Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That image was taken at 300mm + TC attached.
I did not us SR (no sense) since handholding at 500mm+ isn't very feasible with such a setup.
OK ... got that and thanks John.

JP

09-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ideally you should input the focal length that you actually are using for each photo. As this is impractical, you should input a length on the LOW end of the range. If you input too long a focal length you will get blur as the camera will over-compensate.

Ignoring the shake reduction system for a moment, think of the affect the same amount of camera shake will have on two different focal lengths. Obviously the longer the f/l , the more camera shake will affect the image. The shake reduction system works my moving the sensor more for a longer f/l to compensate, so if you input a f/l in excess of what you are using you will get S/R system induced blur.
Right!
OK then.
Reason I asked is that I never used this TC with a zoom lens. Now I know why the focal length input is done that way.
Thanks bunch for the tip.

JP
09-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
My thinking is if the SR is set for 135mm(80 on the lens) and you are zoomed to 340mm (200 on the lens) you will still get some benefit at a reduced amplitude. On the other hand if the SR is set for a focal length longer than what the actual setting is, it will overcompensate and cause blur. Some crude testing I did seemed to bear this out so I went with it. Of course I could be wrong.
Well explained and a welcomed answer.
OK, so it goes ... use the shorter end for input.

Thanks.

JP
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #34
Site Supporter

... thanks for the tips and explanation guys.

So would it be safe to assume that, if used with a DA*16-50/2.8, you'd input (if necessary) the closest possible FL near 27.2?
I don't know if the camera would still prompt you for focal input though, this being a "fast" lens?
Better go and test it myself ...

JP

Edit: I just tested it with the DA*16-50 ... works really well with focal input of 28mm. Great shots and the AF still active.
Gives me a 28-85/4.5 zoom.

Last edited by jpzk; 09-19-2010 at 06:36 PM.
09-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... thanks for the tips and explanation guys.

So would it be safe to assume that, if used with a DA*16-50/2.8, you'd input (if necessary) the closest possible FL near 27.2?
I don't know if the camera would still prompt you for focal input though, this being a "fast" lens?
Better go and test it myself ...

JP

Edit: I just tested it with the DA*16-50 ... works really well with focal input of 28mm. Great shots and the AF still active.
Gives me a 28-85/4.5 zoom.
Yes that is correct. Of course if you know you are going to use it only at 50mm (85mm with t/c) then you can enter 85mm, as long as you change it back to 28 or 30 when you start using all the zoom range again.
09-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got mine in a second hand shop in Amsterdam for €20!
In some of these dusty old shops you can find loads of second hand Pentax stuff for small prices, they only have so few customers looking for these items.
The whole world is looking at Ebay instead.
It was a bargain for such a good TC, my best...

- Bert