Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Large format twin reflex lens, can you split?

I want a 645 or a 6x7 large format lens to mess around with trying a tilt shift on my KX. I an get a Mamiya 67 twin lens reflex lens dirt cheap.

Question is how easy is it to split the two lenses and do I get a toofer? Two useable lenses?

03-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I want a 645 or a 6x7 large format lens to mess around with trying a tilt shift on my KX. I an get a Mamiya 67 twin lens reflex lens dirt cheap.

Question is how easy is it to split the two lenses and do I get a toofer? Two useable lenses?
The Mamiya 67 is not a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR). It is a Medium format interchangable lens SLR. On a TLR (6x6), the two lenses are not the same. One is for taking the photo and the other is for focusing and composition. The higher quality lens is the one on the bottom, with the shutter. On both the Mamaya TLR and 67 cameras, focus is achieved by moving the entire lens on a bed. On the Mamiya 645 cameras, the lenses focus as a regular SLR lens would.

If you want to play with a medium format lens, you would be miles ahead getting an aftermarket adapter and going the Pentax MF route. You Can also get an adapter for Mamiya, Hasselblad, and other MF lenses (IIRC), aftermarket of course, As to operation, I'll let someone else comment.

03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Like JeffJS mentioned, what you have is a lens for Mamiya's TLR system, the C-series. As an owner of the C330f and quite a collection of lenses, I think your idea should work. As a matter of fact, I think any medium format system would have sufficient flange distance and image circle for constructing a P/K or M42 tilt-shift lens. As a matter of fact, I was about half way into my DIY tilt shift lens using a 90mm viewing lens of a Koni-Omegaflex with a bellow when I scored a couple PentaconSix lenses and then bought the tilt-adaptor off ebay. I think the sturdy mechanical mount definitely make it a lot more useful in many situations.

For those interested in making a homemade tilt-shift lens, feel free to contact me via PM about the components I mentioned above. I can sell it to you at cost since I no longer plan on completing it.
03-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem I have with this concept is that you get a very long focal length with the 1.5x focal length multiplier and most "real" shift lenses are wide ones. The shift is less useful/necessary at the longer focal lengths.

The widest (and most expensive) Mamiya TLR lens would be the 55mm (or approx 82mm effective on a Pentax DSLR.). The more common 65mm would be an effective 97mm.

03-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a Mamiya-Sekor TLR 80/2.8 lens pair, US$10 on eBay. (It's packed away right now so I can only refer to my database about it.) It comprises the taking lens, with adjustable f-stop, and the smaller viewing lens, fixed wide open. I plan to cut it apart and make two cheap Lensbaby-type rigs -- cheap flexible rubber plumbing couplers taped to PK mounts. The taking lens image circle will fill a 35/FF frame, and the viewing lens should be adequate for APS-C. Everything is already paid for, so I should have some good cheap fun. And if I sell my second house [google TOLAND ADOBE BISBEE ARIZONA] soon, I just might buy a MF lens and T&S adapter set. But I'll try the cheap way first.
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

These were discussed a few times, not sure if you read them?

Arax Photo | Specials | MC ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens.

Lensbaby SLR Lenses
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

I find from my DIY attempt that it's not that difficult to get a hack-prototype working. The tricky part is to have it stable and adjustable in a fine control manner. Think of the difference between the early lensbaby and the new ones (control freak and composer).

The problem of long focal length of MF lens on a crop sensor is definitely a headache. I have a Arsat 30mm fisheye on Pentacon 6 mount to get around this problem. There are some distortion at the edges of the frame, but not too bad for a cropped digital sensor.