Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

This Lens is Soft!

Roger from Lensrentals has a follow-up to his oft-cited 2008 post, "This Lens is Soft and other Myths"

LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other FACTS

Well worth reading.

03-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting... so I need a fuzzy 1 mb camera and i will be way more happy...
03-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This was posted before
03-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry, I confused it with "This lens is soft" and other myths

03-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #5

I remembered reading the original AF article, and enjoyed reading this followup. Thanks for sharing. It agrees with what many of us here have been speculating all along, but it's nice to hear it from an industry "insider".

That said, would it not be reasonable to assume that part of the high costs of the Pentax Ltd lenses (FA and DA) goes towards higher manufacturing tolerances and assembly/testing procedures? Looking back, I don't recall ever reading a report of a "bad" Ltd lens (including the Vietnam assembled ones).
03-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Banned

this needs to be read by all those fools that swear up and down its solely the fault of being assembled in Viet Nam, as the cause for the problems exhibited in the DA* 16-50's and the untrust of any FA limited now being assembled there.
03-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this quote sums up my feelings:

QuoteQuote:
And stop looking at 100% images on your monitor: not only will it make you go blind, 50% screen resolution is more resolution than your printer can reproduce anyway. Unless you print billboards designed to be viewed from 5 feet away.
Another excellent point was that at some point we do have to realize that the lens mount and camera body stiffness is a limiting factor on sharpness for any small format camera. Like the author, I have often wondered how long the mount can stay perfectly aligned after being knocked around and/or pulled down with the weight of with long lenses. I suppose that the ultimate step may be a micro-adjusting mount linked to an autofocus system, something like the focus calibration on some older big-screen televisions.

If you really want the ultimate in sharpness, a larger format with less enlargement where tolerances will mean less is still the best way to go.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-10-2010 at 07:12 AM.