Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I mentioned weight because, lacking these fancy modern high-falutin' optics, I'm most familiar with the Russian Jupitar 85's. With those, going from f/2 to f/1.5 involves about 1/2 pound, IIRC. That's a big chunk of gorgeous optics that gets its own tripod mount.
Never had a Jupiter 85, almost pulled the trigger several times though. DID have a Helios 40 85f1.5 (m39 version) however, and that thing weighed a proverbial ton. So much to the extent I hated using it, eventually grew to hate having it, but loved selling it. Just from the feeling of on camera balance alone, the Vivitar (et al) weighs about 1/4 of what that lens did. Whiteness however the plastic body vs the metal body. Probably has a little to do with it,

03-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #17

Personally, I'm keenly awaiting the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. But price might somewhat reduce my keenness. I can't afford an arm and a leg either. I'd be happy with an 85mm f/2 (with fast and silent AF).
03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 85mm Vivitar F1.4, and have posted the photo below before

I would also advise getting a split image. I use one on my K10D.

shots below at F2.5

I will admit the purists really dump on this lens, claiming the images don't pop. etc. but all those who have it love it

and a 100 % crop

03-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the 85mm Vivitar F1.4, and have posted the photo below before

I would also advise getting a split image. I use one on my K10D.

shots below at F2.5

The look of comfort only a dog can achieve, or in this case a pair of them

QuoteQuote:
I will admit the purists really dump on this lens, claiming the images don't pop. etc. but all those who have it love it

That's the difference between people who spend their time discussing lenses they don't own, and those who actually go out and use them. I think it has plenty of pop..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/4113764336_5d0d019074_o.jpg

03-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was badly afflicted by LBA for the 85mm and ended up with a J9, M85/2 and FA*85/1.4
I still like the M85/2 the most. A brilliant lens, small, light, not too expensive and great performance.
Its around the price of a brand new Samyang.

2 recent shots from this lens at wide open.
The main weakness is CA imo.

03-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #21

I just got one and really like it a lot.
Attached Images

03-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to admit I also suffer from LBA and have a super takumar 85mm F1.9 also, but have not had the time yet to play with it as much as I would like.

03-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

That's the difference between people who spend their time discussing lenses they don't own, and those who actually go out and use them. I think it has plenty of pop..
I don;t disagree, but I felt I should caution anyone that while I like the vivitar and find it fun to use, especially as a casual walk around to isolate people, the lens seems to have a love it or hate it response.

For me, I bought it because I gave up waiting for the chance to get anSMC 85 F1.8.

about 10 months after I bought it I tripped over a Super Tak 85mm F1.9 at a very good price so I got that also, as the start of a decision to build an M42 kit to compliment my K mount kit
03-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don;t disagree, but I felt I should caution anyone that while I like the vivitar and find it fun to use, especially as a casual walk around to isolate people, the lens seems to have a love it or hate it response.
I was speaking more in general than in terms of the Vivitar (and others) 85mm. I see a lot of lens snobbery from people who spend more time taking pictures of charts and newspaper pages, if they even own the lens, than going out and taking pictures. Of course, that snobbery exists everywhere.

Perhaps it's snobbery on my part but I'm a put up or shut up type of person. That is, if you, for instance, had said "Had the lens, didn't like it because....", I can respect that. May not agree, but at least you've given something of personal experience to back your statement.

QuoteQuote:

For me, I bought it because I gave up waiting for the chance to get anSMC 85 F1.8.

about 10 months after I bought it I tripped over a Super Tak 85mm F1.9 at a very good price so I got that also, as the start of a decision to build an M42 kit to compliment my K mount kit
I really couldn't say why I bought mine other than it's an f1.4. I certainly didn't need it, don't use it very much, and already had the FL very well covered or at least close enough. I Can say that I chose the Vivitar badged one over the others because at the time the Vivitar is the only one I could verify was an A type lens. I can quite happily live without autofocus, I've grown to like auto exposure. Did I pay too much for the Vivitar brand name? Who knows, who cares. That little red pinstripe sure is pretty .

I have a couple very nice Super Tak lenses and unless I found a Super Tak 85 dirt dirt cheap, I'm letting the next guy get them. I just can't get use to using the screw mount. I keep the ones I have because I have a Spotmatic F that one of these days. I'm going to go out and take some slides.