Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was given this lens for Xmas. So far so good...
I only took it out once, but the images it produced were more than pleasing. At 10 mm the distortion is bit more noticable than I thouhgt, but It's worth it. And for the price it comes, no competition...

01-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #17

I'm also looking at this lens at the moment. Does anyone know of the best price for it in the UK? The best I've been able to find so far is £289.99.
01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

microglobe

QuoteOriginally posted by susanc Quote
I'm also looking at this lens at the moment. Does anyone know of the best price for it in the UK? The best I've been able to find so far is £289.99.
Have a look at this web page.
Digital Camera Lens Sigma 17 70mm 18 125mm 18 50mm 30mm 50 150mm 50mm 18 50mm 18 200mm 10 20mm super wide angle f3.5-5.6 f3.5-6.3 lens for nikon canon pentax sigma sony minolta cameras

I'm not sure if it's the same source as yours but the price is the same. If they have it in stock for delivery, they'll ship vie Royal Mail's Next day special delivery. It'll cost you extra 8 GBP
regards...
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi susanc

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
As far as I know, the deal sounds about right for the U.K. at today's prices. The U.K. importers of Sigma suffered two major break-ins at their Hertfordshire warehouse some months back and lost a LOT of stock, hence the recent shortage of this optic in Pentax mount. IMHO it's a cracking lens for not much money, when compared to Pentax's 12-24mm zoom. I doubt whether you'd have any regrets after trying one out.....just make sure you leave your credit card safely at home, otherwise this particular 10-20mm is bound to put a large hole through it. Just don't say you weren't warned in advance ! It may well change the way you approach taking panoramic photographs for good.....

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Here are some superb images taken with the Sigma 10-20mm. Just click on the blue 'links' below:

Emerald Pond on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

gothic symmetry on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Die ganze Welt on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Perurail on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sunset at the Mount on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Confused; 01-11-2008 at 06:03 PM.
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi susanc

It may well change the way you approach taking panoramic photographs for good.....

Best regards
Richard
Agree there, I had it out only once so far, but it was for the first time I was able to do thing which I wanted but couldn't with DA 18-55...
01-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #21

axl and Confused - thanks for your help. Just need to convince the other half that he really wants me to have this lens.
01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 10-20 and it is the best landscape lens I have. If you prowl around on Flickr too, you'll see that a large number of the really excellent landscape photogs use this lens.

I'm just waiting now for DxO Optics to come out with a correction set for the K10D and the Sigma 10-20 combination. Post-processing the pics through that software would put the icing on the cake, so to speak

I also have the DA*16-50 SDM, and comparing the two lenses at the 16mm mark, the Pentax is a fair bit sharper at all apertures, edge to edge. But you get what you pay for, and with the Sigma you get the extra 6mm of wide angle. It's not really a fair comparison. I don't have the Pentax 12-24 to compare, unfortunately.

My bottom line advice - get the Sigma 10-20, and have it fitted on the camera when walking in National Parks etc, also indoors. You won't regret it.

01-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got one, and I just love the field of view you get with this lens. If you need to do some low-light stuff, it might be just a tad slow though.

Here's an image I made that compares the field of view you get from different focal lengths:
01-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #24

Bit the bullet and bought one. Expecting delivery today.

One thing to bear in mind is that it takes 77mm filters and decent ones are expensive.
01-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi susanc

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
decent ones are expensive
Funny that, the same goes for chocolates, mistresses (high maintenance !), luxury saloons and country estates....not that I'd know, of course !

Hence the phrase "Champagne tastes but beer money".........
You really should have bought a P&S instead, he said patronisingly.......lol ! Welcome to the world of DSLR's and depleted bank accounts !!!!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-11-2008 at 07:35 AM.
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi susanc

Re your observation:

Funny that, the same goes for chocolates, mistresses (high maintenance !), luxury saloons and country estates....not that I'd know, of course !

Hence the phrase "Champagne tastes but beer money".........
You really should have bought a P&S instead, he said patronisingly.......lol ! Welcome to the world of DSLR's and depleted bank accounts !!!!

Best regards
Richard
I've no experience of mistresses, luxury saloons or country estates, but I'll agree about the chocolate.

Seriously though, having only had a need for filters up to 58mm so far, I hadn't given that much thought to the cost. At 77mm, two good filters will cost nearly as much as lens! Ouch.
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just to give a past link

please click here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11523-sigma-10...html#post92386
01-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hadn't logged into this forum for the past few days, and was surprised when I did to notice additional responses to a thread which I started 6 months ago. FWIW, I purchased the Sigma 10-20mm lens shortly after my original posting, and have been quite pleased with it. Thus far I've used it mainly indoors taking pictures for an auctioneer buddy of mine, but plan to give it a good workout in March when my wife and I visit Guanajuato and San Miguel d Allende on a photo excursion with a pro named Mike Matlach. Regarding Derridale's comments about landscape photography, I remember reading somewhere (perhaps on this forum) that an extreme wide-angle lens was really not a good choice for such because of their distorted perspective. By that I mean their tendency to make molehills out of mountains in the background, for example. I can certainly see their value insofar as their extreme depth of field, however. Anyone (Derridale?) care to comment about this?

CN
01-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #29
Inactive Account

All ultra wide rectilinear lenses have distorted perspective, especially around the edges, and that's it. Even the ultra expensive olympus 7-14, that I tried. But if you wanna go wide, there's no better lens than Sigma 10-20. I use it for interiors and landscapes. Just be carefull not to put some faces near the edges.
Here is one example that shows all flaws, but also the fun of using such lens.

01-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by susanc Quote
I've no experience of mistresses, luxury saloons or country estates, but I'll agree about the chocolate.

Seriously though, having only had a need for filters up to 58mm so far, I hadn't given that much thought to the cost. At 77mm, two good filters will cost nearly as much as lens! Ouch.
True, but if you buy 77mm filters & step-up rings you can use the 77mm filters on any lens that takes a 77mm or smaller filter. That way you only have to buy one set of filters. Good, no?