getting a different body, not 2 the same. Perhaps a K20?

I would personally stay away from the 18-250mm lens, not because it is a bad lens, but I think there are too many compromises in an ultra zoom.

the two lenses you mention will suit you well and as you expand your photography activities, the 2 bodies will be much more useful than a 18-250 lens.
03-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Dump the boyfriend and take up with me.
As you can see from my sig line I am well endowed (with photo gear)

Seriously, get the second body, you won't always be in the mood for constantly swapping cameras, and it will free up your creative side. Much less frustrating.

Have a great trip across the pond.
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your comments...all good suggestions.

Oh, and uh, thanks Telfish. For a second there I thought I was on Craigs List, but I should've known this was a classier place. Congrats on your gear.

Still trying to work it out, not sure what my final decision will be at this point. Cost wise it's a wash unless I just go the "shut up and change lenses and share a camera route."

Hmmm....
03-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DAL 18-55 is practically free when you buy a K-x, so I'd say buy a second K-x with 18-55 kit lens, and share the 55-300mm.
03-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Forum Member

get yourself a good camera bag and DIY yourself some quicker lens changing system(velcro and duct tape are always a good starting point^^)
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think I would go for the 2nd body, and probably get a K20D

BTW, I love the way you phrased this:

QuoteOriginally posted by aspiring amateur Quote
.....not sure what my final decision (my bold) will be at this point
But then again, you guys have been together 9 years, so your BF knows the drill.
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You both like to take pictures, so take two bodies. But add a low light lens, such as a fast 50. You should be all set.
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't know about Europe, but here in the U.S. you have to consider that if something should happen to your one camera body, you'd need a plan to get another one, fast. You don't find Pentax hanging out at every big box store like with Nikon and Canon, and probably you can't even find a Pentax in stock in most states in the U.S. Obviously if all your stuff got stolen that would still be an issue, but I was thinking more of an electronic failure.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, you might consider an inexpensive body, like a used or refurb K100. I don't have a KX so I can't compare, but I wouldn't feel terrible if my K200 died on a trip and left me with just my K100 body. I would feel terrible if my only camera body died. Also I carry the 18-55, which I bought used, even though I already had the 16-45 and 50-200. On one trip I dropped my 28-55mm Canon in a creek, but had the 24mm and 50mm to partly take its place.

Paul