Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

How about this lens, Pentax smcP DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Lens

I am interested in this one also. Does anyone own this lens?
I also wonder how sharp are the pictures and is it good enough for portraits?

03-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are lots and lots of existing threads discussing this lens, comparing it to others, etc. See for example the DA Limited Club Thread, with sample images from it and the other lenses in that series. Yes, lots of people have it, and most love it a lot. It's very sharp, but quite short for portraits.
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There are lots and lots of existing threads discussing this lens, comparing it to others, etc. See for example the DA Limited Club Thread, with sample images from it and the other lenses in that series. Yes, lots of people have it, and most love it a lot. It's very sharp, but quite short for portraits.
Thank you..Hard trying to figure what lens to get...I know what i want in a picture, I just need help getting the right lens
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's the most affordable and smallest limited DA lens.

03-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Softsoap Quote
I also wonder how sharp are the pictures and is it good enough for portraits?
In general, it is the sharpest lens I have (among them FA-50mm, F-28mm, DA 21mm, DA 70mm, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 50mm macro).

For portraits, it is OK for full length, but a bit too short for head and shoulder. My portrait lenses are FA-50mm and DA 70mm, sometimes Tamron 90mm if I feel I need a bit more distance.
03-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #6

I had your problem when i was looking for a `normal everyday lens` and decided on this lens over the DA 35mm mainly for the cost (almost half as much) and i love it =D The size and focusing speed of it make it an amazing street lens. I know people say it the focal length is a bit awkward but ive never had a problem with it. The size of it on your Kx would make it easily bag-able too which you should consider.
Here's a random street shot i quite like
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The DA 40 is a great lens--very sharp, and great colors. I have 2 of the pancakes, the DA 40 and the DA 70.

If I want an ultra small and light lens for walking around, I grab the DA 40. It is not the ideal walkaround lens, since it is a bit long (focal length), but 40mm is still a workable range, and the lens is so small and light it hardly feels like you are carrying anything.

If I want an ultra small and light lens for portraits, or frankly going to a playground or a pool with my kids or something like that, and want to be able to get a little distance from my subjects (again, usually my family), I grab the DA 70. The DA 70 may be my favorite lens--it is so darn good, so sharp and with beautiful colors. And the focal length really is so useful when you want to be able to get some nice candids, and not be in people's faces.