Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Igilligan

Super Tak 300 F4

Gary, the Legendary Damn Brit loaned me his super tak 300 F4 the other day...
The most amazing thing about this lens is that it has about a 20ft minimum focus distance... almost all the way across my patio!~!!! Crazy long.
I took a couple of quick shots with it and it is pretty sharp and has that tak rendering like my 200 F4 that I like a lot.

I will shoot a few more when the rain stops... but it really does remind me of the super tak 200 F4...

03-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contrary to my very early expectations for wide angle and telephoto lenses, I found I use them most at close range. Today, both my SupTak 200/4 and 300/4 seem to sport stackable 12mm and/or 25mm extension rings to optimize close focus without the unwanted effects of a teleconverter.

I've also found by experience that both those M42 era lenses prefer the older M42 teleconverters placed before the M42-to-K adapter rather than the newer K-mount adapters if TCs are used. I've been meaning to modify one of those to permanently incorporate M42 and PK mounts for convenience.

Specifically, both of mine fair best with the older screw-mount Vivitars with the silver body. Fortunately they're a dime-a-dozen now and also easily converted to 25mm extension rings.

The ST 300/4 is a real pleasure to fondl. . .er, handle too.

H2

03-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Super Tak is as beautifully crafted as all of the other takumars. I have not used mine that much since I got a Tair 3 but the Super Tack is definately smaller and lighter. I found with mine that it is a bit soft and has quite a lot of purple fringing wide open, anyone else find this?
The main hastle I had with the Super Tak 300mm is mounting and removing it as the tripod mount fouls on the cameras built in flash and so has to be loostened and the lens screwed on slowly. I eventually got fed up with this and fitted a flanged K mount adapter and adjusted the infinity focus distance. This is the only Takumar I have found so far which has enough adjustment to get infinity focus with the flanged adapter. You don't even have to dismantle this lens to adjust the focus as the locking screws are on the focus grip and easily accessible.
03-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More ST 300/4

The tripod mount is a PITA but its easily removed and not a factor when the PK-adapter is mounted first. And it's true that it can be a little soft. The CA/PF sort'a comes with that vintage lens but its barely noticeable in this sort of lighting.

Here's a coupl'a images that demonstrate the lens' versatility using my super-sophisticated test targets and a K100DS (6 meg JPG). The tractor's at about 70 yards at F4.5 (ISO 200) and the screen's at about 11 feet at F8 with a 12mm extension ring (ISO 400). Cropped, re-sized and with 2-units each of contrast and sharpening in Faststone Viewer. I don't notice an obvious difference between the K100 and K200 sensors for practical applications.

Not quite DA* 300 results nor a great choice for cropped 8x10's but light enough to easily hand hold and only about 1/10th the cost.

H2

And, yes, that's a wild turkey.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
03-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Damn Brit

It's actually ONLY about 18ft.
At least you didn't disturb the cat.
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same lens, and loved it on my K100D.
It was by far my favorite lens for birding. I'll have to dig up those Eagle shots I got with it again.

However it has the worst case of CA on my Sigma imaginable

Now that I'm shooting film I really should take it out again, and restore some of that old love
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Contrary to my very early expectations for wide angle and telephoto lenses, I found I use them most at close range. Today, both my SupTak 200/4 and 300/4 seem to sport stackable 12mm and/or 25mm extension rings to optimize close focus without the unwanted effects of a teleconverter.

I've also found by experience that both those M42 era lenses prefer the older M42 teleconverters placed before the M42-to-K adapter rather than the newer K-mount adapters if TCs are used. I've been meaning to modify one of those to permanently incorporate M42 and PK mounts for convenience.

Specifically, both of mine fair best with the older screw-mount Vivitars with the silver body. Fortunately they're a dime-a-dozen now and also easily converted to 25mm extension rings.

The ST 300/4 is a real pleasure to fondl. . .er, handle too.

H2

I have the 200/f4 Super Tak and also a Vivitar M42 2X converter. I have had some excellent results from that combination. Probably my only complaint is that it is quite heavy and I haven't had much success hand holding it. On the 300, it would be an even heavier combo. I bought the converter off Ebay for $10. The box was old and faded but the TC appeared to be brand new and never unpacked. There always seem to be a few listed.