Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Oh deary me.....!

For those with incurable LBA (like me), here is some bad news:

Sigma have added Optical Stabilization to the Bigma 50-500mm lens, and it will work on the Pentax:

Sigma stabilizes 50-500mm ultra-telezoom: Digital Photography Review

And - just to add fuel to the addiction, they have added an 8-16mm rectilinear super wide-angle to the range, also in a Pentax mount:

Sigma goes ultrawide with 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC: Digital Photography Review

Oh my goodness...! I already have a Bigma, plus a Sigma 10-20mm, but I feel a severe bout of upgrade-itis coming on very soon now....

Anyone overseas from me (I'm in Australia) already laid eyes, or even better - hands - on one of these yet? Any impressions?

03-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
For those with incurable LBA (like me), here is some bad news:

Sigma have added Optical Stabilization to the Bigma 50-500mm lens, and it will work on the Pentax:

Sigma stabilizes 50-500mm ultra-telezoom: Digital Photography Review

And - just to add fuel to the addiction, they have added an 8-16mm rectilinear super wide-angle to the range, also in a Pentax mount:

Sigma goes ultrawide with 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC: Digital Photography Review

Oh my goodness...! I already have a Bigma, plus a Sigma 10-20mm, but I feel a severe bout of upgrade-itis coming on very soon now....

Anyone overseas from me (I'm in Australia) already laid eyes, or even better - hands - on one of these yet? Any impressions?
you forgot about the Sigma 85/1.4 which could post a threat to the FA77.
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you forgot about the Sigma 85/1.4 which could post a threat to the FA77.
As I know, Sigma is going to release a cheaper lens of 85/1.8 lens
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
As I know, Sigma is going to release a cheaper lens of 85/1.8 lens
you are misinformed >>> Sigma releases 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM: Digital Photography Review

03-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hot Dang!!! There goes another year's salary!

I have come to the inescapable conclusion that there is no cure for LBA, and therefore the only way to cope with it is to MANAGE it. In other words, get a bigger lens cupboard!

I have tried LBA Anonymous, but we ended up taking photos of each other and swapping lenses. I tried cancelling all my credit cards, but then ended up putting stuff on my wife's cards which meant we had to sacrifice the new lounge suite and meals for a couple of months.

So - a bigger cupboard, a replenished credit card, lots of overtime, and simply accept the fact that the affliction is a fact of life. Happy again.

Now - when will those new Sigmas be coming to Australia......???
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hot Dang!!! There goes another year's salary!
Your problem is, you have an honest job. Become a criminal. Rob mini-marts. Learn how to exploit identity theft. Go into politics, religion, television. Become a financial or psychic advisor, or even a dog psychiatrist. Set up a pharmaceutical website specializing in drugs for male impotence and pattern baldness. There are many easy ways to acquire enough money to feed your addiction. All you need discard are your scruples.
03-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scruples? What scruples???

Politics - now THAT'S a great idea. I could become a celebrity politician by spouting off about all things controversial (eg B. Joyce, B. Brown etc) then steal gear off the papparazzi....

Oh - they'd probably be using CaNikon stuff.

Oh well - looks like robbing 7-11 stores may be the way to go.....

03-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Politics - now THAT'S a great idea. I could become a celebrity politician by spouting off about all things controversial (eg B. Joyce, B. Brown etc) then steal gear off the papparazzi....

I would suggest removing photo of yourself from avatar to make this a successful venture

cheers
03-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I would suggest removing photo of yourself from avatar to make this a successful venture

cheers
Might be his brother-in-law, in which case it might be useful to keep it there
03-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate. There's a much easier solution. Apply for a government grant to research LBA. All you have to do is add " ... and its effect on climate change" to the subject of your grant application and you're home and hosed

Richard.
03-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ROTFLMAO

Richard - that's IT! You've cracked it.

All of us in here could form the ICCCPG - the International Committee on Climate Change due to Photographic Gear - and apply for those research grants. The effect on global warming is one aspect - all the amplification of sunlight through the lenses while they're being changed, the increase in the total amount of light surrounding the planet from all those flash units, the collective micro-dimpling of the Earth's surface by all those tripod feet - the list goes on...!

Brilliant! And of course we would each need full and free access to the funds to get the much-needed equipment, like Sigma 8-16mm lenses, to see how much more or less they contribute to warming compared to the Optically Stabilized Bigma.

Ah yes - I can see it now. All of us cornering the world market in gear, and granting ourselves full Ph.D. doctorates.....
03-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Using basic (if slightly skewed) logic it should be possible to argue that by using all those photons to from images in our cameras we must be capturing them and so preventing them from contributing to global warming. Therefore the greatest contribution we can make to the prevention of glabal warming is to buy more big fast lenses - a 300mm f/2.8 must collect more photons than a kit lens.
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

doing our damndest

QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
Using basic (if slightly skewed) logic it should be possible to argue that by using all those photons to from images in our cameras we must be capturing them and so preventing them from contributing to global warming. Therefore the greatest contribution we can make to the prevention of glabal warming is to buy more big fast lenses - a 300mm f/2.8 must collect more photons than a kit lens.
I've argued for years that locales popular with snapshooters -- Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Colorado, Kremlin, Statue of Liberty, Yosemite Valley, Eiffel Tower, Mounts Fuji and Vesuvius and Shasta and Matterhorn, Disneyland, Melbourne Opera House, Brangelina -- are Photon Depletion Zones. Massive photon depletion MUST have some serious environmental consequences, yes indeed. Who knows -- greenhouse effect, pole reversal, even orbital dynamics, may all be at stake! Large-scale studies of the effects, positive or negative, are urgently needed. Who, but this dedicated Plethora of Pentaxians, is more willing to sacrifice their time and energy and expertise, to engage upon this arduous endeavour? Yes, for the good of all life on this planet and beyond, we DEDICATE ourselves to the intensive study of LBA, Photon Depletion, COD Economics, and Brangelina!
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm - we're definitely onto something here! It all makes at least as much sense as the current theories on "global warming".

Now, about those new Sigma lenses..... sorry, I thought I'd better just mention them in case the Moderators pull this thread for wandering off-topic

Now, where were we with the whole Plethora of Pentaxians thing...?
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmmm - we're definitely onto something here! It all makes at least as much sense as the current theories on "global warming".
Glaciers and icecaps are still melting, so the globe is still warming.

Lens prices keep rising (except those I want to sell), so global economy still sucks.

But there are solutions.

Global warming: Nuke China, the Persian/Arab Gulf, and Brangelina.

Lens prices: Grind your own. Use pinheads, I mean pinholes, and zone plates. Use Fresnel lenses, they're cheap. Recycle eyeglasses. Boycott eBay stores and BuyItNow items. Re-purpose binoculars and telescopes and rifle sights. Buy the old lenses I have to sell, they're cheap. (Ignore the Canon and Nikon and Leica mounting hardware, just cut those off and glue them to Pentax lenscaps.) Switch to Super-8. Buy Russian glass. Auto headlights are big lenses -- use those. Steal surveillance cameras. Train yourself to vomit and faint whenever you see a price greater than 50 bucks. Stare directly into the sun until your eyes burn out, then you'll never need to buy another lens. Take up knitting, morse code, wine tasting, playing in busy roadways, self-abuse, ant farming, the monastic life. And never think about elephants.

See, it's easy. Everything is easy. Life is wonderful. Gotta go now.