Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

tips on changing lenses

So finally I got me some of them Limiteds, and now find myself changing lenses more often. With the previous Tamron zoom almost never did this. When I did, I took some sweet time putting the camera on a clean desk and making sure everything has a place.

Now when I do it in the field, I try to follow a sequence. The room must be there for the lens going off to land safely with the back end up, and a spare back cap must be ready. That way it won't wait until the back cap is going off the new lens. Fumbling for the red dot may take a moment, I prefer not to let go and rotate the hand, leading to some awkward angles.

Then the new lens is going on, with the back cap going to a dedicated place.

I noticed some folks mention velcro and duct tape, which I can't imagine myself putting on any cameras or lenses, but am curious how folks use them.

Also, a question is, where do you store the front caps when you shoot? Do people use those tethers making them dangle from the lenses?

03-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My lens changing procedure: Make sure space is available somewhere, even if it's just slinging my Ameribag around in front as I stand. New lens lies near, maybe protruding from bag. Both lenses are capped. Old lens comes off - place lens end down, camera body is mount down. Rear cap comes off new lens, onto old lens. New lens and camera body go horizontal, lens is inserted and locked. Push old lens into bag, zip up, sling bag around, and I'm ready.

Tethers break. My lens front caps go into my front pants pocket.
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote

Also, a question is, where do you store the front caps when you shoot?

Pockets. Pockets. Pockets.
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds pretty tidy, but in real world shooting locations, there is not time to set up your "changing station" per se. I simply have the lens ready I want, tilt the camera facing down, twist the lens off the body, pocket it or rest it someplace, twist on the new lens, use cap from new lens for old lens and voila....done and takes what, 8 seconds?

If you are using prime lenses and plan to be out shooting in many different environments,. just make sure you have a safe, quick procedure for changing lenses on the fly, it's not hard and should be second nature if you plan to always be ready yo use the correct lens for the correct shots.

Jason

03-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Please read this thread and this thread on double lens caps.

03-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

And don't forget, on all Pentax mount lenses, the red dot is in line with the aperture setting line of the lens. It is sometimes a little easier to find that line above your aperture ring than the red alignment dots of the lens. If an A, F or FA lens is being used and locked in auto aperture, just drive that big A right in there.
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I prefer to be standing at the top of an eight story building when changing lenses. This way if I am careless enough to drop the lens at least seeing it's glorious impact will make a decent story.
03-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's like babies & diapers; you make do with what you got!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Sounds pretty tidy, but in real world shooting locations, there is not time to set up your "changing station" per se.

03-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a thread on changing lenses: Here.
03-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #10

Also, a question is, where do you store the front caps when you shoot?
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Pockets. Pockets. Pockets.
A lot of dust accumulates on the cap when I put it in my pants/shirt pockets - and a rocket blower cannot completely clean it. I'm afraid that the pinch mechanism might lose its smoothness sooner than it should. Perhaps I need a cleaner pocket...
03-04-2010, 03:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I always use rocket blower whenever I change my lenses, it has become a routine. I blow out the rear element then I blow out the body and quickly re-blow the lens before quickly snapping the lens on.
03-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Inactive Account

So finally I got me some of them Limiteds, and now find myself changing lenses more often. With the previous Tamron zoom almost never did this. When I did, I took some sweet time putting the camera on a clean desk and making sure everything has a place.

Now when I do it in the field, I try to follow a sequence. The room must be there for the lens going off to land safely with the back end up, and a spare back cap must be ready. That way it won't wait until the back cap is going off the new lens. Fumbling for the red dot may take a moment, I prefer not to let go and rotate the hand, leading to some awkward angles.

Then the new lens is going on, with the back cap going to a dedicated place.

I noticed some folks mention velcro and duct tape, which I can't imagine myself putting on any cameras or lenses, but am curious how folks use them.

Also, a question is, where do you store the front caps when you shoot? Do people use those tethers making them dangle from the lenses?
Changing Lenses:

First, I Hate those Press on rear caps. I have a supply of the aftermarket twist on types (like the older Pentax rear cap) for that reason. The press on types end up on lenses that I resell. With the twisty types, (camera strapped) I remove the cap while holding the lens (one handed operation).

I Remove the lens that's on the camera (back facing any wind). I then remove the rear cap from the replacement lens and transfer it to the take off lens. Then I put the new lens on the camera. Then the old lens goes back in the bag or in a coat pocket if that's how I'm out. That's Prime lenses. If I've gone out with a zoom, it's been for a specific purpose and I don't change them out,

What to do with the Front cap? Shirt pocket. I don't buy shirts without them.

03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I prefer to be standing at the top of an eight story building when changing lenses. This way if I am careless enough to drop the lens at least seeing it's glorious impact will make a decent story.

You might even have time before impact to get your camera ready for a shot of the glass shattering.. Any takers what to try it and get a picture?? No? Didn't think so...