Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Since yours is K-x, the smallest D-SLR, I recommend the DA 15 and DA 21 if you have enough budget. Those lens is incredible sharp, and you can put the camera with them in your pocket. The combination of them is really convenience for travelling. And you can save space in your bag.

03-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say to look at the following 3 lenses:
The Pentax DA Fisheye. It's super fun, takes unique photos, and can even make for some fun people pictures.
The Tamron 10-24mm. It's fairly cheap, and has the widest angle (109 degrees) of anything out there. It's quality isn't quite as good as the Sigma or the Pentax, but it is wider and cheaper.
The Pentax DA Limited 15mm. This lens is just optically stunning.
03-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend you invest in a tripod (in case you don't have one) before getting another lens. You'll want to play with your F stop and will most likely be taking pictures at dusk or daybreak, where light is softer. You won't be able to handhold many of those shots.

If you want to get a new lens, is there a friend that has a lens you can try for an afternoon? If you are looking for something "cheap", manual focus will afford you a great lens at a reasonable price. Try a Pentax lens, like a K, M or A 28/3.5. I prefer manual focus myself, but some want AF.

btw...the 16-45 is a great lens and is a good replacement for the kit lens, but it seems much like it is too close to the lens you already have.

Good luck
03-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find most of my landscapes are between 20 to 40mm. For this range, my Tamron 17-50 is excellent--all I really need when hiking, though a longer lens is occasionally desired. Also, the f 2.8 speed, in the forest where light is often scarce, is nice.

There are lots of great lenses in this focal range--really depends on how much speed you want and what you want to pay. Rustynail925's suggestion to work with the kit 18-55mm for a while, until you know what you want, makes lots of sense.

03-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks to All

Thanks to All! Then, I will not buy yet anything.
May be later i can buy "used" SMC PENTAX DA 16-50mm F2.8.
03-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Since yours is K-x, the smallest D-SLR, I recommend the DA 15 and DA 21 if you have enough budget. Those lens is incredible sharp, and you can put the camera with them in your pocket. The combination of them is really convenience for travelling. And you can save space in your bag.
I own and love those lenses, but with a combined price of about $1,000, I can't say that would be "cheap."
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #22

Original Poster
Yes, this is very expensive for me. I would save money. )))
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

since you already have the kit lens and a tripod, i'd say the best run for your money is software like photomatix if you're looking for pure cost efficiency.

HDR photo software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography

03-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by insanoff Quote
So what is the best cheap lens for landscape photography for Pentax k-x?
Depends on what you mean by cheap (do I hear an echo?)

I've had great luck with the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4. Always does what I tell it and it *doesn't* have SDM (a *feature* from where I sit having had my DA* 50-135mm SDM go tits up recently). Can't complain about the 12-24.

Regards,
Terry