Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 40
Why do Pentax limit sales of the 1.7x AF TC

Pentax seem to be in big trouble. Major high street retailers in the UK (& elsewhere?) don't even stock their DSLR's.

The 1.7x TC is a unique & useful product. It turns a DA* 300 F4 into a much lighter & shaper 500mm F6.7 than a Bigma & in good light also AF's with my DA 55-300mm.

With some complications, it will also AF t-adapter lenses.

Yet it only seems to on sale in Japan.

Does anyone know a sensible or logical reason for this?

03-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
Does anyone know a sensible or logical reason for this?
It ceased production years ago .. It seems Pentax (Hoya) have just started making it again in very small numbers and from the looks of it they can sell all that they make (from Japan).

As for being in big trouble .. people come, people go .. pentax is still here.
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
It ceased production years ago .. It seems Pentax (Hoya) have just started making it again in very small numbers and from the looks of it they can sell all that they make (from Japan).

As for being in big trouble .. people come, people go .. pentax is still here.
Very interesting.

I hope you are right about the brand. They do bite the dust sometimes.
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Damn Brit
Guest




I think Pentax are still very budget conscious. Better to sell all they make than to have them lying around. Lenses are made in production runs so it's also likely that the TC has a lower priority when it comes to scheduling.

03-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
Very interesting.

I hope you are right about the brand. They do bite the dust sometimes.
I bought my K10D used from this forum 2 years ago now (to the month) and there were people saying the same thing then. I think Pentax are a lot better now than they were when I joined.
03-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I bought my K10D used from this forum 2 years ago now (to the month) and there were people saying the same thing then. I think Pentax are a lot better now than they were when I joined.
I think the K-x & the Pentax lenses I have seen are terrific & I sold half my Canon kit on Ebay to buy them before Xmas.

The history of the 1.7x TC has changed my view a bit. Jessops etc don't sell Pentax SLR's but they are losing money too.
03-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
Because the 1.7x teleconverter is not ROHS compliant. They're still using the old manufacturing parts and techniques to make it, and there's lead in the lenses. ROHS regulations prohibit the sale of such products within the European Union, and presumably there are other similar regulations for North America. This means sale of the 1.7x teleconverter by Pentax is limited to within Japan for the most part.
03-13-2010, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Because the 1.7x teleconverter is not ROHS compliant. They're still using the old manufacturing parts and techniques to make it, and there's lead in the lenses. ROHS regulations prohibit the sale of such products within the European Union, and presumably there are other similar regulations for North America. This means sale of the 1.7x teleconverter by Pentax is limited to within Japan for the most part.
I'll have to stop cleaning the lens with my tongue then

03-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
Jessops etc don't sell Pentax SLR's but they are losing money too.
Jessops aren't selling Pentax purely because Hoya refused them the credit needed to carry the brand. Instead of admitting this to the public Jessops have instead told everyone they pulled them from their shops as Pentax could no longer offer anything interesting to their customers .. which is trash, especially if you look at the K-x and K-7 now. If you notice Jessops also no longer stock Sigma lenses because, according to them, Tamron are superior .. nothing to do with Sigma pulling their credit as well then.
03-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Because the 1.7x teleconverter is not ROHS compliant. They're still using the old manufacturing parts and techniques to make it, and there's lead in the lenses. ROHS regulations prohibit the sale of such products within the European Union, and presumably there are other similar regulations for North America. This means sale of the 1.7x teleconverter by Pentax is limited to within Japan for the most part.
That is interesting information.
If its indeed the case, at least it does mean that many older items might still be available in Japan. This seems to be the case for A50/1.2 as well, but isn't ROHS compliance applicable in Japan as well and the stuff are assembled in Vietnam?
03-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
That is interesting information.
If its indeed the case, at least it does mean that many older items might still be available in Japan. This seems to be the case for A50/1.2 as well, but isn't ROHS compliance applicable in Japan as well and the stuff are assembled in Vietnam?
ROHS is a European Union thing only as far as I know. Other countries have their own legislation which is different and may not apply in the same way. Check it out on Wikipedia.
03-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
I'll have to stop cleaning the lens with my tongue then
no no, by all means, keep doing it
03-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Jessops aren't selling Pentax purely because Hoya refused them the credit needed to carry the brand. Instead of admitting this to the public Jessops have instead told everyone they pulled them from their shops as Pentax could no longer offer anything interesting to their customers .. which is trash, especially if you look at the K-x and K-7 now. If you notice Jessops also no longer stock Sigma lenses because, according to them, Tamron are superior .. nothing to do with Sigma pulling their credit as well then.
So as usual, nothing is quite what it seems

Actually, my local Jessops has a rather third-world look about it. They are immediately opposite a defunct Borders in the local mall. I wouldn't put money on them being there in 12 months.

Thanks for straightening me out on Pentax everyone.
03-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,166
This might be of interest, especially the exemptions!

RoHS - RoHS Exemptions
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
Very interesting.

I hope you are right about the brand. They do bite the dust sometimes.
I heard the same think in a Wolf Camera in 1988. They went through a bankruptcy (along with Ritz) this past year. Some how the CEO was allowed to buy the auctioned off part of Wolf/Ritz or they wouldn't be around. The 2 big companies took it in the ear hole when that happened. Since '88, Polaroid is gone, Minolta is gone (the camera unit) and Sony has the remnants of the camera division.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.7x, af, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-7 sales rank #9 at Amazon.com for DSLR's Mr Hyde Pentax News and Rumors 15 05-10-2010 11:42 PM
Forced Sales of Pentax Gear Getting Me Down DavidWasch General Talk 11 12-20-2009 03:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K2000/K-m body on sales! Smashed Pie Sold Items 3 11-02-2009 08:51 AM
Question Pentax Equipment Limit Fl_Gulfer Site Suggestions and Help 1 09-18-2008 02:16 PM
News regarding Pentax sales organization PeterAM Pentax News and Rumors 4 04-08-2008 10:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top