Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Lens Mount Compatibility?

Hey guys!

Locally I've been trying to sell my 28 mm f/2.8 Takumar wide-angle lens. This lens is Pentax K bayonet-mounting without electrical contacts. Although it's in flawless condition, this lens is probably 25 years old. I've been told that it is, nonetheless, compatible with certain dSLR cameras when set to manual mode, as well as an assortment of convention SLR film cameras.

A number of interested buyers have already contacted me to inquire regarding exactly which SLR and dSLR cameras this lens would be compatible. The camera body on which I used this lens was the Pentax MEF.

A point-and-shot image of the mounting end of this lens is provided below. The mount has a red dot (which is not visible in the photo) which must be lined up with another red dot on the camera body when mounting.

QUESTION: How can I find out exactly which camera brands and models this lens would be compatible (including both SLR & dSLR cameras)?

(I guess this rudimentary question reveals my complete ignorance about such things! )

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

Attached Images

03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's sort of compatible with every K-mount camera, with a few film camera exceptions and some usage limitations.

Some auto-focus film cameras in the MZ/ZX line can't meter with this type of lens, only 3 or 4 cameras altogether. With the other film cameras, the lens works in the same way you use it on the ME-F: set aperture on the ring, focus manually, meter works normally.

On the Pentax digital SLRs, the lens works with stop-down metering. Basically, set the aperture on the aperture ring, and meter by pressing a button or moving a lever to set the shutter speed. This only works in M mode. The auto-focus sensors are active with this lens so although focus is still manual, a light will flash in the viewfinder when the camera detects focus in its center AF sensor. A flash will fire at full power.

This lens has the same optical formula as the Pentax-A or Pentax-F 28mm f2.8, but is not supposed to have SMC coatings.
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks, Dave. That's a tremendous help!

Cheers!