Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Pentax Spotting Scope as a Lens?

Hi All,

Not sure if this belongs in this category or in the DSLR section, but it seems more a lens issue.

For 20 years or so, I've had a Pentax 500R spotting scope buried away in a drawer. Just excavated it, and wonder if I can use it as a lens with my K200D. I don't know if I have the original instructions which came with the scope, and a web search has come up with nothing, so I thought I'd throw this out to you folks. Any chance that I could mount this to my camera? Here's a picture of the scope in its case:

Attached Images

03-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it use interchangeable eyepieces or is it a "fixed" magnification?

I believe the 500R is a Maksutov.
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

have fun

I don't know this or any spotting scopes, but that won't slow me down.

Try to unscrew the casing around the eyepeice. If it doesn't unscrew, forget it.

If it does unscrew, measure the distance across the threads. If that diameter is around 42mm (1 11/16") you might have an M42 mount, or a T-mount. If not, forget it.

If it is around 42mm, take the lens to a camera store and ask if they can tell whether it's M42 or a T-mount. If they say it isn't, forget it.

If they don't know, or if there's no camera store around, you can go online and buy M42-PK and T-PK adapters. If you don't want to risk your money here, forget it.

If you *can* fit an adapter to the lens, congratulations!! You now have a telephoto lens with no automation, no aperture control, no DOF scale, and you must bend your head at a usually-painful angle to use it. Enjoy.
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

try a web search for "digiscoping"

lots of folks use this scope for digiscoping.

03-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I finally excavated the instructions for the spotting scope and learned that I can unscrew the prism to make the spotting scope into a mirror lens by using a k-mount adapter. The ring around the rear of the lens is inscribed 1:8. For the low price of ~$35 I can give this mirror lens a try, and now that my curiosity is piqued, I'll do it.

Rhodopsin, thanks for "digiscoping." I'd never come across the term before and you're right that there's a LOT on the web about it.
03-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

$35.00??!! Here is one from a seller I've used many times.
T-MOUNT FOR PENTAX K MOUNT - eBay (item 390165992968 end time Apr-04-10 10:56:58 PDT)
03-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Banned

K-7 & PF-CA35 K-mount adapter w/spotting scopes

I use my K-7 & PF-CA35 K-mount adapter with my Pentax PF80-ED and Celestron Regal 100 F-ED APO spotting scope that I just received yesterday.
Pentax PF-CA35 K-Mount DSLR Camera Adapter:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/pentax-pf-ca35-kmount-slr-camera-adapter-70510.html

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8RELdoE0s[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sg_-B7DTHQ[/yt]

Last edited by jogiba; 03-12-2010 at 07:29 AM.
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is the ultimate movie using a scope (IMHO), not mine of course but made by a German gentleman in his back yard using a 5" scope.

Click to launch a 3 MB movie (DivX required)

10-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few days ago another PentaxForum member sent me a PM asking if I had used the spotting scope as a lens and asking me if I still had the instructions which came with the lens. I'm sorry to say that I accidentally deleted my correspondence with him and can't recall his name

If you're the fella, here are the front and back pages of the one-sheet instructions, and an enlargement of the portion which talks about the procedure for mounting the spotting scope to a camera:

I thought others might be interested in this also, so am posting here.
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

looks like if you have the correct adaptor you can use it as a 500mm lens.

I would be interested in what is in the CA-35 adaptor that Jogiba shows, to know if it has any internal magnification or whether it is only a tube to fit the eyepeice.

I use a celestron C90 spotting scope, which came with a T mount adaptor and I have nikon and pentax camera mounts for it. works well but you need a real steady tripod.

I also found on my celestron the tripod mount was attached through the rubber armour, which led to all sorts of shake issues until I removed it.
02-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Alaska,

Would you sell this 500 spotting scope?

Many thanks
02-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am also interested in the value of the Pentax PF-CA35. At $420, does it have something inside it that makes it much more valuable than the Bushnell T mount adapter at $23?

I would really appreciate a responce to that. Jobiga?

Thanks
02-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tundraguide Quote
Greetings from Alaska,

Would you sell this 500 spotting scope?

Many thanks
Ummmm if you look, that post is nearly a year old. Why not PM or email the OP with your question instead? Probably quicker that way too.
02-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't know this or any spotting scopes, but that won't slow me down.

Try to unscrew the casing around the eyepeice. If it doesn't unscrew, forget it.

If it does unscrew, measure the distance across the threads. If that diameter is around 42mm (1 11/16") you might have an M42 mount, or a T-mount. If not, forget it.

If it is around 42mm, take the lens to a camera store and ask if they can tell whether it's M42 or a T-mount. If they say it isn't, forget it.

If they don't know, or if there's no camera store around, you can go online and buy M42-PK and T-PK adapters. If you don't want to risk your money here, forget it.

If you *can* fit an adapter to the lens, congratulations!! You now have a telephoto lens with no automation, no aperture control, no DOF scale, and you must bend your head at a usually-painful angle to use it. Enjoy.
you forgot the crucial last point Rico, if all this seems like too much trouble i'll take it off your hands for $10 to feed my optics addiction
or is not saying that part of the 12 step on the way to recovery