Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are these lens worth? (photos)

Hi!

I'm bidding on a Vivitar 28 f/2.5 screwmount and saw that the seller had 2 other lens, and he/she is willing to do combined shipping. I asked for some more detailed photos.

Please can you check them and let me know what these lens are worth?

Thanks a lot!

Deni

07-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 135 is worth probably about $30, tops. (Not knocking it, I have the same lens practically welded to my camera).

I really couldn't say on the other two. But on all of them I'd want to know what that crap is on the glass before I paid a nickel for them. I do hope that's just some fuzzy fiber that he didn't bother to clean off.
07-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There looks to be something (like lens element separation or something) on the Vivitar. I wouldn't pay too much for that anyway - I bought one for $5 and sold it for $20.

The Super-Tak 35/3.5 is a nice little lens, I too would confirm that the seller just left a bunch of lint on it. It looks like your seller tried to 'clean them up' for the photos - always a bad thing. I would put this one based on its condition in the $20-25 range.

I would put the 135/3.5 at about $25-30.

You can always check for historical eBay sales by clicking on the 'Completed Listings' check box. You should see quite a few results for both of these lenses as they are common. (Remember that having original caps and being in good condition always makes these more expensive. These look so-so.)
07-09-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This doesn't look good .

I started bidding without doing the homework first, i.e. checking these lens before. I wanted something wider than the 50mm super takumar I have and I read the vivitar 28 f/2.5 is a supposedly good lens. I'm bidding for it (now at $26) but have a higher max bid .

The seller has 99.6% positive feedback, so I hope the lens are clean, and it's just some sort of dust from the outside the that's showing on the lens .

Thanks

Deni

07-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
This doesn't look good .

I started bidding without doing the homework first, i.e. checking these lens before. I wanted something wider than the 50mm super takumar I have and I read the vivitar 28 f/2.5 is a supposedly good lens. I'm bidding for it (now at $26) but have a higher max bid .

The seller has 99.6% positive feedback, so I hope the lens are clean, and it's just some sort of dust from the outside the that's showing on the lens .

Thanks

Deni
It's an OK lens, certainly not the worst. I had both the 28/2.5 and 135/2.8 Vivitars and they both are sharp. The bokeh doesn't match their Pentax equivalents.

Part of the problem with the 28mm lenses (all of them, not just the Vivitar) is that 28mm once was 'wide' whereas now it is more 'wide-normal' - and hence the role of the lens has changed. The old 28s were designed to be sharp, light and relatively well-corrected at f/8-f/11. Today they're taking roles that see them at f/5.6, f/4, or even wide open, and they're not all equally equipped to do the job. It's not that they're bad lenses, just that they're being used outside of their design. It would be like complaining that your 100mm lens with 3x teleconverter is softer than a 300mm lens.
07-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I needed a wider lens than the 50mm because I tend to do a lot of "across the table" photography with my friends/family and I need a fast lens so I don't have to use the annoying flash.

I've also ordered a split screen focusing screen for my k100d as I'm hunting more cheap manual focus lens (very tight budget).

Thanks for the replies!

Deni
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a 135/2.8 lens is great for across the table candids and portraits. I recently got the MC Helios-44K-4 58mm f2 and its a great lens. (Russian copy of Zeiss Biotar) On a dslr, its an equivalent 87mm f2 in 35mm terms..so a nice short tele. Its sharp and the bokeh is very nice. A good and fairly fast option to consider if you are on a tight budget.

The Helios-44 typically comes in its "M" (M42) form but you might not want to fuss with a Screwmount to K adapter especially at the dinner table. Try hunting around for a Helios-44K (K for K Mount).

I just got the lens and haven't done anything major but I'll post some photos soon.

I'm sure vivitar is a good lens especially considering it was made by Komine, but like the others said, the lens won't really be wide turning out an equivalent 42mm on a cropped sensor like that on the K100D.

07-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
a 135/2.8 lens is great for across the table candids and portraits. I recently got the MC Helios-44K-4 58mm f2 and its a great lens. (Russian copy of Zeiss Biotar) On a dslr, its an equivalent 87mm f2 in 35mm terms..so a nice short tele. Its sharp and the bokeh is very nice. A good and fairly fast option to consider if you are on a tight budget.

The Helios-44 typically comes in its "M" (M42) form but you might not want to fuss with a Screwmount to K adapter especially at the dinner table. Try hunting around for a Helios-44K (K for K Mount).

I just got the lens and haven't done anything major but I'll post some photos soon.

I'm sure vivitar is a good lens especially considering it was made by Komine, but like the others said, the lens won't really be wide turning out an equivalent 42mm on a cropped sensor like that on the K100D.
Eventually I was out bid the last second of the auction . I was/am looking for a shorter/wider lens than the 50mm (I have one that I like) because I find the 50mm is too long for me. So a 135mm would help me if I want to take macro photos of the skin of my subjects . The 58mm won't help either as I said I find the 50mm a bit too long.

IMO the 35mm or 28mm range would be better. What 28mm or 35mm fast lens should I look for that is cheap ?