Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

EBay: Pentax F AF SMC 1.7x Teleconverter Lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In the past week, I have been tracking some lenses on ebay and I came across the Pentax 1.7x AF Teleconverter. There must have been about five days left on the auction and the price was already up to $150.00. Friday morning the auction closed and the final bid was at $410.00!! I was flabbergasted, I never expected a teleconverter would fetch so high a price.

What is so special about this teleconverter? I am quite indifferent about using teleconverters in general; the gain of focal length being offset by resultant loss of f-stops do not appeal to me. I acknowledge the uniqueness of this particular unit's ability to auto focus-assist some manual lenses, but novelty of using the unit quickly wear off with the noticeably darker viewfinder. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

03-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It's a well regarded 1.7x TC, with high quality, but that's not all. It also allows you to use auto-focus on manual focus lenses. This ability is unique to this TC and one Nikon's TC. Plus, until recently, it was discontinued. But now it seems that it's back on production, at least in Japan.

I have one, paid for about USD250 (used) and I have no regret. I use it with my Tamron SP 80-200 2.8 and so far I'm satisfied with the result. With the TC the Tamron max aperture becomes F 4.5, which is still fast enough for me. With good light I usually use F8 anyway.

Check the reviews on
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 1.7x AF Adapter

EDIT: I missed the part where you mentioned about its AF abilities. I thought you didn't know about that. Still, IMO the high price is caused by the rarity, high quality and well the AF ability.

Last edited by sajah; 03-06-2010 at 06:24 AM.
03-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I followed that auction and at that price its just somebody who paid to much to get quickly. There are multiple options to purchase a NEW one through a brokering company or individual in Japan for $80 less. I know because I did (as long as it arrives!). That ebay seller however is a long-standing storefront not far from me and I too would have paid more from them than a random seller of used gear.

Still, with the best AF function of any TC ever made, if its worth $300, its also worth $400 if you can't find one.

IMHO
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #4

I think people get a bit carried away sometimes on Ebay. On Ebay in the UK you often see 50mm 1.7 F going for more than £100 which is considerably more then they were costing new. And any Pentax AF prime also go for a fortune. This makes me think that Pentax should start manufacturing some of these lenses again as there defiantly seems to be a demand for them.
As for as the 1.7 tele-converter is concerned I am sure that I have seen on another thread on this site that they are still available new in Japan, but they are still expensive. I think some must have been found in the back of the warehouse somewhere.

03-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by older not wiser Quote
This makes me think that Pentax should start manufacturing some of these lenses again as there defiantly seems to be a demand for them.
As for as the 1.7 tele-converter is concerned I am sure that I have seen on another thread on this site that they are still available new in Japan, but they are still expensive. I think some must have been found in the back of the warehouse somewhere.
Exactly right. Pentax HAS been making more of the 1.7x TCs in Vietnam. I just bought a new one through a broker in Japan. The cost was only a nickel different from a new Canon TC from B&H that does not do focusing. Shipping of course was $25 more than B&H.

I thought about why Hoya restricted distribution and a couple of reasons come to mind but I like to think this is a trial balloon and if they step up production then Worldwide dealers will see it.
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the inputs, and sorry for not participating sooner. It seems to me the denizens of this forum are willing to fork out good money and then some, if the uniqueness of the item warrants it. The AF 1.7x TC is unique for sure, but I think I would rather spend the extra and get the longer focal length telephoto lens.
03-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This e-bay store wants $875 ?

Pentax-F AF Adapter 1.7X...1056493...NEW/RARE/BOX - eBay (item 270280309773 end time Mar-20-10 14:17:11 PDT)

03-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Thanks for all the inputs, and sorry for not participating sooner. It seems to me the denizens of this forum are willing to fork out good money and then some, if the uniqueness of the item warrants it. The AF 1.7x TC is unique for sure, but I think I would rather spend the extra and get the longer focal length telephoto lens.
The Pentax world is not especially rich with those longer telephoto lenses.
03-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Pentax world is not especially rich with those longer telephoto lenses.
So I found out, looking around on the web just now.
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now, that is real crazy! Still, the merchant had 29 offers (all declined)...
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter

My reason for using converters is the greater flexibility with focal lengths by using shorter telephoto lenses and a variety of high quality TCs.

My two lenses are the DA*300/4 and the A*400/2.8. Depending on where I set up and what I am shooting, I may add a 1.4x, 1.7x or 2x converter to give me the appropriate focal length. If I ONLY had a 600mm lens then I am SOL if I need less. A 250-600mm zoom is a possibility but I have never seen one for sale. IQ degradation is not an issue with the primes unless I stack converters; at least according to my possibly low standards and certainly mediocre eyesight.
03-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Now, that is real crazy! Still, the merchant had 29 offers (all declined)...
Sure. I made an offer of $335 and it was declined. Then I bought one yesterday through a broker in Japan for that price.
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
There are multiple options to purchase a NEW one through a brokering company or individual in Japan for $80 less. I know because I did (as long as it arrives!).
Do you have any sources (such as said brokering company) that you can share?
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the SMC-F 1.7X AF TC is both a fine TC and something that provides autofocus to manual focus lenses.

here is a sample of what the TC can do on a good lens, in this case an SMC300F4

don't discount a good TC. they can deliver quality when used on a quality lens. The old saying holds true garbage in garbage out.
09-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Does it also work properly on shorter lenses like for example a 50 mm?