Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any site with complete list of what lens fit each camera brand?

Hi,
I'm about to buy my first DSLR (probably Pentax K-X).
It's not straight forward to check what lens are available and what prices 2nd hand & new.
Is there any website/page explaining what type of lens fit what make?
From what I know:
some bodies won't auto focus if it doesn't have a motor and lens is certain type
some brands accept 3rd party lens
some brands accept 3rd party lens if an adaptor is used
etc.
I'm looking at kit lens, nifty fifty, zoom (X- 200 or 300). That would be it for the first while but, who knows, could always want more as I go along.
I'm looking for budget/2nd hand...
Cheers,
Patrick.

03-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the top of the page is a menubar; the 'lenses' item takes you to the lens review and specification database on this site.

Note: be aware of the Ricoh pin which might lock your Ricoh lens forever on your camera; just do a search here.
03-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Patrick:

Ah, an intro to lenses! When I decided to buy a dSLR two years ago, I looked for what my very good compact camera couldn't do, and what lenses would do that, and what body supported those lenses, and what I could afford. The search led me to the Pentax K20D, DA10-17 fisheye, DA18-250 superzoom, and fast FA50/1.4. Someone else might choose the DA12-24 ultrawide, DA18-55 kit lens, DA55-300 superzoom, and a DA40/2.8 pancake or fast DA*55/1.4. These are all good, new lenses with autofocus (AF) and of course aperture automation.

Since then I've bought TOO MANY lenses, mostly used, mostly manual focus, sometimes manual aperture. Some of those lenses have the Pentax bayonet K-mount (often called PK); many have the 42mm screwmount (called M42). Pentax cameras support a vast array of these 'legacy' lenses, but M42's require adapters (and we have many arguments about the merits of different types). Almost all PK mount lenses will work on Pentax dSLRs, EXCEPT the infamous Petri KR mount with its deadly pin.

When I say the camera 'supports' lenses, or that a lens 'works' on a camera, there may be limitations with older lenses. M42's and many PK lenses have no autofocus, no aperture automation, no interactive communication between lens and camera. These can still be used the good old-fashioned way (i.e., learn how they work) and many have superior optics at bargain prices. And some are shite, but that's how it goes. To learn about zillions of lenses, their good and not-so-good points, see Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - Main Index (Pentax brand) and PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Main Index (other brands). Have fun.
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I dount there's a sinlge page that explains all combinations for all makes. You'd do better to consider each make separately. I understand the story for Canon and Nikon is pretty complicated. Luckily, in the case of lenses made for Pentax - third party or not - it's extraordinarily simple:

If it's a K-mount/bayonet lens, it fits. That's basically every lens made for Pentax in the last 30 years or so.

If it's a M42/screwmount instead of K-mount (generally meaning it's older than that, although I'm sure some M42 lenses continued to be produce), it fits with an adapter.

If the lens is an autofcus lens, it autofocuses on any Pentax DSLR. There are no Pentax DSLR's that lack a focus motor.

If the lens is an auto aperture lens (aperture can be set by the camera: either via an "A" position on the aperture ring, or no aperture ring at all is present), then it works as such on any Pentax DSLR. if the lens lacks this ability, then it can still be used, but the camera can't control the aperture, so you generally need to use M mode.

The exceptions to this are very very few. A couple of extremely early and pretty rare AF lenses that used a totally different principle than modern ones, and a couple of modern AF lenses that include focus motors but *don't* include a way for older cameras that don't know about lens motors to operate them (DA17-70, DA*55). The cameras that don't know about lens motors are the "ist" series, the K110D, and the non-Super version of the K100D.