Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Lens Prices - Through the ROOF!!!???

Hello All:

Me and a buddy both got K20D's a little over a year ago. At the time, I bought a new USA Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro for $400. He went to look for the same lens a couple of weeks ago and they are almost double in price now!!!

What gives with the (Pentax) lens market? Why have the prices gotten so high?

03-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi: There have been four or five discussions about this since late August, when Pentax lens prices started to climb. The summary opinion seems to be Hoya wants to show a profit at the Imaging Systems division. On a IQ/$ basis Pentax lenses were incredibly cheap. Now they are fair. K-7 and K-x are generating buzz, 645D will be announced March 11th.

I suspect Hoya either wants to make something of Pentax (with some partner) or get the revenue and profit up to sell it.
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by P-SHOOTER Quote
Hello All:

Me and a buddy both got K20D's a little over a year ago. At the time, I bought a new USA Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro for $400. He went to look for the same lens a couple of weeks ago and they are almost double in price now!!!

What gives with the (Pentax) lens market? Why have the prices gotten so high?
Prices took a huge hike back in July 09. Seems they've taken a few huge hikes since then too. Use to be able to get a new FA50f1.4 for less than $200 (last year at this time). Now they are $340+.

Was the double priced lens the newer Weather Resistant lens? The ebay going price for the DFA100 Non WR, is around $650.. Still too much for my taste but..

03-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ahh, yes. I have the #21520 version prior to the WR #21910. Still, best prices that I found on the #21520 lens was at Adorama for just under $600 and the WR #21910 on B&H for $699.95. Many places want much more for either.

We all should have invested in lenses when the market crashed! That's a great ROI on for lenses. Reminds me of the old days, when I was able to buy a Hasselblad and sell it back to the place I bought it from for a profit not even a year later.

03-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You all have to remember that they US dollar hasn't been doing well against foreign currencies. This has also had an effect on the US prices. As the value of the dollar falls, it takes more of them to buy the Japanese yen neccessary to buy those lenses.

It is also true that Hoya is trying to bolster Pentax profit margins. I believe I read a comment somewhere, at the time of the merger, by some high-ranking Hoya exec, that Pentax' margins were too low.
03-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

I'm new to Pentax, but coming from Panasonic/Olympus, Pentax prices are still significantly lower for the same range of lenses. Panasonic seems to price their lenses as if they were lined with 24k gold or something. I know some of you long-time Pentaxians won't feel the same as me, but Pentax is still the best deal going right now.

NOT that I'm saying they shouldn't be cheaper...if Pentax wants to lower their prices, that's fine with me!
03-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not even the new lenses. Even the old used Pentax-M and Takumar lenses on Ebay have increased. The demand for it has certainly gone up, possibly as result of the price hike on the newer lenses.
03-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by P-SHOOTER Quote
Ahh, yes. I have the #21520 version prior to the WR #21910. Still, best prices that I found on the #21520 lens was at Adorama for just under $600 and the WR #21910 on B&H for $699.95. Many places want much more for either.
The older version is also operating on limited stock since I believe they've stopped production on it. Stores probably think they can charge a premium since it's cheaper by comparison to the new WR version.

03-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
It's not even the new lenses. Even the old used Pentax-M and Takumar lenses on Ebay have increased. The demand for it has certainly gone up, possibly as result of the price hike on the newer lenses.
Probably also the success of the K-x and K-7...
03-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

this is also the wrong forum for a discussion on lens prices. I've moved it to the SLR Lens forum, where you'll find dozens of similar threads.

As has been noted in the dozens of prevous threads on this topic, there are a number of factors involved here - exchange rates, new ownership of Pentax, etc. And the prices tend to vary by country and also by lens. Some lenses have gone up by more than others, and gone up more in some regions than others.
03-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #11

Marc -- by the way, great to have you as a moderator here. I went to your blog recently and discovered you're also a pianist and a Pentaxian, what a combination! Hope you can have someone in the audience with your Pentax to make a good shot when you're playing.
03-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Marc -- by the way, great to have you as a moderator here. I went to your blog recently and discovered you're also a pianist and a Pentaxian, what a combination! Hope you can have someone in the audience with your Pentax to make a good shot when you're playing.

What--he can't play with one hand and shoot with the other?
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have had a few fellow Pentaxians (including my wife) shoot me while playing. Also had a group of Lecia folks (!) shooting me recently, icnluding one with a 50/0.95 - I am *really* hoping to see those shots at some point.

But as for shooting myself while playing, luckily, there is the DA15:

03-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Wow, what a great shot! Doesn't even resemble the usual self-shots from the point-and-shoots. By the looks of it, ought to be moved to the "DA 15mm Limited controls my mind" thread!
03-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #15

am i glad i got my silver FA limiteds early woohoo