Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One last lens

Ok I want/need one last lens in the wide wide angle variety. I have the 16-45, but still want something that shows the shoes of the girls I am having cocktails with(which is my wife, but still). What is the 77 ltd of ultra super wide angles?

PS ok I lied after this lens I want something in the 400 - 1200 range... but that will be for later... thus it doesn't count.

03-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Ok I want/need one last lens in the wide wide angle variety. I have the 16-45, but still want something that shows the shoes of the girls I am having cocktails with(which is my wife, but still). What is the 77 ltd of ultra super wide angles?

PS ok I lied after this lens I want something in the 400 - 1200 range... but that will be for later... thus it doesn't count.
just shoot them vertically, at a certain angle or with enough distance. problem solved. you don't have to have an UW lens just for shooting shoes alone. your lens is more than enough to accomplish such feat.
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you desperately want to spend money I'd suggest either the DA* 14/2.8 or DA 12-24 f/4.

I don't own one of them but I haven't read anything negative about these lenses.
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Move further away from my wife!?! That doesn't work, just gets me in more trouble... I don't NEED to spend the money, but I like to reward myself with something after tax season, it gives me something to look forward to after 60 days of 16 hour days... only 55 more!

03-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Move further away from my wife!?! That doesn't work, just gets me in more trouble... I don't NEED to spend the money, but I like to reward myself with something after tax season, it gives me something to look forward to after 60 days of 16 hour days... only 55 more!
hmmm....then I'd suggest that you think it over. the reason is, you dont want to spend money on a lens for such a limited purpose where you could buy other lenses which are great for other purposes that you might need more. I dunno what your lens line-up is, but would be interested to know what you have and what you shoot most of them time, aside from feet. I'm not saying that the DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 are not good lenses, but rather the reason for having one is not that warranted especially when your 16-45 can do it. you don't have to shoot further away just to shoot people's feet. just tilt your camera in different positions and angle and you got yourself a full-figure. you can shoot her up close from 3ft vertical or from 5 ft vertical with enough allowance.

Yes, it's time to file those T4's and get some extra money from your own money. but I think I would reserve it for a future FF body or the upcoming Sigma lenses.
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is no such thing as "One last lens", just "The next lens". You won't get a lens to cover 400-1200mm so you will just have to settle for "The next lenses"
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The problem is not the lens, it's the body and its tiny APS-C sensor. Get a fine Pentax 35mm film camera. Your lens's FOV will expand dramatically. Sure, there will be some vignetting, but unless you hold the camera at a 45 degree angle, you'll still get all of her in the picture. Or you could just angle your current camera, fill the frame corner-to-corner with her luscious presence, straighten the image in PP, and pretend that you WANTED that diamond-frame look. Or you could buy a Zenitar 16/2.8 K -- but be careful not to shoot from behind unless you like big butts.

03-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
hmmm....then I'd suggest that you think it over. the reason is, you dont want to spend money on a lens for such a limited purpose where you could buy other lenses which are great for other purposes that you might need more. I dunno what your lens line-up is, but would be interested to know what you have and what you shoot most of them time, aside from feet. I'm not saying that the DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 are not good lenses, but rather the reason for having one is not that warranted especially when your 16-45 can do it. you don't have to shoot further away just to shoot people's feet. just tilt your camera in different positions and angle and you got yourself a full-figure. you can shoot her up close from 3ft vertical or from 5 ft vertical with enough allowance.

Yes, it's time to file those T4's and get some extra money from your own money. but I think I would reserve it for a future FF body or the upcoming Sigma lenses.
I should explain this better.... I am looking for a good lens to photograph with in a crowded room. I only mentioned feet in passing, but a lens that would allow one to take a photo from a minimal distance without leave enough room for people to walk between you and the lens and also would be wide enough to give you the feel of a small room. I like to have my camera with me a lot, and I don't like to have to move away from a group just to take a photo with the 50 or 70. I really like the range of the 18-250 or the 16-45, but I was hoping there was something smaller to fit on my KX like the 70 or 50. Plus, I often like to leave my camera out so others can pick it up and shoot a picture or two, and often they are intimidated by a zoom lens on an slr.

The holes in my lens are sub 14mm and greater than 320mm. I have been thinking about a mirror lens, but really I am happy with either the DAL 55-300, Tak 200, M 75-150 or the CRAP 70-320.

I don't keep many lens, really I would love to be able to rent them, but I just view the postage paid before I resell the lens as the price of finding my 'fav' set of lenses.

I like the idea of the FF, but is there a firm date on that yet? Last thing I saw was a dark japans page with no English and a shape of a camera that may have been a FF or a med format, there was much debate on the post as to which it was.

I have a spotmatic with a 28, 55 and 200 which is great... just want to move that feeling to digital... (don't we all!)
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
If you desperately want to spend money I'd suggest either the DA* 14/2.8 or DA 12-24 f/4.

I don't own one of them but I haven't read anything negative about these lenses.
Where does one find a DA* 14mm? Is it on the roadmap of future lens releases? If you're suggesting the DA14, then I can agree. Another that will get you there nicely is the DA15mm Limited, about half the size and weight. Can't help with a suggestion on the 12-24, don't own one, yet.

03-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I should explain this better.... I am looking for a good lens to photograph with in a crowded room. I only mentioned feet in passing, but a lens that would allow one to take a photo from a minimal distance without leave enough room for people to walk between you and the lens and also would be wide enough to give you the feel of a small room. I like to have my camera with me a lot, and I don't like to have to move away from a group just to take a photo with the 50 or 70. I really like the range of the 18-250 or the 16-45, but I was hoping there was something smaller to fit on my KX like the 70 or 50. Plus, I often like to leave my camera out so others can pick it up and shoot a picture or two, and often they are intimidated by a zoom lens on an slr.

The holes in my lens are sub 14mm and greater than 320mm. I have been thinking about a mirror lens, but really I am happy with either the DAL 55-300, Tak 200, M 75-150 or the CRAP 70-320.

I don't keep many lens, really I would love to be able to rent them, but I just view the postage paid before I resell the lens as the price of finding my 'fav' set of lenses.

I like the idea of the FF, but is there a firm date on that yet? Last thing I saw was a dark japans page with no English and a shape of a camera that may have been a FF or a med format, there was much debate on the post as to which it was.

I have a spotmatic with a 28, 55 and 200 which is great... just want to move that feeling to digital... (don't we all!)

I see. so you have two choices in this situation. it's either the zenitar 16/2.8 which has a 180 degree fish-eye view or the DA15/4 rectilinear view.

the zenitar has an acceptable minimum focusing distance, it's faster, has a 180 degree view, cheap and small but is manual focus, fish-eye (may or may not suit you).

the DA15 is small, great minimum focus distance, rectilinear, autofocus but it is slower, has less view coverage, and a bit pricey.

it now depends on what you are willing to compensate.

I can't recommend the 12-24, DA14 and Sigma 10-20 since those are quite big of a lens as compared to the 2 primes that I've mentioned.
03-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I should explain this better.... I am looking for a good lens to photograph with in a crowded room. I only mentioned feet in passing, but a lens that would allow one to take a photo from a minimal distance without leave enough room for people to walk between you and the lens and also would be wide enough to give you the feel of a small room. I like to have my camera with me a lot, and I don't like to have to move away from a group just to take a photo with the 50 or 70. I really like the range of the 18-250 or the 16-45, but I was hoping there was something smaller to fit on my KX like the 70 or 50. Plus, I often like to leave my camera out so others can pick it up and shoot a picture or two, and often they are intimidated by a zoom lens on an slr. .
Ok. I personally think for indoor shots in cramped environments AND for taking the lens with you all the time, I personally would forgo all the big, bulky and heavy lenses. Neither the DA 12-4 nor the Sigma 10-20 (which I would otherwise suggest) are lenses, which suite this environment. I would go for the Pentax 10-17mm fish-eye, which is only a fish-eye at the 10mm extreme and otherwise seems to be a very capable wide angle.

Also, I would think about using a small prime lens. The DA 15mm comes to my mind immediately, but as you want wider, this is to be ruled out. Perhaps the old Pentax A 16mm fish-eye would fit te bill. Its angle of view is wider than the DA 15mm, despite its seemingly longer fl. Or you go for the Sigma 8mm fish-eye. But then (and quite as wth the cheap Samyang 8mm) this is again bulkier than the diminutive DA 15mm.

Ben
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good luck finding one...

source: Bojidar Dimitrov

...otherwise Pentax 10-17 (discontinued) or Sigma/Tamron 10-20(22)
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would my regular 49mm UV filter fit that?
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I see. so you have two choices in this situation. it's either the zenitar 16/2.8 which has a 180 degree fish-eye view or the DA15/4 rectilinear view.

the zenitar has an acceptable minimum focusing distance, it's faster, has a 180 degree view, cheap and small but is manual focus, fish-eye (may or may not suit you).
I disagree. The 10-17 is my 'inside' lens of choice. While I dearly love my K-mount Zenitar, it's not what I take into crowded interiors. The Zenitar's IQ improves noticeably when stopped down vs wide open, and though it's a tad faster aperture-wise, it's slower to use, due to manual focus and exposure. I use it outdoors when I don't want to be tempted to zoom.

Also, the Zenitar does NOT have a 180-degree FOV except on a full-frame camera (like my ZX-M). On an APS-C camera, it's closer to 105 degrees. The Zenitar and the 10-17 (at 16mm) are about equally fishy on my K20D, and the 10-17's FOV actually seems slightly wider. I'm desk-checking the cameras and lenses right now, and that's what I see.

The DA 10-17 is less than an ounce (20g) heavier than the Zenitar, and is smaller and lighter (and probably cheaper) than the DA 12-24, DA 14/2.8, DA 16-45, and DA* 16-50. And it's such a stellar performer. Discontinued? Oh ratz.
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I disagree. The 10-17 is my 'inside' lens of choice. While I dearly love my K-mount Zenitar, it's not what I take into crowded interiors.

Also, the 10-17 will make breasts (or whatever is right in front of it) appear ...larger.