Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LouD Quote
All great advice. Also keep in mind that birds are designed by evolution to hide from predators and thus screw up autofocus that relies on contrast detection. Try focus lock on something with a hard edge in the same plane of focus as the bird. Beaks are usually pretty good, ditto bird feeders.
Along that same line, little birds move quickly in jerky motions. Even if you have the camera on a tripod to keep the shake down, using a shutter speed of 1/125 will not freeze the movement of these high-energy creatures.

From the reduced photo, the point of focus was not as clear to me as it could be, but the remote may or may not also refocus the lens, depending upon which remote it is and what the camera settings are. I use the wired remote a lot, and, before I tweaked the settings, I had a good deal of trouble with the camera changing my carefully selected point of focus. If you are using the wireless remote and trying to take photos of yourself, the fact that it does not change focus can be a problem if you are moving at all in front of a long lens with little depth of field.

Birding can be challenging stuff.

03-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter

This extreme crop is an illustration of why you need a crop to see the problem. On first glance if you see this photo at full size in the post below, you might say that the focus is on the feeder, not the bird, because the feeder looks fairly sharp uncropped. However, in this 100% crop, the sharpest part of the feeder is in the same plane of focus as the bird, but it is apparent that the bird is moving. (The feeder may be moving as well).
Attached Images

Last edited by GeneV; 03-14-2010 at 10:47 AM.
03-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Here is the full view, reduced, of that shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I don't use a tripod while birding.

Shot with ISO 100 film, so there was no way of cheating
The crop

There's no way I could have gotten the shot while using a tripod... although I may have with a monopod.
For those who don't know, it's not the shutter speed that gives it the effect, it's the motion blur of the background.

03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help

hey thanks for all your help - i do think its me (don't let the mrpentax) fool you into anything (lol).........i will keep at er' and will upload some better pictures when i get it all figured out..........thx again..........great forum.
03-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never a problem here audio.mann,
Birding is tough.

For that panning, that i suggest, it's really only moving the camera along with the subject, then taking the photo at the right time. This takes practice, and I found that the best way is bring along your camera with that lens on to a coffee shop. Then photograph the cars driving along. When you get good at it try the same thing with motorbikes, or even the front plate on a car. The rear plates are tough, but not impossible.
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Never a problem here audio.mann,
Birding is tough.

For that panning, that i suggest, it's really only moving the camera along with the subject, then taking the photo at the right time. This takes practice, and I found that the best way is bring along your camera with that lens on to a coffee shop. Then photograph the cars driving along. When you get good at it try the same thing with motorbikes, or even the front plate on a car. The rear plates are tough, but not impossible.
Ah, you mean that smoking a joint makes it easier to do the panning Will try that.

PS Cannabis coffee shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #23

QuoteQuote:
I found that the best way is bring along your camera with that lens on to a coffee shop. Then photograph the cars driving along. When you get good at it try the same thing with motorbikes, or even the front plate on a car. The rear plates are tough, but not impossible.
I really like that one, something to practice on when there's nothing else to photograph.

03-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #24

Can't seem to post the pic so try this link

Shot with the kx, sigma 24-70 thru glass patio door. heavily cropped, 1/2000 sec. Gotta try this sometime with an open window and a telephoto.
03-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audio.mann Quote
Well Peter - you bring up some interesting thoughts for sure.

1) I have not been shutting of SR and i know that i should have ---- thx
If you were using the remote you don't need to, once you change Drive Mode to Remote the Shake Reduction is disabled.