bummer!

Looks like I gotta research more.

07-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
bummer!

Looks like I gotta research more.
Haha sry to disappoint you Raider. I was in the same position. It was hard to get the aperture lever link tubes on ebay...usually all auctions and you get sniped often.

The whole though of tubes nearly left my mind until one day I saw the set of Ricoh tubes sitting on the shelf at the camera store I go to..
07-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Nop, doesn't look like it has the "A". He probably meant the Ricoh program pin hence the "PK-A/R" designation. "R" for ricoh. If you do get it, check for a thin gold colour pin at the lens base. If you see one, you'll probably have to sand it off cuz there's been reports of this pin getting stuck in the AF screwslot camber and locking the lens on the camera.
07-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

or this... while not a true macro, it will do most of what you want. i own this lens and like it a lot, pic attached. very versatile walk around lens. not sure this is an 'A' lens version. these usually go for $35-70.

eBay: Kiron 80-200mm F4.5 Macro Telephoto for Pentax (item 300129238096 end time Jul-17-07 17:30:00 PDT)

Last edited by ivoire; 02-01-2008 at 10:11 PM.
07-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys U have given me an invaluable lesson on macro lens today
07-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Wow ivoire, you did all that with the bare kiron 80-200? No tubes?
07-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So can I use the DA 50-200mm w/o tubes to take picture like this and then use genuine fractals to crop the picture?
07-15-2007, 05:16 AM   #38
Pentaxian

genuine fractals is used to blow up the pic ie increase the size of the original image by up to 1000% while retaining the original detail (any pic with any lens). once blown up, you crop the image and then you can resize it. you have to try it to get a feel for how it works. it is seamless in photoshop. remember, you must have the detail in the shot as gen frac just increases the size and retains existing detail but will not improve or add detail. a friend uses gen frac to shoot models for dress catalogs with an 8mpx olympus. he is able to repeatedly blow up images to produce life-size cutouts. they have a free 30 day trial. you can try it and see if it gives you what you want. again, it is not true macro photography, but i find i useful for many projects. if you are going to shoot a lot of macros, a macro lens is the way to go. this was shot at 42mm with the 16-45 da lens and processed with genuine fractals. second pic is the original:

Last edited by ivoire; 02-01-2008 at 10:10 PM.
07-15-2007, 05:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have now researched some macro lens but they are a little pricey for me still.

I am now looking at the Sigma 70-300mm APO version which can do 1:2 macro. Since I sorta also need a telephoto lens of higher focus length than my current DA 50-200, I thought I might just kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

What do u think of using the 70-300mm APO for macro photography? It is not that good as compared to a pure macro lens, but is it that bad?
07-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

You can add a K extension tube (one with aperture lever linkage) and bump the Sigma to a 1:1 macro and over. :P

One of the benefits of having an aperture ring on a lens. :P

If you are low on cash, the tamron will be just fine. Or the cheaper Sigma 70-300 Macro DL (non APO version).
07-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also want to consider the Tamron 70-300 LD DI, i believe it is less expensive than the similar Sigma, and from what i have read, it may be a little bit better too, I have it, and really like it.
07-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
You might also want to consider the Tamron 70-300 LD DI, i believe it is less expensive than the similar Sigma, and from what i have read, it may be a little bit better too, I have it, and really like it.
Yes, from all I have read, the Tamron 70-300 LD DI is better than any of the Sigma 70-300s, even the $230 top-end Sigma (Sigma makes 3 different 70-300 lenses in different quality grades). Also, Ritz Camera sells both Sigma and Tamron 70-300 units rebadged as Quantaray, if you want to get the item from a brick and mortar store. (If you want to mailorder, Amazon is $30 cheaper than B&H for the "real" Tamron.)

Note that the Tamron macro only gets you a 1:2 magnification ratio (ratio of the image on the sensor to the actual object), i.e. it's "pseudo-macro" not true macro. The "true macro" lenses can achieve 1:1 without extension tubes. To go beyond 1:1 you will still need tubes or closeup lenses. (Tubes give better image quality.)

As others have mentioned, "el cheapo" tubes such as the ones for $15 on eBay will not work well at all with the Pentax DA-series lenses because they lack an aperture ring. They'll work much better with the Tamron though, as it does have an aperture ring.

Note that the dedicated macro primes will have much higher image quality than the 70-300 "macro" zooms. That said, you'll likely be able to get some pretty good results with the Tamron 70-300 and some tubes (el cheapo or real).

In general, it seems that most macro photographers don't autofocus. Macro environments often are quite brutal on AF systems. Also, unless you have a lens with internal focusing (i.e. front of the lens does not move forwards/backwards while focusing), the best way to focus will be to move your camera towards/away from the subject. (Some companies make special macro focusing rails just for this purpose, although for shots with the lens vertical you can often get away with just a tripod with adjustable height and the camera pointed straight down.)

My current macro equipment:
A set of 52mm Tiffen closeup lenses. Likely to get eBayed soon, the image quality of any combo that can beat the Tamron 70-300 I just bought in magnification isn't very good.
A Tamron 70-300 "Macro" zoom lens, I've only had it for a few hours but I like it so far. Test shots coming whenever I have an opportunity for a walk in the park with good lighting. (Unfortunately many of the local flowers are wilting now...)

I'm definately going to be getting a set of tubes soon.
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

I am rather surprised that you mentioned the Tamron 70-300 is better than the Sigma 70-300 APO, as I understand that the APO version is sigma's professional range and there are many forumers who own it and swear by it.

Price wise, the cost difference between the Tamron, Sigma and Sigma APO is not that great, and I can get either of these lenses.

Now I am torn between choices the Tamron and Sigma Lens hunting is such a tough job

I read that Sigma and Tamron's Quality Control are not that strict and uniform, as same copies can have different characteristics. Do you guys also observe this as well?

I will try to search the internet for some reviews for these 2 lenses. In the meantime, if there are other feedbacks on these 2 lenses, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks
07-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The third tier Sigma APO MIGHT be better, it's almost impossible to find any reviews from anyone who has owned that variant. I went with the Tamron (actually the Ritz Camera Quantaray-branded one) because it was a relatively "safe bet". Not the best lens (biggest problem is supposedly purple fringing), but a decent one especially given its price.