Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

the FA 31mm rattles a bit

Got a new FA 31mm, amazing sharpness! One thing I'm not sure about is, it rattles ever so slightly if you try to wag it by the hood. Also, when pixel-peeping, looks like the very edges are just a bit softer than the center, I guess it would be expected of any lens?

03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never used it and cannot answer your question.
But nice lens, always my dream lens.
Congratulations!
03-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Got a new FA 31mm, amazing sharpness! One thing I'm not sure about is, it rattles ever so slightly if you try to wag it by the hood. Also, when pixel-peeping, looks like the very edges are just a bit softer than the center, I guess it would be expected of any lens?
I see how you came by your forum name. I would not be "wagging" an FA31 by the hood.

In general, stuff has to move inside a lens, some of it has to move fast, so parts can't be fitted tightly enough to not rattle a little.
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

We need a sticky.
Lenses rattle.
It's because they have moving parts that need enough slack in them to move.
Take away the rattle, and you've taken away the ability for things to move.
Go out and take some pictures, you spend far too much time posting about non problems that you think you've found.

03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
damn snakes. they are everywhere.
03-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Mine doesn't rattle at all. Have you tried banging it on something to see if it goes away?
Okay the last part was a joke, but mine really doesn't rattle at all.

But the edges are a bit softer than the corners, and yes, that's true of most lenses, though resolution is more even in pancake lenses like the DA40 and DA70, and also some macro lenses, which are optimized for copying and stuff.
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have one and it does rattle slightly. Still is stark as a tack.
03-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine does, too. I exchanged one because the rattle was excessive. Even slightly rocking the lens caused it to make a "tick-tock" sound. It had arrived with a smashed corner on the original box (not the shipping box) and it was evident it was dropped at some point. My second arrived perfect, but still exhibits a slight rattle which I figure is normal.

03-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glarus Quote
Mine does, too. I exchanged one because the rattle was excessive. Even slightly rocking the lens caused it to make a "tick-tock" sound. It had arrived with a smashed corner on the original box (not the shipping box) and it was evident it was dropped at some point. My second arrived perfect, but still exhibits a slight rattle which I figure is normal.
Ah! Rocking -- here's the word I was looking for... I don't know if it qualifies as tick-tock -- I feel the tick-tock, but the sound is very soft, rocking sound. I'd say the movement is 0.1mm or less. It's tack sharp. I've read that due to its design, the focus ring is not dampened. Perhaps it should rock a bit also...
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine is the same as yours, and I have come across 3 others samples in the past, all the same except some more obvious, some not. It has to do with the way the inner moving parts are designed (different from all other Limited lenses). If it's sharp, nothing to worry.