Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-Mount 2 Lens "keeper"?

Somewhere here I saw someone had posted a picture of a "puck" that is basically a double female mount that replaces the back lens cap on two lenses. Maybe my search-fu is weak, but I can't find it anywhere here in the forums. Part of the problem is I don't even know what it's technically called, and the other part is that I think someone just happened to post a picture of it in an unrelated thread, prompting others to say "hey, what's that thing?"

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the name of this product? I remember someone saying it was kind of pricey. However, I think it would be very useful for carrying two DA Limiteds without taking up a lot of space in the bag. Thanks!

03-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glarus Quote
Somewhere here I saw someone had posted a picture of a "puck" that is basically a double female mount that replaces the back lens cap on two lenses. Maybe my search-fu is weak, but I can't find it anywhere here in the forums. Part of the problem is I don't even know what it's technically called, and the other part is that I think someone just happened to post a picture of it in an unrelated thread, prompting others to say "hey, what's that thing?"

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the name of this product? I remember someone saying it was kind of pricey. However, I think it would be very useful for carrying two DA Limiteds without taking up a lot of space in the bag. Thanks!
I don't own one, although I've thought about getting a few. Here's a link:

OP/TECH USA | Double Lens Mount Cap f/ Pentax Lenses | 1101251
03-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This thread.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-10-2010 at 03:39 PM.
03-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Can't you just take two cheap caps and epoxy them back to back?

Mind you, I think this is a freaking good idea for shlepping gear, so thanks for the tip!

03-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's it! Thanks!
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Can't you just take two cheap caps and epoxy them back to back?
Done that too, before I bought the caps from Op/Tech: linky.

And here are my comments regarding them:

The (Op/Tech) cap is attached to the lens with different degrees of tightness (you control how much to twist the cap on). At the greatest tightness. it's not possible for me to remove the cap with one hand. But it is doable if I don't tighten the cap too hard. A nice thing is that it's not easy for the cap to detach itself from the lens, even with a moderate degree of tightness.

However, there is a minor problem in attaching the cap to the lens: the small bump on the cap has to be aligned with the red dot on the lens. In the photo, you can see the bump on the free standing cap at 6 o'clock position and on the one attached to the lenses at 11 o'clock position. It's not as bad as some Tamron or Sigma caps because it's easy to feel the bump.

The tightness of the Op/Tech double lens cap is particularly suitable for quick lens changing because it is attached tight to the lens. My DIY double lens caps are pretty loose so I have to be careful not to drop the cap (or the lens ) in the process. There is no danger like that with the Op/Tech lens caps.

I'll keep these two caps for my Ltd lenses, and will probably buy a few more, not one for each lens, but one for each lens I carry for a photo session for fast lens swapping.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.