Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peleng 8mm Problem

This thing has been sitting in a bag for 2 years, and it's time to get some use out of it. I gave it a shot Saturday for a few minutes, but couldn't get it to focus at any range. So today, I'm trying to making this work.

Genuine Pentax K-M42 adapter, and this thread was a start:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=12333

Anyone have any experience with this beast?

Last edited by Ira; 03-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I left out a clue, and then thought of something else:

Even though she wasn't close to focus, I was in M mode and hit the Green button for Tv shift. However, the mirror would pop up, and it gave me an EV shift each time I did it. Like, the Green button didn't do what it does with all of my other other manual lenses.

This has a T adapter on it, and the Vivitar I tested yesterday also had a T and focused fine.

Is it possible that a slight disparity in the machining of the T would make such a difference, not noticeable in film but highly exaggerated for digital, especially using the Pentax M42 adapter to boot?

When it comes to 3rd party lenses, I haven't exactly been batting a thousand so far.
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Genuine Pentax K-M42 adapter, and this thread was a start:

LSE9901B1250 | HP LSE9901B1250 LCD Adapter 12V 5A
I'm not sure how a 5v power supply is related to this. [Evil voice: IT AIN'T!!] Assuming the Peleng is M42, then yes, an M42-PK adapter is needed. I have the Zenitar 16mm, not a Peleng (although I've lusted...) and I also have a Vemar 12mm. Ah, the Vemar... it's a T2 mount. I got a T2-PK adapter. Adapter is mounted correctly (I think). Vemar still won't focus. I've been told the rear element is not aligned perfectly. I wonder if this is common in cheapish fisheye primes? If your Peleng doesn't focus (and at 8mm, EVERYTHING should be in focus!!) maybe the problem is structural.

I left out a clue... This has a T adapter on it, and the Vivitar I tested yesterday also had a T and focused fine.
I hadn't seen your second post when I wrote the above. Maybe this is a structural problem with cheapish fisheye T-mount primes. Maybe you should visit a shop where someone knows and tests lenses. Maybe I should too.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-10-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more info
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm not sure how a 5v power supply is related to this. [Evil voice: IT AIN'T!!] Assuming the Peleng is M42, then yes, an M42-PK adapter is needed. I have the Zenitar 16mm, not a Peleng (although I've lusted...) and I also have a Vemar 12mm. Ah, the Vemar... it's a T2 mount. I got a T2-M42 adapter. Adapter is mounted correctly. Vemar still won't focus. I've been told the rear element is not aligned perfectly. I wonder if this is common in cheapish fisheye primes? If your Peleng doesn't focus (and at 8mm, EVERYTHING should be in focus!!) maybe the problem is structural.
Ooops. Fixed the link.

It focuses fine on the Spottie.

Should I first try to swap out the adapter with the one on the Vivitar? That one and this one are just a ring with three screws, to M42. Or do they make a T2 to PK?

03-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Should I first try to swap out the adapter with the one on the Vivitar? That one and this one are just a ring with three screws, to M42. Or do they make a T2 to PK?
There are T2-to-ANYTHING adapters. Like I said, I use a T2-PK on the Vemar.
03-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There's a little optical piece on the rear of mine that appears like it screws in and out. I THINK it's a rear element filter, required for the lens to focus. This lens is also supposed to come with R,G,O filters for this rear element--the only way to use filters on it, but mine didn't.

I tried to turn this ring, and it didn't move. But, I don't even know if the filter goes on TOP of this or not.

I have a conference call now, and as soon as I get off, I'll take some pictures.

Very aggravating. I know this lens isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know I can have some fun with it.
03-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
There are T2-to-ANYTHING adapters. Like I said, I use a T2-PK on the Vemar.
That may be my whole problem there, although it worked with the Vivitar 250:

I had T2 -M42, to Pentax M42 adapter on body.

03-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure that the lens is supposed to be T mount? How difficult was it to screw the T mount adapter onto it?
I did a quick search on the Peleng 8mm and none of the results I got were for a T mount version. T mount and M42 mount have similar threads - same diameter different pitch - and I have seen T mount adapters forced onto an M42 thread. If this is the case then the T mount will have shifted the lens so far forward that you will not get focus on anything further than a few mm from the lens. Try taking the T mount adapter off and screwing the lens gently into the m42-K mount adapter. If it screws on easily then try this on the camera, it may work better.
03-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Matt, all the mount is is a collar with an M42 fitting that slides onto the shaft and secured via 3 tiny screws on the side. I don't know WHAT it actually is, but it rotates freely around the shaft of the lens until you tighten the screws.

I did photos, but my album was full of here. Let me delete some photos and get them up there.

Last edited by Ira; 03-10-2010 at 01:10 PM.
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay.

The area retouched (poorly) in gold represents the adaptor. It just slides over the collar/column of the lens, and is tightened by 3 set screws on the side. Toward the center, you can see the raised M42 threads. without the screws, it just rotates freely.

The red area represents a rear element that I THINK is removable, with the optic in the center mounted in a plastic wheel. The side of it has ridges, as if to rotate, but with moderate pressure, it didn't move at all, so I left well enough alone.

Notice how the rear element protrudes slightly from the top of the M42 mount, with yellow line added for dramatic effect:

03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Update:

I removed the mount, just held it to the "hole" of the body (with care that it wouldn't touch the sensor), and it's crystal clear.

I don't have the right lens on my camera to take a shot now, but there's no real mount to this lens, be it screw or bayonet. It's a collar with a groove around the perimeter to set the screws into it.
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

... there's no real mount to this lens, be it screw or bayonet. It's a collar with a groove around the perimeter to set the screws into it.
That's about how the Vemar 12mm is IIRC. The T2 mount sits there (tight fit, I hope) and gets screwed down, and I hope and hope... It's kind of like a left turn I saw in central Mexico a few years ago, on a busy highway. The bus driver crossed himself, closed his eyes, and spun the wheel and accelerated. Anyway, I tried various T-type adapters with it last year and haven't messed with it since. Too bad, it has such potential... just like I had, at one time.
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Let's not get into lost potential, because that's my middle name. But wouldn't this be possible:

Just take the cheap Bower m42-pk adapter with locking clip removed, and permanently machine/screw it to the lens, utilizing only the k side of it? Or to be safe, splurge for the Pentax one?

Like I said, it was crystal clear just held up flush to Pentax adapter. The only concern is being 10,000% certain that the mirror doesn't hit it.

It's also pretty weird that this lens and adapters are available for most mounts, except pk.
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
BTW:

That manual focus site I linked above is fantastic, but when I went to register, it said they're not accepting any more reservations.

I sense an evil conspiracy, because whoever heard of that? Possible Iranian involvement?

JUST JOKING, MODS!!!!
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Information about modifying a standard T2 mount for use with the Peleng 8mm (FYI I haven't tried this):

Mod T mount.jpg photo - Pete Ganzel photos at pbase.com

Manual Focus Forum / Russian interchangeable mount lenses (T/A)