Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F 35-70 worth repairing?

I have a F-35-70 that is mostly in great condition except there are some spots inside the lens. I think it is oil, doesn't look like fungus.
Is it possible/worth repairing it?

Thanks

Swift1

03-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good question. I have no experience with the lens myself but, judging from the reviews, it seems like it's a better lens than the market value might suggest. It depends on how much repair would cost, of course, but I have a bias toward the preservation of good glass
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got mine for $10 on eBay, and it's in nearly perfect shape other than a minor cosmetic blemish (rubber inset with serial number has slightly raised corners). Seems to me it would be a lot less hassle to just find another one. There's no lack of them, and they're often found as the kit lens on broken cameras.
03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got mine from a forum member, and it cost me $35 shipped. I just checked on Ebay, and there's one there now:

F35-70 link

I really like this lens!

03-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The repair costs likely exceed the price of the lens, one big reason I started doing my own repairs. For me, the question becomes "can I get this thing apart without wrecking it and together without missing pieces?"

The rear-most element in the A and F 35-70s is easy to get to; it's in the mount. You'll have to follow similar procedures for removing and reinstalling the mount like in this article. The next three elements are in a group that unscrews as a unit. Probably the front elements are accessible from the front.
03-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. Is there anyone who services these lenses?

Swift1
03-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the same thing with mine but have never had them effect any of my pictures taken with the lens. So never really thought about having it fixed
03-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The rear-most element in the A and F 35-70s is easy to get to; it's in the mount. You'll have to follow similar procedures for removing and reinstalling the mount like in this article. The next three elements are in a group that unscrews as a unit. Probably the front elements are accessible from the front.
How does one go about opening the front of the lens?

Thanks,

Swift1

03-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
How does one go about opening the front of the lens?
That stepped plastic ring around the front element either is screwed into the filter threads or glued on. You can sometimes tell with careful inspection. A thin plastic blade can usually pop this off without damage either way; I sometimes use an old Sensor Swab with the cleaning pad removed. Behind it are probably screws that hold the filter ring on. It looks like the front lens group has spanner slots to remove that too.