Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the new Sigma (bigma) be worth it?

I see that Amazon has the new Bigma available for pre-order: Amazon.com: Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SLD Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital DSLR Camera: Electronics

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is this lens going to be worth the $1600 amazon is asking or should we be grabbing up the APO models now before the price jumps?

04-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I am in love... Samples from the new bigma (non pentax Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Sigma’s new “Bigma” 50-500mm Super-tele Zoom (now with OS)
04-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't check the link out yet. Like most people, I got a Bigma for half the going price now, so it's hard to say if I'd pay that much for it. I will say that there's not really another lens out there (even at the current price) that does what the Bigma does. Of course, the OS in this lens is less valuable for Pentaxians as we've had SR for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the OS worked better, but the SR is good enough, and it's free.

One interesting thing is that the new Bigma is no longer designated as one of their EX lenses like the older version is. I don't know if that indicates any reduction in quality. More likely, it's just a shift in how they want to use the designation. However, I'll say that the designation is well earned as far as I'm concerned.

Not that you asked, but here are some of my favorite Bigma shots. It's a Bigma celebration!

04-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I understood them right, it's not called "EX" anymore because it doesn't offer constant aperture over its zoom range.

05-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A copy of the Bigma EX DG showed up in our local classifieds in like new condition, and I snapped it up.

I just don't think the additional $800+ will be worth it for HSM and OS when we all have SR.

The AF on this lens isn't that noisy, and generally speaking, without seeing the new lens, it seems that HSM is slower to autofocus than our screw driven AF.
05-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I received a used Bigma for Xmas and I have had a great time taking pictures of the wildlife here. It is a very versatile lens, although heavy. I have gotten used to carrying it and the monopod around. I use the OpTech camera strap with the long lens adapter strap. It makes the whole thing manageable.

Good luck with it.