Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Teleconverter and FA50

Possible? How bad IQ? I'm just thinking in terms of an ultra light kit indoor/outdook as an occasional alternative to dragging around my zooms. A 2x tc plus an FA35 and FA50 in theory covers the range from 35 thru 100 pretty well at f4 or better outside, and gives me nice light fast lenses inside. In practice I assume there may be major compromises. Any experiences here?

03-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LouD Quote
Possible? How bad IQ? I'm just thinking in terms of an ultra light kit indoor/outdook as an occasional alternative to dragging around my zooms. A 2x tc plus an FA35 and FA50 in theory covers the range from 35 thru 100 pretty well at f4 or better outside, and gives me nice light fast lenses inside. In practice I assume there may be major compromises. Any experiences here?
The specs that I've read on several TCs is that they are not recommended on lenses with focal lengths less than 100mm. Don't know if that applies to all TCs, but just the ones that I checked out.
03-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The TC will work no problems (of course as manual focus lenses if your TC lacks autofocus ability) but you're going to get significant degradation of image quality.

If you want a mid-telephoto lens, it's much better to invest a little money on a good 100mm or just get a decent telezoom like the DA 55-300 for starters. You'll be pleased you did.