Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

TAKUMAR 55MM F2

Hi guys,

It is my first thread here. I decided to join you because I am going to buy Pentax k-x although now I still use Sony a100. This is the reason why recebntly I've bought Super Takumar 55mm f2 and adapter so that I could use the lens with my a100 before I get k-x. However, I have a problem and hope you will be able to solve. The problem is that almost all the pictures taken with this Takumar are blurred, although in the viewfinder it looks sharp. I have tried many things and looked for the solution on the internet but couldn't find anything...

03-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the lens section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

SLRs are supposed to avoid that kind of problem by their basic design. Your eye and the sensor are both looking through the same lens. So the problem is confusing. I have three suggestions. They may not help but at least they should be eliminated before moving on.

1. The lens could have a loose element or group. I had a lens like this (after I dropped it). If I tilted the camera, the element would shift and blur the images. You should be able to inspect the lens for this issue. Nothing should rattle or move.

2. Your camera has a problem. I don't know much about the a100, but if it has a viewfinder diopter adjustment, it could be off. You might not notice it with slower lenses, and autofocus might make photos come out fine anyway. Viewfinder diopters should be adjusted so that the numbers in the display are perfectly sharp.

3. Your expectations are incorrect. When the lens is used at wide apertures, you should have some blurry areas in front of and behind the in-focus subject. Pardon me if I just insulted your intelligence there. Most newer camera viewfinders are designed for f2.8 or slower lenses, and may not show the correct depth of field at f2.

I can't think of any other ways that the viewfinder would not match the sensor image.
03-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It sounds like a shutter speed/aperture combination problem to me depending on the shooting conditions.

03-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys for your answers.
Just after I asked the question I tried the lens again and changed the switch on the lens from a to m and now it is usually sharp. First I have to switch to a (whixh I suppose means "automatic") because the view in the viewfinder is brighter and then I moove to m (manual) and it works (although not always) but sometimes the picture is so sharp that I was astonished taking into concideration that the lens is so old and so cheap.
However, I don't know why it is still difficult to focus with this lens and this is the reason why many photos are blurred.
03-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Samgron, You definitely need to use these lenses in the M mode. There is a green button on top of your camera on the right side. It will be your friend. Use your camera in either the Av or M mode. The Av allows you to set the aperture and you press the green button for metering. M lets you set both the shutter speed and aperture. Also be sure to check center-weighted or spot metering on your camera. Matrix metering won't work with lenses with no electrical contacts whether they are m42, k or M.

As far as focusing goes some people opt for an aftermarket focusing screen that is more conducive to manual focusing than the stock one.

Here is the king of Takumar threads the Takumar Club: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html

Here are some more tips:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/644398-post2195.html