Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

need Gemini 2X Tele Converter Help

I am a novice owner of Kx and just purchased a Gemini tele converter for Pentax and cannot get the camera to take a picture with it. I do not know what to do other then go to C4 of the custom section #22 and change permission.
I would appreciate any help in layman's terms.

Thanks for your expertise!

03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few possible problems. The first one that occurs to me is that your camera is set to auto-focus and the teleconverter does not have the screwdrive connection for autofocus. Simply switching the AF switch to MF should allow you to take a photo if this is true, but it'll be an out-of-focus photo.

The other possibilities depend on which lens you're using and what signals and connections the converter can pass to the camera. Does it have a row of electrical contacts near the locking pin slot, similar to your camera mount?
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you the bidder who picked it off ebay in December for $9.88? Just wondering.
It has no contacts but as Dave said you can try switching to "M" mode and take some pictures. You will have to treat it as a purely manual lens so look for the help article on the forum to get you started with manual lenses.

Here is where you start...and welcome to the forum!

Remember, treat it as a K or M lens only. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59287-shooting-manua...x-dslrs-f.html
03-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did not see any contacts so I did assume that it has to be operated manually. I did finally get a couple of picture but, it does not take them every time the shutter button is pressed it seems to be hit or miss.
Thanks for your help!

03-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Suprisingly enough, I actually got it from EBAY a few days ago for 99 cents! It has good weight and is sturdy. I did manage to get a couple shots off but, it seems like I am not doing all the manual settings so that I get the shots I want when I want them. It is a wonderful camera but, there is so much to learn. I am shopping for a telephoto zoom up to 300mm+ because we have graduations and other events coming up soon!
I hope to take some classes so I can learn to speak the language of photography!

Thanks again for the hellp!
03-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Just keep reading threads and asking questions here and you will be reading and writing photog in no time.

If the graduation is indoors (low light) your shopping might need be different than for outdoor events. There are a zillion zooms that go to 300mm but you will need one fast enough to catch enought light at 300mm to do the job. Everyone has an opinion of what is a good lens but its more important that you match a lens to your requirements... than just getting a "good one".

good luck!
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks im! Happy shooting to u this Spring and Summer!

JG
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ROOKIE KX USER Quote
I am a novice owner of Kx and just purchased a Gemini tele converter for Pentax and cannot get the camera to take a picture with it.
I'm not familiar with the KX, but. . .is it possible he has catch-in-focus activated? That would cause a similar effect where the shutter doesn't fire or fires unexpectedly if focus did happen and a non-AE TC could cause an AF lens to act strangely if that were the case.

H2