Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Heads up for AUSSIES interested in DA*s

Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home has listed the DA*16-50 at $1,164 and the DA*50-135 at $1,530. By comparison, the RRPs are US$899/AU$1049 and US$999/AU$1166.

Given that that shop generally has the, or very close to, cheapest price in Australia it looks like CR Kennedy has screwed us over again. FFS, the current exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.16700 AUD...

07-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, nice price discrepancy there.

Have fun.
07-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The price for 16-50 f2.8 is acceptable. I might just get that one instead.

Thanks for posting this up!
07-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No worries! I'm interested in it too, but like I've said to you before, I really can't spend any more on the camera gear - the 16-45 is very good anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Wow, nice price discrepancy there.

Have fun.
Oh, bad news for you guys, the cheaper preorder listings on Adorama Camera have disappeared.

07-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

To be fair it should be noted that those prices you have stated are inclusive of the 10% GST which really makes it about $1,375.00 + tax for the DA* 50-135.

Still a fair whack though.

But be realistic though this is not a Pentax conspiracy nor a CR Kennedy one - this is what we as consumers in Australia have let them get away with. Just look at the price of Canon lenses on the same site

canon 17-55 f2.8 $1,741 + GST same lens on B&H $999.00 US ($949 with rebate) that's $1,164 Australian.
07-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So it's worth getting lenses in from overseas then (although you then have to add customs duty on that too I guess ... and then it'd be close to what they are charging here anyway.

A lose/lose situation really.
07-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I am no sure about customs duty; I have heard that there is no duty on photographic equipment -have tried checking the customs site but like all govt depts - VERY UNHELPFUL and non user friendly.

But I a think there will be a GST charge.

Of course if you know anyone overseas they can always send you a gift - if you get my drift.
07-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #8

What part of being screwed do you not understand?

So the prices for these so called 'new wonder lenses' are likely at normal rip off prices in Australia? As I see it, you have two choices, live with it as good 'Close your mind and remember we are a small market, and a looong way from Japan or other supplier, the packaging is special etc... ' mentality consumers, or buy off shore. This is the only way the suppliers, distributors and resellers will get the message.

It is all manipulative BS. As any Australian that has travelled knows, pricing is 'what the market will bear' in Australia. If you do not believe this, tell me why a wrist watch is $25 in Canada or the USA, and the same model popular here in Australia is over $100.

To compare lenses again, why is a SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro $394 USD ($459.798 AUD) from B & H Photo in the US, and $695 ($631 Ex GST Online) in Australia.

Do the math, regardless of import duty or GST etc, it is still a whole lot cheaper to buy the product off shore, pay the shipping and any taxes and still come out ahead. At most this lens would cost me $499 delivered to my door. I would save close to 30%

Why your say? Because we accept it, and pay the price... Want to get the prices down? Refuse to pay more than a fair price, but do your research and let them know why you are not buying.

Sorry for the rant.. but it is a PITA that we get treated this way, because the market can... Pentax is short of lenses, the prices ARE up, demand is high.. this will pass, but in the meantime I am happy with Sigma's EX lenses and do not plan on buying inflated priced Pentax lenses, my LBA is not quite that bad.

Just my opinion.....

Phil

07-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well the two Tokina versions are up on photozone.de

Maybe a preview of whether or not its worth the price?
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens from overseas.

Just a quick word on buying from overseas, I have purchased a number of lens from USA and Canada and have never yet paid customs duty into Australia.
All items were brand new, not used equipment.
Then again maybe I have just been lucky to get them through the mail.
Worth noting, when I find I can always get the required item so much cheaper than the exhorbitant prices charged here in Australia.

#it disappoints me, however, how many sellers in USA and Canada (retail and ebay) wont accept payment or dealings with Australia (such as Paypal). Some must think we are still in the dark ages down here!!

Last edited by Bramela; 07-08-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition
07-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Just a quick word on buying from overseas, I have purchased a number of lens from USA and Canada and have never yet paid customs duty into Australia....
Depends on the price. Australian Customs have officially said that items received through the mail with a value of less than AUS$1,000 will not have GST applied. The cost of the paperwork is just not worth it for them on lower value items.

So it's not all bad news living Downunder, although we do get ripped off ferociously on many things.
07-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmmm ... time to look overseas for lenses then.
I have been looking at prices and have seen the difference (especially after doing the currency conversion).

I know about the $1000 limit for costs of items coming in ... but if looking for a lens that is more ... I think i'll be slugged with some sort of duty ... i think it's Customs Excise (equivalent to our GST) on the item.
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Hey, Aussies, stop whining

You still get your equipment cheap.

Look what people in Europe are going to pay
07-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know about the $1000 limit for costs of items coming in ... but if looking for a lens that is more ... I think i'll be slugged with some sort of duty ... i think it's Customs Excise (equivalent to our GST) on the item.[/QUOTE]

You can use the TRS scheme for items over $1000. I claimed TRS for my K100D and F*300 and got 10% of the total back.
07-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
It is all manipulative BS. As any Australian that has travelled knows, pricing is 'what the market will bear' in Australia. If you do not believe this, tell me why a wrist watch is $25 in Canada or the USA, and the same model popular here in Australia is over $100.
Exactly, that's the point. That's the market economy. Sell stuff as expensive as you can, get from your customers as much as they are willing to pay

You're not living in USSR planning economy where price of each product was determined purely by calculating costs for producing it Strange that you, who spent all your life in market economy, sometimes think like most Soviet people were thinking just after collapse of USSR