Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
pentax lenses

I'm new to dslr camera but just got k10d- is it true that any k mount lenses will
fit on the k10d...

07-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentax K mount lenses will fit, yes.

And with an adapter, so will any M42 screwmount lenses.

And with other adapters, so will Pentax 645 or 6x7 lenses.
07-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just have to make sure on the M models, or any K Mount that has no "A" setting on the aperture ring, to go to the "custom" menu, and set "use aperture ring" to permitted.
07-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

yes it will, some of them with some restrictions though. And old manual lenses (the non SMC) you will have to use in M mode. And (at least on K100D I don't know how K10D is with this issue) with non SMC lenses you won't be able to use multisegment metering...

07-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #5

Old lenses...new camera

This may be the thread I've been looking for. I have an old Pentax ME (film camera) from the '70s and three lenses. The one that came with the camera is a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens (that I always loved for its speed and clarity). I also have a Soligor Wide-Auto 1:2.8 28mm lens and a Vivitar 70-150mm 1:3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom. I'm lusting (don't tell my wife, please) after a new K-10D but am unimpressed by the lens that is bundled with the camera. I have a Canon Pro-1 digital camera that I like fine but have been waiting to get back into the SLR realm because I miss being an actual photographer (versus someone who just points and prays). Now, finally, to my question: will these old film camera lenses work with no problem on the K-10D? I couldn't care less about autofocus, I've have nothing but problems with that, over the years. I just want to make sure that the rest of the camera functions would work with these lenses. I think (though I'm not certain), that these are all K mount lenses. The camera body doesn't appear to have any kind of electrical contacts on the mount. Can anyone enlightent me? Thanks in advance.
07-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by GridUser Quote
This may be the thread I've been looking for. I have an old Pentax ME (film camera) from the '70s and three lenses. The one that came with the camera is a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens (that I always loved for its speed and clarity). I also have a Soligor Wide-Auto 1:2.8 28mm lens and a Vivitar 70-150mm 1:3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom. I'm lusting (don't tell my wife, please) after a new K-10D but am unimpressed by the lens that is bundled with the camera. I have a Canon Pro-1 digital camera that I like fine but have been waiting to get back into the SLR realm because I miss being an actual photographer (versus someone who just points and prays). Now, finally, to my question: will these old film camera lenses work with no problem on the K-10D? I couldn't care less about autofocus, I've have nothing but problems with that, over the years. I just want to make sure that the rest of the camera functions would work with these lenses. I think (though I'm not certain), that these are all K mount lenses. The camera body doesn't appear to have any kind of electrical contacts on the mount. Can anyone enlightent me? Thanks in advance.
As long as these lenses are Pentax K mount they will work. There are a few versions out there (very few) that have a longer 'collar' that is beside the aperture lever. Those will not fit the new bodies. Just have a look at your 50mm 1.7 to compare, if they appear similar to that lens then you're fine. With these lenses you listed you will have to set the aperture ring to "permitted" in the camera's menu (only have to do it once and forget it). Then you will shoot everything in manual mode for the most part.

I would suggest that for the money, get the 18-55 when you buy the camera. It's a very decent lens and dirt cheap as a bundle. IMHO you'd regret not getting it later and if you don't use it much you can always sell it and break even. Part of the reason for saying that is you will be surprised at how good the AF has gotten from the past cameras. You should have at least one lens that can auto focus. Also it will allow you to learn and use a ton of other features and settings that the manual lenses don't support. The "P" mode is great as is the Tav mode etc. I'm willing to bet that the 18-55 will give you better pictures than that Vivitar. Last, it is much wider than your current lens line up and there's a big difference from 28mm to 18mm particularly indoors. There's not much bad about that lens. Yes the 16-45 has higher resolution but the 18-55 offers a lot for about $60 in a bundle. Plus isn't there a rebate still on in the US on that package? If so you almost get it free.
07-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As long as these lenses are Pentax K mount they will work. There are a few versions out there (very few) that have a longer 'collar' that is beside the aperture lever. Those will not fit the new bodies. Just have a look at your 50mm 1.7 to compare, if they appear similar to that lens then you're fine. With these lenses you listed you will have to set the aperture ring to "permitted" in the camera's menu (only have to do it once and forget it). Then you will shoot everything in manual mode for the most part.

I would suggest that for the money, get the 18-55 when you buy the camera. It's a very decent lens and dirt cheap as a bundle. IMHO you'd regret not getting it later and if you don't use it much you can always sell it and break even. Part of the reason for saying that is you will be surprised at how good the AF has gotten from the past cameras. You should have at least one lens that can auto focus. Also it will allow you to learn and use a ton of other features and settings that the manual lenses don't support. The "P" mode is great as is the Tav mode etc. I'm willing to bet that the 18-55 will give you better pictures than that Vivitar. Last, it is much wider than your current lens line up and there's a big difference from 28mm to 18mm particularly indoors. There's not much bad about that lens. Yes the 16-45 has higher resolution but the 18-55 offers a lot for about $60 in a bundle. Plus isn't there a rebate still on in the US on that package? If so you almost get it free.
Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply. There IS a rebate but I'm not sure if it's $50 for the body and $100 if you get the 18-55 lens or what. I'm just excited if I'll be able to use my old tried-and-true lenses. That make this seem like a real bargain and I get to be a Pentax man again. I really appreciate your quick reply. I'm going to Oshkosh in 10 days and I want to shoot airplanes. Wait, that didn't sound quite right. I hope the 'gummint' ain't reading my emails...

07-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply. There IS a rebate but I'm not sure if it's $50 for the body and $100 if you get the 18-55 lens or what.
$50 rebate is for the body, whether you buy it with or without the 18-55 kit lens (this kit lens does NOT provide extra rebate).

If you buy certain other items (lenses, flashes) they have their own rebates; one exception is the 50-200 lens which by itself has $50 rebate but if bought together with a body then the combined rebate is increased to $150.
07-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I was (and still am) confused by the whole rebate thing. I saw a bunch of lenses and other items on the right side of the rebate brochure but don't understand what they mean. For instance, it says that the AF-540FGZ Flash has a $50 cash back offer. Does that mean that I can get a $50 rebate if I buy one before July 31st? I think I just answered my own question but I want to be sure.
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For instance, it says that the AF-540FGZ Flash has a $50 cash back offer. Does that mean that I can get a $50 rebate if I buy one before July 31st? I think I just answered my own question but I want to be sure.
Yes you got it right; each item on that form qualifies for a rebate on its own, no need to buy in combo with anything else. Just one exception as I mentioned before is the body ($50r) and the 50-200 lens ($50r) combine to give $150 rebate.
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #11

Thanx, Kguru. I thik I spent enough money in the last two days that a new flash and lens will have to wait.
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Pentax-M will (as others have posted) work, but with a number of limitations. You can only meter using spot metering in "stop down" mode, where you place the camera in manual mode and hit the green button to make it stop down the aperture to take a meter reading.

As to the others - Do they have an "A" setting on the aperture ring? Lenses with automatic aperture are FAR easier to use with the K10D/K100D than lenses without, but at least unlike other camera manufacturers, the really old (K/M) lenses will still work.
07-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #13

I'm not sure what you mean by using spot metering in "stop-down mode". I mean, you explained HOW to do it, I just don't know why to do it or what it does.

As far as having an "A" on the lenses. They are old and don't have any markings other than for aperture and focusing. I guess I'll just fiddle around with them for a while and see. I get the camera this Wednesday (FedEx permitting) but only have a few days to get it right before I go to Oshkosh for the big airshow. I need to have it figured out by then, so I may let the guy who's going with me drive while I read the manual and experiment.
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean by using spot metering in "stop-down mode". I mean, you explained HOW to do it, I just don't know why to do it or what it does.

As far as having an "A" on the lenses. They are old and don't have any markings other than for aperture and focusing. I guess I'll just fiddle around with them for a while and see. I get the camera this Wednesday (FedEx permitting) but only have a few days to get it right before I go to Oshkosh for the big airshow. I need to have it figured out by then, so I may let the guy who's going with me drive while I read the manual and experiment.
Hi Griduser, here's a quick step by step and a few explanations
To shoot with manual lenses (I'll use your K 1.7 as an example)
1) After mounting the lens, go to the custom menu and set the "use aperture ring" to "allowed" After you do this once you can forget this step. The camera will remember.
2) Change the dial mode to M (for manual)
EDIT 2a) Almost forgot, when prompted plug in 50mm so your camera knows the size of the lens for the anti shake. (don't have anti shake so I forget this one alot)
3) You will have a choice of two metering modes; center weighted and spot. Spot means just that, where ever your little red square is on the grid that is the spot the camera will read to get the light settings, center weighted means it takes an average but gives much more weight to the light in the center of the viewfinder. I don't own a K10D, but I know the DS defaults to center weighted.
4)Frame and focus your shot, then briefly press the "green" button. If the K10D is like the DS you will hear the noises of the mirror flipping up and camera metering the light and stopping down the lens, this is what is called stop down mode
5)press the shutter and take your shot.

All of this sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I have a whole bunch of manual lenses and can shoot almost as quickly with them as with the newest and fastest lenses I own. Pretty much it's frame/focus press button, press shutter. It really is that quick

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
07-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #15

1) After mounting the lens, go to the custom menu and set the "use aperture ring" to "allowed" After you do this once you can forget this step. The camera will remember.

Do I change this back when I switch back to the 18-50 kit lens?

2) Change the dial mode to M (for manual)

I forgot to do this part but the camera worked. What did I miss out on by forgetting this step?

EDIT 2a) Almost forgot, when prompted plug in 50mm so your camera knows the size of the lens for the anti shake. (don't have anti shake so I forget this one alot)

I never saw any kind of prompt to tell me to plug in a lens (actually, the lens was already on the camera. Was this a problem?).

4)Frame and focus your shot, then briefly press the "green" button.

I forgot this part, too. I think I'm going to have to try this again when I have more time (and am more awake).

Here's another question for you. The manual said to turn off Anti-Shake when using a tripod. I tried it both ways and it seems like leaving it on was better. Why does the manual suggest turning it off?

Thanx for all your help and patience.