Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Zoom Lens? K-X

I'm going to save up for a new lens soon and I've been looking at a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens. Seems like a good price. I won't want to spend more than $300 on a zoom lens. I would like some suggestions of zoom lenses preferably with AF and... Quick-shift is not necessary but good to have. best to have 50 or higher as I'm happy with my 18-55 kit lens. Macro function is not a must either. Thanks guys!

Side question: Would a 28mm f2.8 for my K1000 be okay? I like wide angle lenses a lot ;D. Should I try and get something wider?

Side SIDE question (optional): After reading the thread about Thoriated Glass and now I am afraid a bit... Is my K1000 viewfinder radioactive? and are my M and A lenses radioactive? PROBABLY NOT.... but asking anyways. Thanks guys again!

03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's one in the For sale subforum...so far one person has asked...for $125 what do you have to lose?

Use Flickr to see samples of what people have used it for
03-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
There's one in the For sale subforum...so far one person has asked...for $125 what do you have to lose?

Use Flickr to see samples of what people have used it for
Hehe, thanks dude for the heads up, I didn't even see that. I've seen some pictures of it shooting before, and now I just saw even more and the pictures are beautiful! Wonder how well it'd work on a K-X.

Oh, any suggestions for any other lenses? maybe sigma? or something? This of course seems the best price for the quality.
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're willing to spend more, then I'd suggest forgoing the Tamron 70-300 and going for the Pentax DA 55-300. Its quality and sharpness is unrivaled in its class. Any manual focus K-mount 28mm lens would do just fine on your K1000. Or if you have an M42 adapter, then any M42 lens would work fine too. Enjoy the journey.

03-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Side SIDE question (optional): After reading the thread about Thoriated Glass and now I am afraid a bit... Is my K1000 viewfinder radioactive? and are my M and A lenses radioactive? PROBABLY NOT.... but asking anyways. Thanks guys again!
If there was a radioactivity problem with the K1000 and the M series lenses, there should be a lot of people out there with radiation poisoning. I have several "M" lenses and so far I'm OK. Had them over 20 years. Let's face it most everything has some level of radioactivity, even the air, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
03-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're willing to spend more, then I'd suggest forgoing the Tamron 70-300 and going for the Pentax DA 55-300. Its quality and sharpness is unrivaled in its class. Any manual focus K-mount 28mm lens would do just fine on your K1000. Or if you have an M42 adapter, then any M42 lens would work fine too. Enjoy the journey.
Hehe, how about going even wider than 28mm should I or should I not? Hmmm.. yeah I was thinking about the Pentax DA 55-300... but since I have a K-X should I get a DA L? Are Sigmas any good?

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
If there was a radioactivity problem with the K1000 and the M series lenses, there should be a lot of people out there with radiation poisoning. I have several "M" lenses and so far I'm OK. Had them over 20 years. Let's face it most everything has some level of radioactivity, even the air, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
LOL, that is true. Yeah, I think I get more radiation from going on the computer everyday... or walking near power lines... I love M-lenses, even if they were radioactive.
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Hehe, how about going even wider than 28mm should I or should I not?
I have hardly ever had a need for wider than 28mm on a film body. On an APSc body it will more or less be like a 50mm on a film body; around 42 mm equivalent is quite nice in my opinion to use as a standard lens.

LOL, that is true. Yeah, I think I get more radiation from going on the computer everyday... or walking near power lines... I love M-lenses, even if they were radioactive.
Don't forget cell phones. Also, are you sure that your microwaves is not defective; at the business where I work they get tested every 6 months or so.

03-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I have hardly ever had a need for wider than 28mm on a film body. On an APSc body it will more or less be like a 50mm on a film body; around 42 mm equivalent is quite nice in my opinion to use as a standard lens.

Don't forget cell phones. Also, are you sure that your microwaves is not defective; at the business where I work they get tested every 6 months or so.

I'm not sure ;( but I'm never around it when it gets used. ;P Yeah man, cell phones... I can't believe some teenagers like me talk on it for even 1 hour or more. I talk for less than 1 min and get it done! ;( Oh wells about the lense. Yeah 28mm is awesome enough, I think if I get anymore wider it'd be harder to find and be more expensive. So I wonder if a 16mm on my K-X would be wider than a 28mm on a K1000 film?

03-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Yeah 28mm is awesome enough, I think if I get anymore wider it'd be harder to find and be more expensive. So I wonder if a 16mm on my K-X would be wider than a 28mm on a K1000 film?
The Tamron is a nice lens for what it is. I think I showed you pictures from mine awhile back. With it's tendency to flare up the purple fringing on the long end though, I think I'd have to 2nd the suggestion for the Pentax 55-300. I'd go for the non-kit version as well for the hood and quick shift focus. I don't think I ever want to buy another AF lens that does Not have quick shift. At least not a zoom.

As for the Wide angle, you're right. If you want to go wider than 28 with a Pentax lens, it's going to cost you some money. For now, I'd suggest sticking with the kit lens for your wide angle shots. That said, I'm more of a prime lens guy (single focal length). If you don't mind going Fisheye, and manual everything, the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 is a cool lens to have. New, in US$, these can be had for about $180. Used, I've seen them in the $125 range. The bonus is that it will be an ultra wide on your K1000.

These were taken with a modified K20d but the wide angle possibilities can be seen..

03-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

16mm on the Kx equals a field of view of 24mm on the K1000 (cropfactor 1.5x)
03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The Tamron is a nice lens for what it is. I think I showed you pictures from mine awhile back. With it's tendency to flare up the purple fringing on the long end though, I think I'd have to 2nd the suggestion for the Pentax 55-300. I'd go for the non-kit version as well for the hood and quick shift focus. I don't think I ever want to buy another AF lens that does Not have quick shift. At least not a zoom.
Yeah, quick shift I don't mind, but I think I WILL want to have a quick shift no matter what. Yeah ;( purple fringies ;(. So yeah... I've been looking at the DA version, I don't really like the DA L versions much, my kit lens is awesome I, but would be better if it had come with a lens hood and a metal bayonet. It isn't really that much lighter in my opinion. I've been also looking at some Sigma 70-300mms. Not sure how good they are. So I'm trying to decide between Sigma 70-300mm and 70-300mm Tamron. I COULD save up about 2x the Tamron, but I could use that money elsewhere. Do I seem to be fine with my 18-55mm DA L but, I might plan to get a DA II if I can... or maybe even some 17-70mm or something. Yeah... that's my extra question. ;D

As for the Wide angle, you're right. If you want to go wider than 28 with a Pentax lens, it's going to cost you some money. For now, I'd suggest sticking with the kit lens for your wide angle shots. That said, I'm more of a prime lens guy (single focal length). If you don't mind going Fisheye, and manual everything, the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 is a cool lens to have. New, in US$, these can be had for about $180. Used, I've seen them in the $125 range. The bonus is that it will be an ultra wide on your K1000.

These were taken with a modified K20d but the wide angle possibilities can be seen..

Hehe they are some nice pictures there, but doesn't wider angle lens also make everything more fish eyed lookin?
03-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Yeah, quick shift I don't mind, but I think I WILL want to have a quick shift no matter what. Yeah ;( purple fringies ;(. So yeah... I've been looking at the DA version, I don't really like the DA L versions much, my kit lens is awesome I, but would be better if it had come with a lens hood and a metal bayonet. It isn't really that much lighter in my opinion. I've been also looking at some Sigma 70-300mms. Not sure how good they are. So I'm trying to decide between Sigma 70-300mm and 70-300mm Tamron. I COULD save up about 2x the Tamron, but I could use that money elsewhere. Do I seem to be fine with my 18-55mm DA L but, I might plan to get a DA II if I can... or maybe even some 17-70mm or something. Yeah... that's my extra question. ;D
Back in the day, the Sigma and the Tamron were regarded as very similar. Ive never tried the Sigma but I do believe that if you're going to get one, you want the APO version (google it).

QuoteQuote:

Hehe they are some nice pictures there, but doesn't wider angle lens also make everything more fish eyed lookin?
The Zen 16mm IS a fisheye lens. You can also get a Rectiliniar lens that doesn't bend objects. Now you're talking high cash again. If you want to keep in in the Zoom range, the DA16-45 f4 is worth looking at. These can be had for less than $300 used.
03-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back in the day, the Sigma and the Tamron were regarded as very similar. Ive never tried the Sigma but I do believe that if you're going to get one, you want the APO version (google it).

The Zen 16mm IS a fisheye lens. You can also get a Rectiliniar lens that doesn't bend objects. Now you're talking high cash again. If you want to keep in in the Zoom range, the DA16-45 f4 is worth looking at. These can be had for less than $300 used.
(Gasp) I hmm.. I see... I won't be getting anything that expensive anytime soon ;P. 28mm + 50mm + 135mm good enough for my awesome K1000.

Hmm, over at the lens review... the Sigma isn't rated that much higher than the Tamron and it also costs more. I think I'll settle for the Tamron ;D.
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the Tamron - it's good value for money, although I still would personally have gone with the DA 55-300. Even without quick sift, the L version is optically the same as the original quick shift version and outperforms the Tamron and Sigma in every facet of image quality.
03-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would also have gone with the 55-300mm.