Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just sold my 50/1.4 but it was a great lens. If the OP wants I have a Tak 55/1.8 and a beat to hell, but still very functional 50/2 that I will loan to the OP. If they cover shipping costs. I feel you need to try a lens to know what it is truly about.

03-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
As GoremanX noted, his comparison isn't quite fair bacause the f-stops aren't really equivalent -- like driving a 50mm prime in 3rd gear (out of 7) and the kit lens in 1st gear (out of 3). Put them both mid-range, say f/11, and the kit's sharpness probably won't look bad at all. And for all the prime's sharpness, it's not so useful when the only way to get that wide shot is to back up over the edge of the cliff.
This has been the bane of my shooting sessions so far... the Super Takumar causes me to miss some shots because it acts like a 75mm on my K-7. Sometimes, I just can't back up far enough.

This was the only way I could fit this subject in the frame without going for a swim in Lake Champlain in mid-January:
Name:  GORE4166.JPG
Views: 3132
Size:  194.7 KB

I essentially consider that shot useless. I don't think I can ever use it for anything.

Meanwhile, the kit lens can get some amazing shots sometimes due to its great range and excellent quality stopped down, but its speed (or lack thereof) means I can't get creative with it. The only way to get really sharp shots is to have nearly everything in focus.

It's a frustrating balance. Sometimes I wish I had one of those Pentax K 28mm or 35mm F2 lenses. But 50mm Super Takumars are so cheap and plentiful...

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Of those lenses listed, I would use the M50/1.7 just because it's easier to mount and unmount.
Bah, I have my adapter mounted to the lens with Loctite Blue. It's just like having a K-mount, but with manual metering. Not that it matters, I almost never meter anyways, at least not in winter with all this snow around.
03-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I might try the loctite approach too, the adpater method really is a problem for me

Also.. for the boat, have you ever considered stitching?

I can't count the number of times I was in similar situations and resorted to taking a few frames(panning) and stitched them together afterwards. For the most part, it works really well.
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Also.. for the boat, have you ever considered stitching?

I can't count the number of times I was in similar situations and resorted to taking a few frames(panning) and stitched them together afterwards. For the most part, it works really well.
I tried that once, but my perspectives were wrong and instead of a Lamborghini, I ended up with a weird green banana-looking thing.

Stitching works well when you can get the proper perspective for each shot, but not so much when the boat is anchored in the water and I can't move any farther side-to-side. Maybe if I actually put some effort into it, I could get some good results. But it's a lot easier to just slap on my F 35-70mm lens instead

03-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Here is a SMC Pentax-A 50mm ƒ1.2 on a K-7. It was stopped down due to the close range and shot in manual mode.

Last edited by tuco; 03-09-2010 at 11:15 AM.
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
Could somebody give me their opinion, which of he following three 50 mm manual focus lenses, which I happen to have in my "oldies" collection, would be best with Pentax DSLR:
SMC Pentax KA 1:2 50mm, Made in Taiwan
SMC Pentax-M 1:1:7 50 mm, Made in Japan
Super Takumar 1:1.4 50 mm, Made in Japan
How do they measure up with the standard kit lenses like the 18-55 DA in terms of resolution and contrast?
Hey, luma.

I'm new to the Pentax corner of the universe, but I have three M-series 50s: a 2.0, 1.7, and a 1.4.

Previous posters have more knowledge about these lenses, I'm sure. But in the short time I've been using these lenses on my K-7, I like the 1.4 and 1.7 far more than the 2.0. I don't know if it's just that my wife's 2.0 is a bit sub-par, but it doesn't seem as capable as the other lenses.

But you sure can't go wrong with an M50/1.7, and if you don't mind the adapter, the Super Tak 50/1.4 ought to be great. (I love the M50/1.4 I recently picked up with an MX.)

I have the 18-55 WR kit lens, and it's okay, but I use it mostly for close shots right now (pseudo-macro), and I'll keep it because it's weather-resistant. I admit I like primes better, but I think it's pretty clear that either my M50/1.7 or M50/1.4 is a superior lens--at that particular focal length, that is. At 18mm, though, the kit lens is much better. . . .

Again, my 2 cents probably has more zinc than copper compared to other folks', but at least that's my experience so far.

Have fun with them!

Last edited by grey goat; 03-09-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added comparison to kit lens