Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 17 - 70 Can't Focus at long End

I have owned my 17-70 for nearly two and a half years. Just before the two year warranty expired I started having SDM and focusing problems. I sent it in for repairs and it was fixed and sent back to me very quickly. It worked fine for about five months but this week the zoom seemed to lock briefly. Shortly after that I noticed that it would not find focus above 60mm and sometimes even above 40mm. I've tried everything in the K-5 settings for the lens and the same situation exists. My SDM seems to work fine but this focus lock issue is annoying. It seems to be the same problem discussed above. Apparently the only logical solution is to send it back for more repairs although this time there will be no warranty coverage. That will leave me with just one lens while it is being fixed.

02-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #17

I brought my DA 17-70 lens with focusing problems above 50mm to local camera service. What they did was they cleaned all the electrical contacts inside the lens. Now the lens is working well again. The serviceman had one Nikon lens in pieces on his worktable and showed me a magnetic switch from that Nikon lens. DA 17-70 has similar swich inside and the serviceman duobted the flatcable connection from this magnetic switch was loose. It is a common problem in many lenses he told me.
02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Canada charged me well over $200 to fix the lens. They replaced a circuit board. It worked just fine when I received it but I then put it up for sale. Now that I own a DA 18-135 I don't miss the 17-70 or the costly repairs.